AMD Crossfire-Eyefinity Frame Pacing Driver Info Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7578/an-update-on-amds-crossfire-eyefinity-frame-pacing-driver

Not sure how much this will affect 290/290x cards as I heard they work pretty well now, but a lot of people with 7000 series and 200 series cards are really waiting for this.

Hopefully AMD come through, for January, this time.

On a seperate note, check this huge test at 4k single res single monitor. It's AMD 290x vs AMD 290 vs Nvidia 780 Ti vs Nvidia 780 - single gpu vs dual vs triple vs quad.

Total frame scores for quad 1. 290x wins - 2. 290 - 3. 780 Ti - 4. 780

Same result for triple cards 1. 290x wins - 2. 290 - 3. 780 Ti - 4. 780

Dual card results 1. 290x wins - 2. 780 Ti - 3. 290 - 4. 780

Superb multi gpu scaling from AMD as even the regular 290 beat the 780 titanium at 3 and 4 gpus, and the 290x still was ahead of the 780 titanium even in dual GPU setups.

Tons of results and individual game scores at http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=384741

No frame timing tests though, but the R9 290X and 290 are supposed to be much improved in that area, APPARENTLY (not really sure)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Miro

Miro Registered

Nor sure why you are posting this here in that way.

AMD is NOT even nearly as good as Nvidia with rF2. You can go 3 or 4 gens back with Nvidia to match the current AMD cards.
    Stuff on other games is pointless and absolutely misleading here in this forum.
    Hell when a 4xx series is better than the AMD 7970 they wont get any support from me ever again, simple as that. Thrown away 400 bucks.

This says it all!

http://xtremerpm.org/images/benchmark_15-11-2013_Build342.jpg

EDIT:

The rant and disappointment mainly because they don't even care about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It was just news for the eyefinity-frame pacing driver which applies to RF2 regardless if the performamce is bad or not. The 2nd link was just some interesting info I happened to see and decided to share :).

I agree with you, im pissed that AMD for some weird reason has horrible performance with RF2. Did/do the equivalent nvidia 500 and 600 series models way outperform AMD 6000 and 7000 series cards in RF1 based stuff like they do in RF2? Or is it just specifically an RF2 thing? We should test with Game Stock Car 2013 to see if it's only RF2.

I'm an AMD guy and this is what is stopping me from upgrading, the horrible AMD - RFactor 2 performance. It's not just slightly lower frames than nvidia, it's huge, clearly something is "broken". Anyways I feel like a broken record with all the AMD - RFactor 2 complaints we're all already aware of, so i'll stop now.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

My purchasing choices, does not depend on ONE SINGLE GAME. I liked the post, it's informative for people who play other games, like me.

I will suffer the loss of FPS in rF2, if I can gain them in 5 other games.

They also got my results wrong! It isn't "2xAA Radeon Pro tune up". It's 4xAA

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I play many games but rf2 takes up the majority of that time. It would make more sense to buy hardware that is suited to the majority of what you play.

If i didn't play rf2 that much i would have remained on my sli gtx 460's (at least for 9-12 months longer).

6. I am AMD all round.....

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.71Ghz
    Asus Formula V MB
    Asus HD6990

rf1 and rf2 runs sweet as a nut with everything maxed with x16 Anisotropic and all my graphics programs run sweet too, I cant complain.
    I run crossfire with eyefinity on three 21.5 inch monitors, granted the monitors are cheep and are only 60hz but I don't notice a problem with dropped frame rates.

But I have to say RF1 and RF2 are the only driving sim I have installed, I find that when you install the other games/arcade sims, I do loose performance with RF.

7. Domi

Domi Registered

It's so broken that it's hard to believe that it's just an AMD problem; there must be something else wrong in the engine code for sure. Teams like Kunos are also small, and the performance there is much better, and I surely they had the same "support" from AMD as ISI, in other words nothing.

8. Miro

Miro Registered

I BELIEVE teleporting is possible for SURE;).

However AC runs not better here at all, even worse at times. If I want to run it smooth the only way is to run all the GFX as low as possible and then it runs really smooth and with loads of FPS but as soon I try to turn something on I got loads of problems.
    Engine/throttle stuttering, the picture stutters and the wrost part the game freezes way to often on my system so the myth from the Kunos magicians doesn't cut it here mate. They have their own problems. A better example in this case would be iRacing but than again it's so different that it is hardly comparable. Don't know about the pCars performance.

NVIDIA is the only way to go with racing games as the AMD guys just DON'T care at all. As long it stays that way I wont loose a good word on them. I am seriously pissed there cuz it's not just 40 or 80 bucks like a game but it's much more and after all you can't just switch hardware all two weeks, at least I can't. And the thing is I only play racing games so I just don'T care about the performance in other games.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  9. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

It isn't just rF2 that's bad with AMD. pCars also performs better on NVIDIA

10. Panigale

Panigale Banned

In researching AMD vs NVidia for a new build there seems to be little going for AMD other than slightly better prices. Their 290X card runs lava hot and wasn't as good as the initial samples reviewed.
    That said the one thing that makes me want to go for a couple of 290s is the eyefinity support. My understanding is only AMD using eyefinity can handle five 1080p monitors (portrait mode). Has anyone here tried such a setup with rF2? Does rF2 even support 5400x1920?

11. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

Oh wow i just looked and you seem to be right, nvidia surround doesn't seem to support more than 3 monitors as a "single surface". As far as i can see anyway.
    It's running here with 4 screens, but one is an "accessory" monitor.
    It won't even work with the latest drivers though! Crashes when you try and enable surround.

The annoyance with ati is that there doesn't seem to be a way to numerically specify the amount of bezel compensation. This means if you need to do a clean install it can be really awkward to setup the bezel compensation again. It would be much better if you could write down the values and enter them in manually but i couldn't ever find a way to do this :(

Mind you, if a game / application does triple screen support properly (like AC or iracing) then this doesn't matter - you wouldn't run bezel compensation resolutions anyway. Rfactor 2 doesn't yet have the required options to do triple screen properly though, but hopefully it will someday.