any official final release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, Dec 11, 2013.

1. williang83

williang83 Registered

Guys i was wondering if there is any official final release date for rF2 ? A date where the game exit from this too long beta to a final product (real final product and not an EA standards).
    Please don't say that rf2 is already at the final release and it is envolving because at current state it would be an insult to call this final product that will get better. I'm not complaining i just want to know if i missed any post or news about this.
    It is a bit frustrating if you analyse the current status of driving simulators (not even racing simulator because things get worse), we have 5 new games (picking just some of them) gsc 2013, iracing, rfactor 2, pcars and ac but just the first two can be seen as complete product, others are in development (some from few weeks went to open to public, other from at least a year). So we have so many games but most are boring due to the limited amount of overall features (cars, tracks, class, championship, AI, etc..).
    I was considering to buy GSC 2013 but i saw that servers are not populated enough and those room with ppl playing mostly are locked with passwords. Iracing i still own a year of membership but there are things in that game that don't convice me.
    I guess that in the past we never had so many DRIVING SIMULATOR (some very basic RACING SIMULATOR, others not even that) but mostly not available.

Just to clarify the difference between driving and racing simulator (IMO) :
    - Driving simulator, is more about the sensation of the car thus its physics, feeling the car corner after corner and feel how it changes. Feeling how the style will influence the car handling during the race.
    - Racing simulator, is more about connection between sessions or even more between race weekends, connection between cars so instead of random cars with just different layout we have cars of the same class but different from each other, each with its own pros and cons, some really powerful others weaker. The race weekend starts from day one (practice) and ends with the race itself, knowing that anything you do will influence the rest of the weekend (engine wear, tire stints, pressure, etc...) and if you complete this with a properly done weather engine that works (made of temperature, humidity and rain) you might create situation where each race at the same track might be complete different so you cannot simply setup the car in a private session and use the setup in that race (at least in theory).

In conclusion, for me both are important. There is no one more important than the other.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  2. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Aren't it in released status? I thought some time ago the BETA was scrapped and now it's just continuous (slow) development.

3. williang83

williang83 Registered

As a programmer for me this is still a huge beta. Even EA sells their games as final product but they aren't.

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I really don't get why the majority of people don't get the evolving product thingie. A final or gold release is something mostly dictated by pusblishers, investors, important ip's, building a final version of the master version for
    cd and dvd pressing purposes. In the digital (sim) age we're no longer bound to especially the latter and luckily rF2 isn't going to be released on some fancy schmancy consoles.

There is no need for a final version when it can be improved upon constantly without much constraint so why keep insisting on it?

5. williang83

williang83 Registered

Final Release has nothing to do with CD or DVD. Software development are divided in three phases ALPHA->BETA->Final Release (honesly there are more but this is the simplified picture). In my old days at the university i never seen the professor or the book saying "well guys final release is when it is ready to be burned on the CD". Now that i work for a big company i can tell you that not even professionals say that.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Not all software development is outlined like that and I don't think it's bad for rF2 to choose the way they want to develop their product in this way...

My comment was aimed at 'gold release' which I see mentioned from time to time :)

Your bigger company doesn't stand for all companies ;)

7. williang83

williang83 Registered

Btw i'll repeat, i'm not complaining about the game itself, just asking if there is a defined date. That said thougths like yours is ruining the quality of the software, because these days people accept unfinished products (not even bugged) just to have their desired game as soon as possible. So companies like EA (not talking about ISI) love these new customers because they sell the game sooner, earn a lot even if the game is unfinished and release fix in the future (sometimes not even that).

8. williang83

williang83 Registered

Yeah right, some companies just lowered the standard of the software quality and customers are fine with that even with poor result. AGAIN that was not the point of my post.

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

all I know is ...im "evolving" into an old man waiting for this game to "evolve" to be as good as rFactor 1 in many areas :confused:

10. williang83

williang83 Registered

Our target shouldn't be rFactor 1, but even further. When i bought rFactor membership lifetime, i was waiting for something very different from all point of view, better driving simulator (which is already but i hope that it improves a little bit more) and finally a racing simulator (rFactor was not). However all that i see is a copy and paste from rFactor 1 and that's not good. As a result we have the same or simular AI issues (for example), a new path would have lead to a better or worst result but at least a different one.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Agree. This mentality ruins everything, the yes sayer are welcome all over the place, the goverment love this sort people.

12. thuGG

thuGG Registered

As a programmer, I know what you mean ;)

TBH I don't mind the continuous development thing, as long as there is some "base" version with "base" set of features that are working properly. That's not the case with rF2 (even after 2 years of development, it's a joke really).

13. williang83

williang83 Registered

For me is not a problem either as long as we have a base which is a real new path under all point of view. Not a copy of a previous version with just some new stuff (physics, tire engine and weather...ok important one but there are a lot of others stuff too), it is more rFactor 1.5 (without a lot of stuff from the 1 and "better" net code) instead of rFactor 2.

UPDATE

BTW, as you wrote instead of having multiple features partially implemented, it would be better to include features slower but fully implemented. I can understand that a new build might lead to a small bug in a old finished feature but that's fine instead of having a game with a lot of partial features.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They really, really aren't these days. They really aren't.

Sent using Tapatalk - excuse the short post, etc

15. 88mphTim

Can only suggest researching rfactor 1s first three years, which were ongoing development from a more simplistic base.

16. 88mphTim

Unable to answer you due to the limitation placed on what answers you want to hear.

17. williang83

williang83 Registered

Simple when we are going to have a final product made of fully implemented features at least base features? Just for example, we don't have a fully implemented tire engine (still not complete contact patch), weather engine (with random behave), we have no RACING ENVIRONMENT but just a pure a simple driving simulator with the possibility to add an AI or a player, we have no proper damage engine, no proper collision detection, and so on.... i feel that we just have a bunch of partial features. I intentionally skipped the UI part because it would be to easy to criticize.
    In conclusion, there is nothing that make me say "well they completed this feature, a new build might lead to a bug but the feature is complete". C'mon ISI, you are still the horse that i'm betting but after two years of patience things are getting way too long.

18. 88mphTim

Without the limitation of answer placed in the first post, the answer is there isn't one. It is an ongoing development. It took rf1 3 years in my opinion.

19. jakobdylan

jakobdylan Registered

I think We will have an official final release in about 4 or 5 years if ISI will walk this way again ........

20. williang83

williang83 Registered

Forget the first post i'm providing you a direct question....i'll copy again

Simple when we are going to have a final product made of fully implemented features at least base features? Just for example, we don't have a fully implemented tire engine (still not complete contact patch), weather engine (with random behave), we have no RACING ENVIRONMENT but just a pure a simple driving simulator with the possibility to add an AI or a player, we have no proper damage engine, no proper collision detection, and so on.... i feel that we just have a bunch of partial features. I intentionally skipped the UI part because it would be to easy to criticize.
    In conclusion, there is nothing that make me say "well they completed this feature, a new build might lead to a bug but the feature is complete". C'mon ISI, you are still the horse that i'm betting but after two years of patience things are getting way too long.