Wheel recommendations - G27 or something else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MoodyB, Nov 25, 2013.

1. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Hey all,

Shortly I'll be looking to change my wheel ( a Thrustmaster F430, which replaced my long serving Driving Force Pro after a burglar stole it! ) to something a bit more substantial.

As my budget is £200-£250 my first thought was a G27, but should I be considering another wheel in my price range, if there is one?

I don't mind buying 2nd hand, so a Fanatec might be possible but I'm unsure which one I should be looking at.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

2. Tony

Tony Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  3. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Thanks for the links Tony.

Looks like it is a G27 unless I can snap up a CSR off Ebay on the cheap.

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Well, good choice... I'm happy with my G27. I know the belt-driven wheels are better (and stronger). I could afford a better wheel and I've been looking at fanatec wheels a couple of times, but I'm still satisfied with my G27 so I'll save my money for something else.

It's not the best quality but easy to repair :p And a h-shifter is a must for me

5. Jan-Pieter Inghels

Jan-Pieter Inghels Registered

I'm a happy G27 owner.
    rFactor 2 is smooth on the G27 and makes sure it doesn't make the unpopular rattle noise.
    You don't have any ffb when you hold the wheel straight, which is unacceptable when you're taking sim racing serious.
    The jump from a controller to a ffb wheel is huge, but I read that the jump from a G27 to a T500RS is big too.
    My next wheel will be something else, because of the rattle and ffb in the middle issue with the G27.
    It's still the best wheel for its price though, so if you can't save money for a T500RS, then I'd go with the G27.

6. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Currys are selling the G27 for 200quid just now, overclockers just bumped up the T500 RS price to 400! You can get the T500 cheaper than that elsewhere but it's suddenly a big increase(60-80), though you won't find a G27 close to Currys price, bargain at 200. Almost had to replace my G25 but managed to fix it and it lives on for now :cool:

7. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

That's a great price on the G27@Currys. Thanks for the heads up Hectari :)

Just noticed the new Thrustmaster T458 Italia wheel is also PC compatible. Same price as the T500 though.

Think I'd rather put the £130+ difference between the G27 & the T500 towards 2 24" monitors so I can stop using SoftTH.

8. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

G27 in Currys/PC World sold out :(

I was literally about to click buy it now!

9. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Yeah it's out of stock at all the stores near me as well.

10. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Find another source haha, I've checked everywhere I can think of! What's annoying is I'm ready to buy but refuse to pay more than £200 (the old RRP)

11. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

£218 is the cheapest I've found so far.

Other than that it's Ebay or hope someone does it as part of a 'Black Friday' deal this week.

12. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

That is exactly what I am waiting for as well. Or should I say hoping for. I have even been looking on Gumtree!

13. benhaha

benhaha Registered

What about the Fanatec GT3 with CSR elite pedals? I've got that setup and I love it. The pedals are better than the g27 ones imho, due to the load cell.

You can buy it as a bundle for 259 euros from the fanatec site.

14. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Tbh I'm a bit wary of Fanatec as I've read many stories about their build quality / support, etc...

Although they are doing an offer of the GT3 RS + standard CSR pedals + CSR shifter for 249 euros ( £208 )

Decisions, decisions :)

Edit - the £30 shipping costs bump that up a bit :(

15. benhaha

benhaha Registered

You'll always get people who are having problems complaining about them, but those that don't tend to be a lot quieter.

Just did a quick conversion, it's £255 including shipping. Just over your budget.

16. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I'm on my second Fanatec wheel, first the CSR and Pedals, used every day sometimes for hours at a time never a problem, then upgraded to an Elite and CSPv2's about 6 months ago. Same story no problems...Well the CSP V2's did have an issue but Fanatec replaced them within a week...Most users who have no problems will not go around posting that they have no problems so you will only see the ones with issues.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+1

No problem for me either in the sense that they replaced/fixed the problems quickly.

18. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Yeah, there is a lot of truth in that.

Comes out at £245 here with standard shipping, so just under my budget & close enough to the price of a G27 to consider it too.

Think I'll see if any deals for the G27 appear this week and decide on Friday.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Definately go for something else. I'm sick and tired of my G27 because it's so damn noisy. Rattling, clanging and banging... Awful. If you live in a place where you can't make too much noise, go for another wheel than this.

20. Tony

Tony Registered

Yea that is true - but only if you run it with no force feedback smoothing, I think I run mine at about 16/17 ..aaargh! - but you get no rattles then :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013