Problem with loading skin

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Edmund Roland, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

I have a problem with applying a .dds file to a car

I have followed the advice of guides and videos and have created a directory for the car through the tuning button, then put the .dds file in that directory.

In the tuning viewer after this, rf2 recognises the new file, but doesn't implement it. The skin doesn't change from the original.

I tried going on the track but that didn't fix it.

Am I missing something? I have googled this problem but I've found no solution.

2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

the same here since yesterday after a new install

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Same here. also for skins added to default cars, cant see them. I do auto-download them, they are in the directory, other drivers can see them, but not for me.
    I'm waiting for a new build to return to this issue, in previous build (not sure which ones) I did see custom skins.

One of the tips I got which didn't work for me but maybe for you Edmund. rename the skin and reload by selecting a different car and back or restart rf2. the reload button doesn't always work. or at all.

4. Andregee

Andregee Registered

i can load and see the skins in another partition installation with the same build.

5. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

I seem to have the same problem as you. I can't see anyone else's custom skins either. And people I'm talking to can only see their own custom skins. There seems to be a problem with the 'download custom skins' button in the settings menu

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Does the server you're joining have it enabled?

7. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

I think it does, but you can see the problem in the single player tuning menu for the car. I change to the new skin file at the bottom right, and nothing about the car changes.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I've tested it with a mate. his custom skin transferred perfectly, could open it in photoshop from settings/car and tell him how it looked, others could also see it in game but not me.

Same result when adjusting and renaming a skin myself, changes save in the file but never show. reload button, changing car and back, restarting rf, don't matter.

9. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

I've just reinstalled of RF2 with the new build. The problem has not changed. It's very frustrating. I have no idea what the solution might be

10. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

I have solved the issue after taking advice from another forum. The problem was fixed by reinstalling rf2 and selecting one directory for everything, rather than some things being stored in 'My Documents'. No more skin issues whatsoever.

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ah cool, i will try that as well as soon as i'm ready to re-install (got to finish our league series first) , thx Edmund :)