TrackIR Stuttering / Erratic behaviour - How do I get smooth movement?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MrPix, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Have you checked over at the Naturalpoint forums?
    I don't think the problem is in the game, or at least I am not experiencing it. There are many people using TIR here and I've not noticed reading about this being a common problem.

I played a little and tried to 'mess up' TIR and wasn't able to. The only time I could cause something strange to happen, was if I moved back until I was nearly out of range of the camera. Then and only then would I get any sort of erratic behavior.
    Could it be you are too far from the camera?

2. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Hi all
    I've kinda got the same problem
    Trackir or seems stuttering I've got used to it on a 27" acer 3d 120hz
    Now I've just got myself 2 24" acer 60hz monitors
    Running on triple screen I can see that on the side monitors trackir is nice and smooth
    But still stuttering on the 27" one

3. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

How far away is the camera to the 'dots'?
    I have noticed in the past that if the dots are too far from the camera, I'd get poor tracking and sometimes it would be jumpy like. Maybe that is the problem you guys are having?
    I always try to keep the camera no more than 3 feet away from the dots. When on triscreen I used a piece of a wooden yardstick mounted on my center monitor to allow the camera to be closer to the dots than it would be if it was simply placed on top of the monitor.

I'm currenty using a single monitor and I just slide the monitor closer to the steering wheel base, so TIR's camera is less than 3ft from my hat clip.

4. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

I've got this problem since the very beginning of rF2 and already mentioned it in another thread more than one year ago. It has nothing to do with the distance from the camera and I can change the settings in every way, nothing helps.
    My TrackIR works like a charm in every other racing simulator that exist and also in every flight simulator that exist. This stuttering issue only happens with rF2.
    Did I mention that my TIR is version 3 ?
    I just ordered a TIR version 5 this morning (my version 3 is many years old now) and I can't wait to see if it works better.
    Will let you know.

5. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

What version of the TIR software are you guys using?

6. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Are you absolutely sure? I ask because I just launched the game and measured how far the camera was away from the hat clip. It measured 27 inches. I then move back from the monitor (my camera is sitting on top of it) while panning around and at 34 inches away I began to get stuttering and slight pauses. By 38 inches it was getting much worse. Beyond that and it was really useless as tracking was very sporatic and stopped a few times. This was in a room with no lights on. So, just maybe you are a bit too far back, even if you don't think it is too far.
    Also, I have found the distance to be key in regards to performance since TIR 1 back in 2001 or 2002 (got one about 4 months after they came out). As far as I know, it still remains important you are not too far away from the camera and the brighter the lighting in the room you are in, the closer you should be for best performance.

BTW, I'm using TrackIR 4:pro with version 5.0.300. There is newer versions of the software, but since I'm not having any trouble with this one, I never updated it.
    You can see all available versions of their software here:
    http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/support-download-software-and-manuals.html

Anyway, the only way I can replicate what you guys are describing is to move too far away from the camera. Then I do get the stuttering and poor tracking performance.

7. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Thank you Butch for trying to help.
    My camera is 60 cm away from my hat in normal conditions of driving. I tried to come closer or to go farther but it doesn't make any difference at all.
    As I said, it works like a charm with iRacing or Assetto Corsa or flight simulators at the exact same distance from the camera than with rF2.
    My software version is the latest, the 5.2.200. Vsync is activated.
    It's weird because without TIR, or with TIR but without moving my head, the game runs smooth like silk, incredibly immersive. But as soon as I move my head to look at the apex, the image stutters and kills the immersion.

8. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Thanks for letting us know the distance between your camera and hat. 60 cm is well short of the distance I began to see a problem, so it certainly isn't that.
    I'm not running Vsync, so if you haven't already tried, see what happens with it off.

Sorry I can't offer anything truly helpful, as I can not replicate stuttering or pausing any other way than to move too far from the camera. I've no idea what might be causing it for you guys. I don't believe it is a common issue, since so few have reported it. But it appears something is wrong somewhere.

Have any of you guys posted at the Naturalpoint forums? Maybe one of the NP tech guys may have a suggestion.

9. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

I received my TIR version 5 this day. Same results as with version 3. I'll try to post at the Naturalpoint forum.

10. DrGroove

DrGroove Registered

Hello
    Have you try to change the usb port?
    try to change usb3, or usb2 it dépends...

11. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Hello DrGroove. Thanks for replying.
    I don't know for the others, but in my case I tried every USB port possible: directly on the motherboard, on extension bracket, on external USB Hub. Always exactly the same problem, and only with rF2 (in other games it's almost unnoticeable, didn't even notice it before doing deeper testing the last couple of days).
    I went to the Naturalpoint forums and found loads of threads relating to stuttering problems, with different games.
    Many many people seem to have problems, but I didn't see any thread ending with a solution.

12. DrGroove

DrGroove Registered

13. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Yes extern powered hub.
    I did a lot of testing since I got my TIR 5. Deleted all the registry entries and did a fresh install, cancelled processor overclocking but nothing helped.
    I realised that I've got stuttering in every games, but it is so little and so subtle that I don't notice it while playing, except in rF2 where it's very disturbing.
    Last thing I'd like to test is another monitor, one with real 60Hz and not 59.xx like mine.

Also, I found someone on the Naturalpoint forum that says that he's got stuttering only when using an NVidia graphics card, and all's working fine with an ATI one...

14. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

A suggested fix for many games with stuttering problems is to change the TrackIR shortcut target to this.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /high TrackIR5.exe

This is supposed to force TIR to run at high priority.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
  15. DrGroove

DrGroove Registered

I have an Nvidia card and my track ir is very smooth.

Kaptain: or like that?
    start the manager application
    tab process
    right clic on trackir5 32.exe
    Set priority->real time

16. kaptainkremmen

I couldn't get it to work from task manager. Access Denied :(

Edit: needed to check 'Show Processes from all Users'

17. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I'm using nVidia card too and always have since TIR 1 with a Geforce II on up to current.

18. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Thank you guys. I already tried changing priority to high or real time, and even putting affinity to a specific core but the problem remains.
    I'm almost sure you too got the problem but you don't notice it because you only move your head fast.
    Just make the test please.
    Ride your car, stay in the garage, look straight forward and then move slowly your head once to the left, then to the right, slowly. Sometimes the movement is smooth, perhaps for a complete 90° turn or even more, and suddenly it begins to stutter. Then it's smooth again, and then it stutters again. By fast movements it can be that you don't notice it, it depends how sensible you are to this.

Edit: just answered my brother to do the test on his computer. He didn't notice the stuttering at first sight, but after looking more precisely and moving slowly his head, he told me that he also sees the stuttering ! He wouldn't have noticed if I didn't tell him !
    That confirms my guess that not everyone sees the issue although it's there.

19. kaptainkremmen

I get it but it has never really been a problem.

I have been tinkering with some settings if you want to try it....

Trackir operates at 120fps so I set maxframerate to 120 and also glancerate to 120. Seems to be a bit better as long as you can keep a steady 120fps

I would be interested to see if you notice any difference.

20. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I wasn't able to produce any stuttering at all. Completely smooth. I sit there for about 5min slowly panning left/right/up/down/tilting/x/y/z. Smooth the entire time no matter what I did and I was moving very very slowly. FPS were 105-110 (down to 98 when a couple AI drove by).
    I don't know, but I can't replicate it here. I'm sure I would notice it, if I was getting it.
    I do have a pretty aggressive profile though, so it doesn't take much head movement to move the in-game view quite a lot. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not though.