any official final release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Guys....guys......Rfactor 2 (even at this stage) is the top of simulation at present days. Not single one reach half of what rf2 delivers. FACT.

Point me 1 sim where you get more realist features than RF2 and ill give you my license.....NOT.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Bit of a tangent, but while I was at school there was one game release (platform on Amiga, can't remember name) that had a bug where you couldn't actually finish it. We kept trying. One friend said he finished it, lying of course, as we found out later... lol

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Captive? I remember that had computer generated levels so essentially became a never-ending game but that had some critical bugs that somehow people got around...man that game is a classic!

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

yes Tim I know I was there from the 1st day of the multiplayer demo...but surely things like collisions should be up to the same level as rFactor 1 by now...you use the same files/models in mods for collisions as rF1 so not much has changed in that area yet the difference is night and day between the titles

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  5. 88mphTim

Probably should, yes. I personally don't know where it's at as I haven't probably raced internationally enough.

6. 88mphTim

That sounds familiar... Not sure! Procedural generation was the only way to fit something on a 3.5" floppy... lol

7. coops

coops Banned

I love rf2 but I will never buy another game in early development or beta. rf2 has turned me off this and wont support another game that does this. EG: assetto corsa
    imho without a release date its not worth wasting my $$$ on something that might not ever get finished. as there is no guarantee it ever will.
    the only bad thing about rf2 is its behind rf1 in some things and that is not the way to go to have ppl buy it and support it. the proof is there that's why so many still play rf1. (when and if rf3 is released at a stage equal or better than rf2 i will spend my hard earned $$ on it.)

8. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The problem I have with rF2 in this regard is not necessarily that it isn't okay or broken (If every car ends up as good as the Howston we are in business) - but the fact the quality has almost laughably huge differences and it's a mess and a half. Things have changed so much "under the hood" - but at the same time the "driveline" hasn't. Such as chassis flex - nice improvement - buuuuut........ still waiting for it to actually be implemented on more than one car officially AFAIK.

Tracks wise HDR changed, quality of ISI content went way up - yet still any track that isn't Mores / Silverstone / Loch Drummond is very obviously from 2008 or so. The bad far outweighs the good because the bad is well - from 2008. Let alone picking the Corvette at LRP for the demo - might as well just put your average face on and say here you go, we really don't care if you like it all that much, it's not particularly good, it's not even up to date content.

ISI servers up and running, but still not actually improving online play with the unintuitive nature they have. (races need to be scheduled top and/or bottom of the hour - really badly.)

Can't wait for updates to the GM content, but at the same time could easily wait for the updating hassle and confusion with version numbers. We can auto update the sim, but only the core and only if you look. Can't do it automatically and we can't do that for content. Not to mention the version number system makes about as much sense as a unicorn farting rainbows. Changing the version number to reflect the build number the content was released / updated for would be a whole lot less confusing than some 1.0, some 1.46, some 1.43, 1.01. Yes that was random to bring up, but really it does make things feel unfinished.

It's the two steps forward but really only one of those steps went somewhere - not because they took a step back, but because they forgot to lift their foot for the second one.

I don't particularly care for throwing things in without backing them up with the rest of the package, but that is what they do. rF2 to me is still an enigma, at times it's so fking good, then twenty seconds later it's shoving "yea, we really haven't improved since rFactor.... really" into your face. Wish it was either entirely crap or entirely amazing, now it's just annoying to keep up with because it's good enough to commit to, but not quite good enough to commit to.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

TO:
    Santa Claus
    North Pole

Dear Santa,

I would like a helicopter for rF2 please Santa.

DD

P.S. Santa

............ and a GTX780 .......and triple sceens ..........and CSPv2 .................and ...................

p

10. rhamm

rhamm Registered

The NTSC version of Impossible Mission for the Atari 7800 was actually impossible because one of the puzzle pieces needed was hidden behind something. They fixed it before releasing the PAL version.

11. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

ps:

12. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

its nothing to do with international servers Tim ...our server is local and so are all our racers...collisions were fine in rF1 for the most part...and super dodgy for the most part in rF2

we are coming up to 2 years now...the time for excuses (not directing at you personally) for the basics that used to work in rF1 but not rF2 are over im afraid

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Off topic sorry but just had a thought not worth a thread.

When ISI finish Belgium Historic if not already, sooner or later modders will want to do updates.

What would be procedure for official content in the way of packages and naming.

Sorry if I can't see the obvious answer.

Tim not trolling either lol

14. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

A bit of a tangent but you guys might do with some reading up on lean startups. ISI's tactic here with RF2 very much mirrors the modern entrepreneurial paradigm. The notion of the public beta is to target the early adopters, who are more excited about the product and will tend to let things slide, ie. rather unfinished features.

15. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

The only reason I didn't want to have a refund was because of the merits of rFactor 1 and because I believe ISI will get its act together and deliver a product... someday.

And if you say so that rFactor 2 is really 1.5 I heartily disagree. GSC 2013 is rFactor 1.5, rFactor is still just a Beta. The features are there but everything is uneven, nearly every feature needs refinement in some regards some features of the newer builds are a step beack to earlier builds and so on. AFAIK it is 4 years in development up until now and it seems in needs another 2 or 3.

The potential is there, but at the current speed it will take a long time until it is finished. It will be interesting to see where the Modders will be then and how rFactor compares to its competitors.

16. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Yes I hope so too...someday. But tbh to me it sounds like maybe a couple of years more before it happens. RF1 took 3 years and RF2 is much more complex and "only" 2 years down the road.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

I remember racing rFactor in a league in autumn 2006 and it felt pretty finished by then, perfectly usable for league racing, no major bugs and features missing at that point. There was one further update in January 2007 that added a couple of new things, but mostly bug fixes. After that there was only one further update in 2007 which was minimal. So by January 2007 rFactor was basically feature-ready, meaning 2 years and 2 months of development since release and some 3 years since start of development (assuming that development began somewhere in 2003). Compare this to rFactor2, we now have already 2 years since release and 6 years since start of development (assuming 2008).

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

After reading these posts with dates etc,
    Gosh yes things are dragging on, fingers crossed the next update will be a good one,
    ( not really interested in new content but more that present content is finalised where possible )

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

stonec, no, development didn't start in 2003. rF1 was an evolution just as rF2 is. gMotor started development way before the name rFactor surfaced.

20. ViSo

ViSo Registered

F1Challenge?