Wheel recommendations - G27 or something else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MoodyB, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Never see much talk about the Fanatec CSR (plain not elite). It's in the roughly same price range as the G27 (maybe a little more if you have to buy pedals too, which I didn't need to do.)but a better choice IMO. I have both. Loved my G27 for GPL but hated it once I moved to rF2 with the track surfaces that are not billiard table smooth. I found the G27 rattle and FFB dead zone to be very annoying. And I didn't want to deaden the feel with the in-game filtering.

I find the small "road feel" FFB effects of the CSR to be very pleasing. As opposed to the "bang-bang" feel of the G27 around the zero FFB point. (The straight to Masta really brings out the difference in the two wheels.) It gives a much better feel when braking and it also helps me to more accurately aim the car.

I have had a few technical issues crop up but found the Fanatec support to be very responsive. For instance, at close to year my right paddle shifter started occasionally shifting twice per click. They quickly sent me a new main circuit board (no charge) which was easy to put in. I mapped that shift function to an button until the new part arrived. I also had a perceived problem with the wheel not "talking" to my G27 pedals which required me to mail the wheel to the U.S. service center. Even though it was out of warranty they said they would fix it for free if I paid for shipping one way. Ends up the problem was with the G27 pedals and not the wheel but they showed great support "above and beyond".

In the week or two while my CSR was at the service center I reverted back to my G27. That really reminded me of how much I preferred the CSR. I was so glad to get it back once I fixed my pedal problem.

Just one more 2 cents contribution.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  2. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

I didn't realize the CSR was only £16 more than the GT3 V2. Could you let me know what diameter the wheel is please?

The GT3 V2 is appealing to me more than the G27 due to the slightly larger wheel ( I've always felt Logitech wheels were a little on the small side )

3. Paddler

Paddler Registered

So I could use my G27 pedals with a CSR wheel? What about the gear shifter?

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Away from home for a day or two so cant measure but for sure the csr has larger diameter by roughly an inch. Maybe check internet for specs

Yes g27 pedals work fine with csr. I think shifter does too but not 100% sure on that. Again internet search may answer that.

5. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

No problem. I'll just email Fanatec as I tried finding the diameter on the web but had no luck.

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Back home. Made a good guess. 10 3/4 vs 11 3/4 inches measured to the outside. The place that you actually grip ( the handles, so to speak) on the CSR is thicker.

7. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Thanks Ricknau. I'd forgot to email Fanatec about that :)

Unless I can find a new G27 for a silly price, it'll be either the GT3 V2 or CSR I go for as I know I'd prefer the bigger & thicker wheel.

8. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

I have my heart set on a Thrustmaster T500RS now for some reason! But cannot bring myself to paying the £350 odd for it! I am officially hijacking your thread, so whatever you buy I'll buy ;)

9. benhaha

benhaha Registered

Do you need xbox compatibility? If not go for the GT3.

10. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Hijack away, I don't mind :)

I'm not ordering my wheel today though sadly. Will need to wait another week or so as I've just ordered some pc upgrades.

Still undecided between the GT3 v2 & CSR though.

Both will come to the same amount inc shipping, but I'd get the H+Sequential shifter with the GT3 v2.

And like you I'd have loved a T500RS. At £249? Yes. At £320-£350? Nope...

Definitely don't need Xbox compatibility here.

Just slightly prefer the look of the CSR, even with the 'hard-to-reach' buttons.

11. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

12. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

13. Paddler

Paddler Registered

after a lot of investigationg and thinking I have decided and ordered a T500RS with shifter :). Have a G27 now.

14. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Almost ready to order the GT3 RS V2 + CS pedals + CS Shifter bundle tonight I think, unless someone can give me a good reason why I shouldn't? :)

I know I should probably go for the CS Elite pedals over the standard set + shifter, but I know I'd enjoy using the shifter for messing around in Dirt 2 & RBR.

15. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

What is all that totalling Moody?

16. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

GT3 RS V2 + CSR Pedals + CSR Shifter set = €293 or £243 with standard delivery

Or

GT3 RS V2 + CSR Elite Pedals = €303 or £251 with standard delivery

17. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

I pity your decision you have to make! Epic pedals or shifter! What's the shifter like?

In fact, what's the wheel like compared to G27?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

18. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

You get 2 shifters. A sequential & a 6 speed H pattern + reverse.
    I loved driving manual cars when I owned one, so that's whats drawing me towards the shifters over the better pedals.

As for the wheel compared to a G27, I'll let you know if/when it arrives? :p
    What I can gather is that it's heavier in feel, larger in diameter by 1 inch, quieter when turning due to being belt driven, and has slightly better ffb according to some ( that last one's very subjective though )

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Regular CSR is awesome. It has the smoothness of the GT2, GT3RS, etc. but has improved speed/reactions/response relative to them, getting it closer to the G25/G27 in those areas, while keeping the smoothness and pure FFB power of the GT2/GT3RS.

Other than price, the CSR makes the GT2 and GT3RS completely irrelevant in my view, as it's pure performance is everything those other wheels can muster up, plus more. Price, full alcantera wrap and a Porsche badge is all the other 2 offer over the standard CSR in my opinion. It blows my mind how many people choose the GT2 or GT3RS over the CSR because of the price/looks/badge/alcantera, when they are inferior, with regards to pure performance, to the standard CSR.

I like holding and gripping the CSR better than the T500RS even, really like holding it.. The thickness, and touch of alcantera on the grips, just makes it feel better than the T500 to me. Pure performance though I definitely prefer the T500, in the end that's all I really care for.

Pure performance over "feel". CSR is the best wheel in Fanatecs entire range in that regard (other than the CSR-Elite/Clubsport wheel obviously). I'd choose it anyday over the GT2/GT3RS.

20. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I have g27 and dfgt. Both are fine.