Released rFactor 2 Build 382 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Miro

Miro Registered

I am a bit confused with this build to be honest. Somehow I have much better FPS performance with the same settings I had before but just the particle settings turned off. I even can turn on the reflections and have over 60 FPS which was never possible before. Race starts with AI are also better the FPS drop isn't that huge anymore. On the other hand I read posts where users say the tripple performance is worse than it was which is not the case here. And one strange thing is just that the FPS performance online is much worse with same settings than offline. I tried several different settings and the results just confuse me.
    Am I the only one with such an experience? I have an AMD card and really think I got an big FPS boost overall but just not online.
    Anybody out there with similar experience?

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think performance has changed due to my screenshots below:

3. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

AH HA!!! I thought this was the case. In fact does rFactor 1 do this also? Also I know a dedicated server keeps a result file but does it actually keep a replay file even though nobody is racing first person on the server? This question is for rf1 and 2.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yes rF1 does this too. rF2 actually prioritizes the car being viewed by the camera and not just the player car. So when doing a broadcast the cars will not be all crazy warpy like they were in rF1 broadcasts.

The server records a replay in rF1 and rF2 unless it is disabled by the admin. The server replay has full fidelity for all cars though.

5. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I did not know this and which I did months ago!!!!! Thanks for the info Noel. Thanks a ton! Now to go to the lab .... after Christmas doings of course.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thx, i'll double check everything the next, for now i have a break :)

7. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

How to return smoke in mirrors? What needs to change in player.plr?

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I know, but the behaviour that can be seen in my video has not been there before build 382. Sure, cars further away has lower fidelity but they can't jump around like that. It looks like tire pressure are going nuts.
    I made a video review of our previous race at Nordschleife (b342) and I couldn't see this, even if it's much bigger track compared to Snetterton.

But perhaps this could be limited to Snetterton. I have watched 2 more online replays from public servers and my opponents cars did not behave like that... But not as many participants though.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with physics but related to the new online prediction algorithm (which attempts to keep the car in the correct place between the updates received from the client). I'm pretty sure this algorithm is yet somewhat work in progress. When the prediction is slightly too aggressive or optimistic, the result would be shaking due to quick position corrections, as seen in the video.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yep. It is still a wip and considering how new it is it is very impressive.

11. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

My smoke looks the same as it always did when they first introduced the new particle system. I don't see what your screenshot shows when I play... weird.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Anyone else have the wonky reflections back on the Eve F3? This was a problem since the last update of the Historics cars (April!!!), but seemed to be fixed in the previous 342 build? Now it's back--where the inside of the wind screen reflects the road below the car instead of the interior of the cockpit :(

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There have been a few screens floating around showing some changes to smoke since 342, but for me the massive improvement in performance with smoke would seem to pretty much guarantee there has to have been a 'deterioration' of some sort. I hope the base (mandatory) level smoke stays as it is now, and people can choose to improve it (back to what it was, and to any further improvements) if they want.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It's just me then???

(Do a donut skid then observe smoke/light cast through trees etc)

Prior to build 382
    [​IMG]

Build 382
    [​IMG]

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

what's your (new) Soft Particles setting on? maybe it has something to do with that.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya marcG

This is (the screenshot build 382) with soft partials & special effects & shadows set to highest possible

17. stonec

stonec Registered

The smoke looks distinctively worse in build 382 than in build 342, I'm also surprised not more people have commented on it. I guess this is some sort of compromise for the sake of FPS, but to me it looks almost like the old 2d smoke now, I can't spot any difference between the soft particle settings.

View attachment 11241 View attachment 11242

18. Bee

Bee Former ISI Staff

If you experience crashing after updating rf2 (or if you get run time error - especially after Windows updates), please follow these instructions below thoroughly to create a clean install. This will resolve any corrupt file/license issues.

To create a clean install of rfactor2:
    - Uninstall rfactor2 using the uninstall feature.

- Delete the entire rfactor2 installation folder, and any rfactor2 related folder in your My Documents folder (to remove any user data files).

- Next, delete the local license file: Navigate to your “C:\Users\<Your Windows Username here>\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor” folder and delete the files within (you can type this in your Windows Explorer address bar or navigate to it by first disabling “Hide system files and folders” in your folder settings (see windows documentation for more info)).

- Make sure you have downloaded the most recent build of rfactor2 from the appropriate downloads page of rfactor.net and install it into a new clean folder. For rfactor2, using the Content Installer download is best because you can then test the game with minimal content.

- Since you’ve deleted the license file in a previous step, you’ll need to reactivate your game. For rfactor2, run the launcher, select the Purchase tab, then select Reactivate.

- Run rfactor2 with the minimum content and with NO 3rd party community created mods/addons/plugins (content you’ve downloaded elsewhere) and troubleshoot any issues with limited content.

Once you confirm the game is working fine, you can download additional content from the rf2 downloads page at rfactor.net

19. qusimano

qusimano Registered

Still no shadows under the car????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    it's just RIDICOLOUS
    i do not waste words on this anymore

20. TJones

TJones Registered

There are shadows, visibility depends on viewing distance and maybe FPS. There is a dynamic shadow which gets invisible at around 600-700m, and a static one (?) right under the car. Latter gets off at very close distance, around 100m i guess.
    Depends on CPU/GPU power.

Graphics settings?