EVGA 780 or EVGA 780Ti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul_Ceglia, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Hi all I am on a quest for a new card I currently run 3 5870's on a triple monitor setup with an i7 920 @ 4ghz. Newegg has a EVGA 780 classified for 550 bucks and a stock EVGA 780Ti for 700 bucks. I like the Classified because of the price but the 780Ti is currently the it card. I can afford the 780ti but saving money is always nice. I want rfactor2 to run smooth on med to high settings with some other things turned on I currently play everything on low and off so my frames stay high, above 60 lower than 140 FPS for the most part (I have 120hz monitors). I would love for things to be @ 120fps to match my monitor refresh rate but I think that might still be out of reach atm?? Do you think the classified can run things med to high @ 5040 x 1050? Thanks.

Paul Ceglia SR4L

2. j haulass

j haulass Registered

Hi Paul,

I currently have a Classified 780 and as you can see in the graph on the last page of the 770vs 290 thread, when overclocked it will beat a stock ti by a few frames, though the ti will obviously claw back its lead when overclocked.

I run Rf2 at 5900x1080(bezel corrected) with 4xAA and 16XAA with Vsync on in the control panel. In game settings all maxed except for shadows on medium and special effects medium, multiview is off. The classified is clocked at 1241 on boost as that is all I need most of the time and keeps the fan noise down.

Back of the grid at Silverstone in Clios with 20 visible vehicles my frames never dip below my sync limited 60 and play is silky smooth. I got the odd jitter in replays, but that can easily be rectified by turning off vsync.

Whilst I mostly run the card at 1241, it's rock solid at 1306 with the only downside being a little more noise, and if you download the voltage tool, which allows up to 1.35v on the core, 1400 is possible if you have the cooling.

I did have a Ti for a week but returned it as the extra performance didn't justify the increase in price, at least for me, and the cooler was too loud. Plus, Maxwell chips are supposedly coming out next year so it made sense to save a little money now if I could.

Hope this helps you with your choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  3. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Excellent thank you!

4. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I can only share what i posted in other topic

Resolution: 5040x1050
    Drivers: 331.65

CPU: Intel Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX780 Ti (core@1076 / Mems@1925)
    RAM: 4GB @ 1066MHz

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    13248, 200119, 52, 81, 66.201

I can't get more fps even with more OC thanks to my old CPU :( but with results you can see yourself what you can expect from a Ti in triple screen.

All maxed out like in all other benchmarks

5. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

wow that is impressive thank u :)

6. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Just picked up the 780 Classified :D FRAMES HERE I COME LOL, well not until Christmas ;)

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Why the V-sync in a good computer?

8. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I thought Vsync was used to cap the frames so the GPU isn't doing any unnecessary work?

9. Saro

Saro Registered

Vsync is used to avoid tearing artifacts (syncs the frames the graphics card produces with the monitor's refresh rate), it doesn't have anything to do with how good your computer is. It does prevent unnecessary rendering work if the framerate was higher than 60fps as it basically acts as a frame limiter.

10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

If you're having tearing, something is just not fast enough in the machine. When you limit the frame rate, you're messing with the input timing and the driving doesn't feel as tight.

11. j haulass

j haulass Registered

I don't think that's true, tearing occurs because the gpu is rendering frames at a rate that doesn't sync with the monitors refresh rate. My monitors have a refresh rate of 60hz, so with vsync on my GPU renders 60 frames every second, all of which are displayed as my monitors are refreshing the image 60 times per second too.

With vsync off, and the GPU rendering 85 frames every second, the GPU is presenting the monitor with new frames faster than the monitor can display them, so you get half of one frame and half of the next displayed at the same time hence the tear in the viewed image.

Regarding the input lag, it's not something I've ever really noticed in sims, so it doesn't bother me, I've noticed it in shooters when whipping the mouse around quickly but I'm crap at those anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I just find the tearing completely ruins the immersion, and don't see the point of paying out money so I can run high quality visual settings just to put great tears in them.

Guess it just comes down to personal taste.

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I never get tearing when I set the game to run well on my modest PC, between 60-70 fps, so I guess that's why I thought the performance was an issue. If you get tearing, bump up the visuals settings then! :D

13. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

What happens if your monitors refresh rate is 120 and your FPS is 60 capped? Is it ideal to have refresh rate match FPS???

14. j haulass

j haulass Registered

Basically you'll lose the benefits of the 120hz monitors, however, tearing is much less obvious on 120hz monitors as each refresh takes half the time it does on a 60hz monitor, meaning the tear is on the screen for less time and consequently harder to see.

If I were you, I'd leave vsync off and see what you think, and just enjoy your beastly new GPU. :)

15. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Yeah, I'd love to try that setup, possibly with an rF2 DX11 .exe.

16. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

O I will.....thanks for the info ;)

17. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Vsync most be used in adaptive option just to prevent GPU to render more than Monitor can show but if its above 60 fps it don't sync anything. Normal vsync create lag because sync every frame with refresh rate avobe and over 60Fps . If you have a 120Hz monitor and you turn adaptive V-sync on, GPU will only "stop" render after 120fps and not 60Fps.

18. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Ok so with adaptive on this will stop the GPU from over working and cause no input lag?

19. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I have another question, to run surround I need a Display port to DVI adapter. I currently have one with my ATI setup but it is an active adapter. Can I use this or do I need something else?