FPS with AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Jepsertti, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Good points Lazza. Its all too easy for us to assume something is why it is, but we don't know.
    Partly because ISI's communication/transparency isn't that great. But even without that it could be as simple as a small developer with limited recourses and time, being helped and assisted by nVidea because nVidea has a policy of assisting as much as possible, vs AMD not caring much for smaller targets because of their policy.

If that would be the case then lack of tech support for a small developer is serious stuff. because with limited resources it would make sense that they continue to focus on stuff they can influence, and set aside stuff they can not influence.
    Sometimes it can be as simple as that.

What would we want ISI to be doing? chasing ducks over at AMD? spending time and money pursuing something of which the outcome is at best questionable?
    Or focus that time and money on updates, cars, tracks, physics?

And my first post still stands btw. why does someone with a better system them mine have so much issues and I have not?
    I would love to hear just how much time was spend on trying to tweak rf2 and hardware, going back and forth extensively.
    I did, and still do, and it works out for me.

Or are some people assuming a default install will give them x-performance and if not, its ISI's fault, and if not, its AMD's fault, and if not...erm....back to iracing

lopl

2. Mark Greenall

Mark Greenall Registered

There must be some issue with driver ect?
    I have HD6870 (ASUS DIRECT CU) With an i5 3570, I have everything on full exept sun occlusion i turned it off, But still use fxaa and hdr, I even use the 13.11 beta driver without issue, some use 12.11 +cap but i don't need too for some reason. Some tracks like loch drummond i get a drop but not that much

3. Mark Greenall

Mark Greenall Registered

With all respect.. My hd6870 can MAX most games, Assetto corsa , f1 2013 , ect ect, Bit harsh to blame the card.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I am running an AMD 7850 card (twin frozr) with an AMD 6 core system and its running pretty well, Have raced up to 30 humans and other times 25 AI. FPS very seldom under 60 if at all.
    I tried some new drivers and the latest build took graphics up a notch too.
    One day I ight get a second card when they are implemented but then again might not.
    I'm a happy AMD user.

5. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Exactly the setup I'm looking at. FX6300 + 7850. What's the VRAM on yours?

6. Miro

Miro Registered

How about you guys just post in that AMD thread too what you think about it if it's that urgent and bad that nothing happens and also use this link too.
    http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B60

The more people the better I guess. We have posted it on this forum 1000000 times but no one posts it there too. I think it is up to both, ISI and AMD, simple as that.
    ISI needs to improve the code and as they said it's just going to take much longer without help from AMD.
    So before you post here again please just go over there and post what you think about it, maybe it helps.

7. Domi

Domi Registered

And how come this problem only affects rF2, betweem all simracing games?

It's not like Kunos, iRacing etc have super big teams like EA or Codemasters, isn't it?

8. Miro

Miro Registered

There is a "thanks to..." thingy when you close AC down. There you can see Nvidia and AMD. For iRacing I have no idea. Most likely ISI also just doesn't know how the AMD cards work best therefor help would be cool, no?

9. Domi

Domi Registered

Then it's hard to believe that they don't get any support from AMD if AC got it, being (atm) a less important company than ISI. Sorry, but it's really hard to believe.

10. Miro

Miro Registered

So you think ISI has just no interest in contacting AMD for this matter here? Sure, sounds more plausible.
    AC is commercially sure the better train than rF2 and they are on steam. This wans't a emotional impulsive decision, don't you think?

11. MJP

MJP Registered

Go for a 2GB version, the 1GB versions are just false economy.

12. Domi

Domi Registered

Regarding interest, I dont know what to say, considering the different issues the game got since beta release and they are still present. In my opinion, the real question is, "is ISI interested in spending more resources and time to improve the core of the graphics engine?".

iRacing is not on Steam, and AC success is still unknown, their past projects weren't very successful in terms of sales...

13. clock

clock Registered

The solution here is so clear...

You wanna to play Rfactor 2 buy nvidia card.

We were waiting patiently for long time to see some little improvement on our cards, but i lost the faith..I think that ISI is using some libraries provided by Nvidia and that helps nvidia cards but on the other side penalize to much on AMD cards, now that librearies are on the code of rfactor2 and is hard to change them...
    AMD will never improve performance.

Option 2: (my choice) ; 15 june ends my license, no renew license. Now playing on others sims....(we take that decision as team member Virtual Racing (VR), all team members of VR will not renew and move on another sim..

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

How many members.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

dont slam the door on your way out! :rolleyes:

my HD7850 runs just fine with RF2, sure it's not as good as an equivalent nVidea card but it's good enough for me and has improved since the first beta build.

16. clock

clock Registered

We are only 9 members, dont worry, not so much people...

the AMD cards dont run fine, try making a race on silverstone with 20 pilots, and you will see that suddenly you have a drop on fps on some places, and making the screen stuttering and normally make you crash if other pilots are near, the problem is not that your rush away your race, its that your destroyed another pilot race, that in a league is not so good..

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

runs fine FOR ME :)

18. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I'm thinking of going higher than 2GB, so maybe a 7950 then.

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I wasn't worried, just surprised to see that its even possible for admins to tell their members which sim to use.
    If I would try that in our league they would probably just laugh in my face :)

Btw, I see allot of people complaining about fps and whatnot....using Silverstone, online. ISI haven't updated Silverstone yet have they? (still using huge textures) so I don't understand why people would do that if they are struggling with performance?

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

To be fair it sounds more like they voted or something and decided as a group to move. Like you I don't think dictating to members would work very well :)

Well firstly there has (at least) been 'some little improvement', same as there has been on nVidia cards. It's quite possible there'll be more in the fairly near future too, especially if (as seems apparent) there is more to gain on the AMD side.

rFactor 1 also 'favoured' nVidia cards performance wise, so it's possible the engine is designed in such a way that it just inherently performs better on nVidia cards. Maybe there is something small they could change, maybe it would require a complete overhaul. It sounds like nVidia came to the party and helped with testing and analysis to improve performance, if AMD did the same it might improve things massively. If AMD aren't providing help it's very hard for ISI to find where the issue is. And I say that because they haven't found it yet.

Your last line is something you're assuming, and seems extremely unlikely. If you could measure efficiency in some way and estimate that rF2's nVidia efficiency is, say, 90%, while on AMD it's only 60%, there's obviously a lot of scope for improvement. I would hazard a guess and say it won't happen soon, but can't see any reason it won't improve at some point.

What's your theory then? Why is only rF2 affected, since you put it that way? (though to be fair, I think a lot of titles - not just simracing - tend to favour one manufacturer or the other to some extent)