My take on Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Linus27, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I love hearing stuff like this.

Hmmmm, like bike sims/games, it wont be right if it's not implemented, but it won't be right if it's implemented either, as it's all done by button presses. I would hate having to model human, purposely induced, weight shifting in a proper sim, just don't know how to make it real, or real enough. Analog sliders (like a throttle stick in a flight sim controller)? Another set of pedals? Analog paddle shifters (like the ones that can be used for clutches)? Have 4 buttons mapped (forward, backwards, left, right) and hold either button down (or combination of two, eg. Forward and left) and have the virtual driver shift his weight in that direction at a certain rate, up until a certain point, the when you release each button, or both, that button's axis will return to centre? No idea how this would be done.

I honestly never knew there was much human induced weight shifting in a kart, most have custom seats molded and being perfectly planted in the seat molded to your body makes it extremely hard to move, or at least I thought this. Guess I was wrong.

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

TrackIR :)

3. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Wii balance board man!

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh ya! Thats a great idea!!!!!

Then for the people who don't have it (huge majority of players), give them the option to map it somehow.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hahaha

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it were netcode I don't think he'd have excepted the single-make series. Seems much more likely he's saying the actual car selections ISI provides (in each mod) don't provide for any 'interesting' racing.

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

"If you build it they will come." Could be a chicken or egg thing. Several forum posts make me think there is enthusiasm lurking under the surface. I'll bet there are tons of ex and current GPLers out there who would rush to rF2 if a fuller series existed. If not all then at least most of the "series" (cars and tracks). Enough to create a varied but competitive field (like realkman alluded to). And waiting/depending on 3rd party modders will create a patchwork of quality and accuracy, and take forever. I'm resigning myself to the reality that we won't have it within my sim racing life time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  8. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Yeah but those combos get boring after a while. How 'bout Spark F1 on Silverstone, Malaysia & Portugal. Awesome combos and generate good-sized grids when I have hosted in the past.

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

No, just saying it's either the same car for everybody or it's multiclass. The Camaro and Vette can race each other, but other than these two, nada.

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Brabham at Brianza was a fun combo the first week, but it gets boring very fast because it's only 4 corners (where you need to brake and actually can gain time) and the rest is flat out and slipstreaming. It was fun the first week. Brabham at Spa was fun, but not as popular because suddenly it was too hard for beginners. The problem is that people don't want to spend any time at all learning the car, it seems... And Spa is bumpy and unforgiving.

I can really recommend Silverstone for the historic cars. I've done a race there with SR4L (60's F1) and tomorrow I'll race there with USR (Howstons) and it is really fun.
    I think there's not enough Howston so far on the ISI server. Don't be afraid to race them on modern circuits too.

Howston G4 1969 @ Silverstone
    Howston G6 1965 @ Silverstone

EVE F3 @ Mores
    EVE F2 @ Loch Drummond

I've seen ISI servers hosting Spark F2 and F3 but no EVE so far? EVE is more fun IMHO.
    Uhm.. maybe this is wrong thread but anyway.

11. petersmith

petersmith Registered

This post is enough for me to buy a lifetime package. Thanks Tim! :)

P.S: The more trusted content we get, the happier we are.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya but in real life skippy races all cars are the same, same with old F2, same with gp3, gp2, fr3.5, fr2.0, star mazda, indy cars (up until last couple years with the new engines), old cart/champ cars, miata cup, jetta, lots of f2000 series all over the world (some have different chassis/engines), the formula palmer audi or whatever its called, old a1 gp, formula abarth, f3 (i think), and so on and so on.

