De-Icing rFactor 2 Handling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by insatiant, Dec 7, 2013.

1. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Trying the settings posted in this thread with FFB and camber etc and things improved , I drive open wheelers most of the time and they seem to want to 180-360 on you very easy even at low speeds , its like once the rear starts to slide it feels like it is trying to come around on you and you cant save anything past a few degrees of slide , I cant power out of it or brake out of it or ride out of it , this is when it feels like its ice , Ive never driven one for real but just cant imagine a Formula car spinning this freely at 40k , I,ll keep playing around with settings .

2. insatiant

insatiant Registered

Here's another example of non-first-time user friendly settings.

Nissan GTR - the car a lot of new racers are going to try first, given both its actual coolness and its prestige in other racing games:

Front Air Dam: 3
    Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 71 lbs/in

ROFL :D This car should have emblems like "I spin freely!" and "Go away!". Some drivable settings (I'm not claiming optimal) are:

Front Air Dam: 1
    Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 243 lbs/in

I love tuning, but it should be to get the last 10% - not to make the handling simply acceptable. I'm not trying to disrespect rFactor 2 here, honestly. I think it's honestly clear the developers are some of the best. I'm just an advocate for good basic settings so we can build the largest possible community of motorsport enthusiasts (and therefore, more mods).

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I find it extremely easy to drive after a few laps. Much easier than the Corvette.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

GTR tricky? It is one of the most straightforward cars out there. :) Perhaps it is due it's neutral handling. You simply don't make this car easier to drive, no need to, you focus on raw performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

The 370 is one of rf2's better sim cars, however, the Vette and the GTR suck hard, as do most of the modern open wheelers.
    No complaints regarding the 60F2/F3/Megane etc, but something's fundamentally wrong with some cars for me.

IMO, GSC 2013 has the best combo of driving model+tyre model and FFB ever, however, there's a hilarious discrepancy between iracing/rf2/AC and GSC......they all feel and drive differently, so on the assumption one of them is right/close enough, the other 3 suck to some degree.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The real ones do spin that easily, especially with cold tires or a sudden change in grip. I spun a (real life) Skippy by cornering through a little puddle and giving it some gas. I surmised I could have a bit of fun by getting the back end to kick-out a bit since I was only doing about 25 km/h coming out of a hairpin. An embarrassing 180 is what resulted. All the weight is on the rear, so it has a huge pendulum effect. The trick is once you are skilled enough to manage it, you can use that pendulum effect to advantage and power through corners the way you never could with a front engine vehicle. But in many ways you have to think backwards to a "normal" car.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

I agree, it's really backward to our assumptions. Especially for people that never had lessons about fast driving , on a real racecar, like most of us. But I promise you, that when you finally understand how wrong you were driving until that moment, it's almost embarassing. But when you understand how you should approach those cars, then, all the pieces make sense, the FFB make sense,the car is predictable, and setup changes make you faster, because for the first time, you would know what are you doing, and why, and how it will make you faster.
    After spending the first month with RF2 only on the skip barber regionals, now I'm having great fun with the marussia, even on a green track, where handling is .. soapy at best, it's funny, the grip is in the setup (on a green track) but you can make the marussia dance around turns, and always be in control. I've never tried the modern cars (clio,vette etc. etc.) but I think I will give it a try, even if I don't usually like those kind of cars.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

SORRY! YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER FANBOY!

Your real world example doesn't mean anything to us!!!

This is SIM-racing, maybe you spun a REAL-LIFE racing car at 15 mph/25 kph, but none of us care! We all know that if that ever happened in a sim, then it would mean the sim's physics sucked and was following the old & outdated "hard = realistic" philosophy. "Hard = realistic" is only for the real-life physics engine, it's not for the modern wave of "next-gen" sims.

GET WITH THE TIMES, MAN! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  10. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Yeah for sure I blame my driving as most of the problem for spinning out in the first place , the only thing is it doesnt happen to me in GSC with the open wheelers I can handle those cars much better in that game , when they spin it has a feeling of drag and wanting to bite in as opposed to RF2 feeling of no drag and feeling of being on a smooth surface like ice or water not dry bitumen , Im also losing throttle in a major slide like the car wont rev even in 2nd gear I dont know if thats normal or my peddles set up or what , I have a Fanatec wheel and peddles the early one the Porsche wheel .
    Im not saying the formula cars cant be driven fast in RF2 as many guys are doing just that like they are on rails , Im talking about making the mistakes creating the slide beyond a certain angle say at a guess about 30% and no feeling in bringing the car back , no feeling of weight in the slide , no bite as the tyres slide around , I know Im a hack driver and can only compare how one game feels in handling to the next because Im just the same hack in GSC as I am in RF2 .

11. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I think I know what you mean. Driving a 911 in anger is similar, all the weight at the rear.
    A slight bit of opposite lock and throttle steer and you feel like a god. But NEVER EVER get off the throttle mid corner.

With respect to other posters opinions I do care what real cars do as this is a sim (simulate) and I want it real.

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I think hacks should express themselves too. It's common to think that the cars should be easy to be consistent with because we see the pro driver be consistent, someone with years of experience and a good knowledge of the car, but hacks like us need to realize that part of the fun is getting to a point where we think like a pro, believing and trusting that the track, tires and brakes are not optimum for the first few laps, that abrupt inputs will upset any car and that staying on the edge for too long sees you make a fatal mistake.

Simulation-oriented racing games don't exist to make hacks feel badass so that they learn to slide powerful cars in 10 minutes worth of practice (*cough* Assetto *cough* Corsa). I had to, I had to. :$
    I respect rF2 more because it doesn't make me feel like a badass, and it helps me trust that the research is there and they are not trying to manipulate me in a gaming situation. Learn properly or **** off. That's the message I actually want.

This helped me a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What I do not get about these threads unless you all drive default setup and same wheel settings, even over-steer and under-steer becomes debatable.

Take a real 60s sedan , add a thicker front bar and a small diameter steering wheel........it changes the the drive dramatically.

As does 270 or 900 lock, sensitivity , Force level to a sim.

Then you throw your own setups in the work.

As I said before it is akin to giving 20 reviewers a new car to test but making no 2 cars the same............you pollute the results.

Unless they saying no matter what PC, what wheel, settings and setup you feel the same thing.
    That is absurd.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I rarely touch anything anymore. I just learn the car and if there's something I feel can make the car faster/more dangerous, I'll experiment a little. If you make the setup for the cold laps, you're just cheating yourself out of a learning experience.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, that's the number one Skippy mistake--when it starts to lose grip in a corner, the natural instinct is to let off the gas. You must make sure that you don't enter the corner too quickly so that you can maintain throttle or even increase it as you going through the corner. It's 5 times more pronounced in a Skippy than a 911. And it's tough for us sitting in a chair in front of a screen to gauge the right entry speed. Usually we are entering too quickly and in the Skippy it's basically too late at that point to fix it. You're going to lose the car, so abandon the turn (meaning brake longer in a straight line and then turn when you are going slow enough to not dump the car in the dirt). You won't win races that way, but you will stay on the track. You will eventually get the braking point correctly. And then you will eventually understand where the "slow-in, fast-out" mantra of racers comes from. Once you can throttle steer a Skippy through a corner, you should be able to handle just about any other (race) car. That's what the Skippy was built for--instruction. It's not a fun car to drive while you're learning and isn't even that fun after you know how.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup, ive had myself, and seen a ton of others, have huge moments on turn-in and some mid corner with real skippys. So many huge overtseer/spin moments.

People just don't want to believe this stuff because you have much more sense of feel of these limits in real-life, and you stay away from touching these limits in real-life, let alone going over them. Then you combine that with all the onboard videos people see of these people either not touching the car's limits, or touching them but staying in control making everything look simple, and that is why most people scream "fake", "icy", "harder does not equal realistic", "you don't have to be a driving God to be fast", etc. etc. because most people are severely under the wrong inpression of vehicle dynamics, and honestly just have no idea what's going on when driving one of these things at speed.

It's sad, and sort of screwing up the entire simracing industry in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  17. insatiant

insatiant Registered

To me, the mechanical grip at low speed is extremely loose in the rear which the change to the rear anti-roll bar corrected, then the aero grip is extremely sensitive in the front (same effect) which the change to the front air dam corrected. In comparison to other cars in the sim, this doesn't feel like neutral handling.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  18. insatiant

insatiant Registered

The SB2000 may be my favorite car in the game. I love how the steering is so throttle dominated. It reminds me of learning to drive the small oval in autocross school without steering wheel input. I haven't touched the default setup on this one.

19. insatiant

insatiant Registered

I would hate to see rFactor 2's physics engine go the way of SHIFT or, worse yet, GRID; although I'm not worried it will. The "hard = realistic" handling of something like the SB2000 in game is a joy, default setup. Some of the car setups in rFactor 2 are hard and unrealistic, IMO, even with an understanding of the mathematics involved and a modest amount of real world track time. Different people will of course have different preferences, but some of the default settings may well be turning people with no good reason.

Sorry if the title or pokes at some cars' particulars made this appear something other than intended...

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The skippy default set came from recommendations from the school itself I believe.

You should checkout today's Skip Barber Wednesdays Wisdom on thier FB page. ;)