Video Recording Queries

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Edmund Roland, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

Firstly, I don't seem to be able to go to the spectator camera, END button allows the mouse to change the camera angle but I'm looking for trackside cameras.

Secondly, how does one remove the replay HUD when recording?

Finally, which programs, preferably free, should one use to record video from a .vcr file?

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It is possible that your track doesn't have a cam file. Try an ISI track just to be sure. I ran into this problem a few weeks ago with COTA (if I recall).

To hide the hud just hit <Enter>.

For recording I use Open Broadcast Software (OBS). But I never doing any editing. I simply export raw footage and upload it to YouTube. OBS will capture directly to H264/AAC. So it is a simple one step process. OBS is free and has a big following and is updated very frequently. It also supports Intel QuickSync Video for hardware encoding.

3. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

Yes, It was COTA on Guy's server. Thanks. Talking of which, I haven't seen you in any races on that server recently. Are you coming to the next one?

4. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

1- Use PgDown to go on track side cameras
    2- Press Enter
    3- I use Fraps to capture, Sony Vegas to edit. If you dont have a top pc and want a fluid vĂ­deo in rf2 you can capture in slowmotion and then edit it to run quicker (like 4x). That way it will be much more fluid, less breaks, etc.

5. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

I tried fraps and it only lets me record 30 seconds. I am trying OBS, but I am having problems getting it to recognise RF2. Do I need to identify a streaming service? What exactly should I do after downloading OBS to get it to record what is on my screen?

6. Disasstor

Disasstor Registered

7. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

Disasstor, your link was condescending and didn't actually help me. I can't actually get the thing to recognize RF2, which is why I asked here.

It is saying: "Could not access the specified channel or stream key. This could be because the key/channel is invalid, or because the server still thinks you are logged in. RTMPSockbuf_Fill remote host closed connection."

I don't understand what any of that means.

8. Disasstor

Disasstor Registered

facepalm...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyDbzYIab2w

9. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

Right, well his starting screen is different to mine. There is clearly something I don't understand which is too simple to remedy via the links you have posted. So, feel good about being condescending and post somewhere else, so someone more understanding and patient can help me.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't think he was trying to be condescending. There is a thread on the OBS forum that has a really good tutorial on "local recording" which is what you are trying to do. He was trying to direct you to that thread I think.

Here is how to get it working with rF2. First change rF2 to run in a window (just for the setup phase). Now while rF2 and OBS are running. Right click in the "Sources" window and select Game Capture. It then prompts you for a name for your source. Type anything you want there. Then it will come up with a list of running applications. Just select rF from that list.

Now go into the settings on OBS and click Broadcast Settings on the left and then on the mode drop down list select File Output Only. Then give it a filename. It will not overwrite this file. Every time you start capturing it creates a new file and appends a number to the filename. Also be sure to assign a hotkey so that you can trigger the capture while running rF Fullscreen.

Now that you are done setting up OBS you can set rF back to running Fullscreen.

There are lots of other settings you will want to play with. Such as the resolutions. But these directions should at least point you in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think he knew that. The problem is the track he is using is incomplete so it doesn't have any .cam files so when you hit PgDn it does nothing. I had this problem a few weeks ago on a fresh install and it had me pulling hair out for about 30mins before I realized it was the track and not my new install.

It would be nice if it put a message in the chat box when you hit PgDn on a track that doesn't have any track side cameras defined. Simply ignoring the key press is very confusing.

13. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

Thank you, Noel. That thread is great, but I didn't know about adding something to that source box, which appears to be elementary to this program. I've got it to work after following your instructions.

14. Edmund Roland

Edmund Roland Registered

one last thing, how do you make the frame size bigger? I have the resolution at 1920x1200