Racing multi-chassis/engine series is awesome, all the differences and relative strength and weaknesses of the different cars, I agree, but in the end racing a car is racing a car push a f3.5, gp2, skippy, corvettw, etc etc as good as you can makes no difference if the others have the same car or different car, your job is still the same and I don't see how the other cars being different or the same to you makes much difference in the joy of you racing your car.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well if you've never molded a seat for yourself then you will move around in an f2000, or any car for that matter, what I am talking about though is purposely induced weight shifting, like a motor bike. I mean, other than leaning their head forward on the straight, or sticking their hand over the rad to richen the mixture io the straights, i've never heard of shifting your weight on a kart, never read about it, never heard commentators mention it, i'm not saying im correct though, just would like some further clarification on it that's all.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It's just a different type of experience. There's rivalry in the air on top of just the drivers competing. I loved the ALMS and GT1.

15. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'd like to modify my statement. I actually have great faith in, and appreciation for, track builders. There are many great track renditions out there, the vast majority of which are created by "non-company" builders. And if a track is close to realistic in layout I can happily drive it and enjoy the challenge. As improvements (graphical and/or layout) are made over time it is easy to delete the old and install the new.

So to my point about needing most of the tracks of "series" or era I would say this is secondary to having most or all of the cars. While having all the tracks of a given year would be appealing it is not necessary and in fact will grow old quickly. Using the GPL example again, it wasn't sustained on one set of tracks. It thrived on the variety of hundreds of 3rd party tracks (as all sims do) and then on car set mods of 1965, 1969, 1966, and others that followed.

But a key point in the evolution and sustainability of that sim was that the mod cars were released as a set/series. Not dribbled out randomly and uncoordinated by who knows who. People knew what was coming and waited eagerly, and when a new car SET was released there was an immediate charge by the community to run the series at what ever tracks a league deemed good for them. In contrast, it's ISI's apparent car plan I find discouraging; their way of dribbling out a few cars per year spread over multiple series/types.

So I guess my opinion can be summed up as: sporadic, unplanned, variously authored track releases is not a bad thing. Sporadic, multi-classed, unplanned, variously authored car releases IS a bad thing. While the latter seems to be ISI's business model, I personally think it is not a good one. I guess maybe that's the way rFactor1 was done (I wasn't part of that community) and they are happy with it.

The down side of my way forward is the risk that the "favored" series might not be my favorite. But even if my choice was a loser I still think the plan would be better for ISI.

BTW, having only 2 or 3 chassis paired to together with only 2 or 3 tracks on a public server is not going to draw a lot of sustained interest. Though more cars can't be added perhaps you should expand the track list to go beyond the list of classics. Many modern tracks are fun to drive with the old cars. Croft, Portugal, Malaysia, Mid Ohio come to mind. Actually, I've had fun with these cars at almost every track I've driven them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

They should always put the full list of tracks for whatever car/cars are available on that server, at least that way there is the OPTION to use those tracks. Why would they want to limit the track selection on their server, ridiculous.

17. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I think the intention was to focus the community on one combo per week so people can improve with practice over the week. Makes sense in theory but harder in practice due to loss of interest in repeating tracks and combos. It would be interesting to test one server with all ISI tracks and let folks on server vote.

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

As I think about it, this is no way to judge the popularity of any given carset/series. There can be so many reasons for empty servers that are unrelated to popularity of the series. I, for one, have almost no desire to be online at all unless it is with a league. How many others feel the same? Does the fact that a bunch of Clios for a while dominated most grid spots mean that that is the most beloved car? I think not. I presume it is because it is easy to drive and attracts noobs and those who want some quick and easy fun without spending a lot of time learning a difficult car. And any casual online racer will surely follow what ever crowd he or she sees forming. Why else go on line?

If you want to know what the community wants why not just ask?

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I am considering having the historic server cycle all three tracks, and just change the cars each week. Leaving it open to voting to change track.

Other servers, not totally sure what to do.

20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

That sounds good to me. But are you sure you want to use the historic tracks only?
    For example: EVE F2 at Silverstone or Loch Drummond could be great fun, and fairly popular I think? F3 at Mores could be perfect.

And in the future, I'd like to be able to see the track rotation in the server, and call vote for a specific track (I know we can use the /callvote command but I it's not very easy and I doubt many players are aware). Do you think we will see that at some point? :)