Possible 382 crash bug - modder input wanted!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Lazza, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi,

Was getting pretty consistent crashing in devmode in build 382 with a car, just spent a few hours trying to track down the cause and it appears to be FuelSpecial lines.

The rTrainer was rock solid throughout, not a single crash, but once I added a single FuelSpecial line after FuelRange it started crashing.

Anyway, so what we've just done as a test is change this line in the rTrainer:

FuelRange=(5.0, 1.0, 25)

to:

FuelRange=(5.0, 1.0, 25)
    FuelSpecial=(10,"5.5"," kg",)

Obviously the actual figure I've used there doesn't make much sense, but as far as I know it should be fine... same format as some Special lines used in ISI cars for wings and stuff...

With that line in there if I start switching through the HUD pages it'll usually crash the first time it tries to show the pit menu. Very occasionally it'll be fine, but if I leave the track (back to the main devmode menu) and then reload the track and try again, it'll usually crash the first time it tries to show the pitmenu.

Had two people testing this now and getting the same results, just ran 7-8 tests back to back (some with the line, some without) and it consistently crashes with the Special line and doesn't without it.

Note that just driving doesn't crash it. Although occasionally the game will crash as soon as clicking Race - probably when it's trying to show the pitmenu immediately. At this stage only devmode has been tested.

Limited testing in build 342 indicated no crashing in this same scenario.

If a few guys could test this out and report back we can hopefully confirm this as a bug or not.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just tested the single player side of build 382 with a mod using FuelSpecial lines (ran this mod for 6 months on previous builds, mind you) and it crashed when bringing up the pit menu just like devmode.

Has anyone tried a mod that replaces the default text for the fuel level? Like kg above? Any issues? Anyone? :rolleyes:

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

@Tim...please acknowledge that you've passed this on to relevant people :cool:

4. schuee

schuee Registered

5. schuee

schuee Registered

6. schuee

schuee Registered

Bump X 2

7. schuee

schuee Registered

Bump x 3

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's true, but it's half a modder issue and half a bug report if someone can confirm it - I thought either the modding forum or bug report forum would only do half the job and didn't want to post 2 threads :)

It's also been reported directly, which in the past has seemed the only sure way to get any feedback.

I'm sort of surprised no one has apparently either encounted this bug or knows a mod that uses FuelSpecial lines and is having no issues with it - though it probably helps that while you can show kg in the garage you still get L in the car, which can be confusing, so maybe most are just not bothering...

10. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

I probably caused this somehow ... so I'll be looking at it. Thanks for the report.