So hows AC for you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Although our passion may heat our discussions up a bit, this thread seems pretty healthy to me. Not many people are saying "this sucks", "you're so stupid" etc. Everyone seems to be fully explaining their ideas/experiences/opinions in a detailed, or at least a mature manner. I don't see much harm in this thread...I think these are some if the best threads around, as long as the attacking people and "trolling" stays out :)

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

LOL,.....I took a number of standard GTR2 cars round Donnington{which is a great track to stress change of direction}....and pretty much nothing happened, bugger all if any feedback signifying I'd carried too much speed.
    I stopped driving GTR2 after realizing that the rear end and weight transfer had been dumbed down to OVER compensate for GTR1's rear end behaviour.

GTR2 is installed on my PC for Power and Glory's sake....speaking of which, those that like P&G must hate AC, as P&G won't tolerate excess speed/poor braking with many car/track combo's.

3. Domi

Domi Registered

And how's the weight transfer in P&G ?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There's a motto for this thread:

each to their own

5. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I agree, and for me, GSC 2013 is the best sim.
    I like AC btw, it offers a hell of a lot and with the amount of cars and tracks+mods will clearly be a worthy racing game.

18 months ago, the genre of sim racing looked very promising, but atm most of them have too many problems or are relatively unknown{GSC 2013}.

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Abundant......with the right car.

7. Domi

Domi Registered

You are answering yourself. Comparing those old cars with modern GTs with very stiff suspensions and high downforce... you can't expect the same behaviour.

Weight transfer is there, and if you don't believe go and check your telemetry :)

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Agree. Experience can not be calculated but if you're not wearing a crown it has no weight, even professionell engineers and technicians are nothing for the public. Questionable is only who should know than ?

For example, there are engineers among us and the word has no weight to the public but the developer has although he may have less idea of the technic. But so does the world and any comperition is useless without matching any data. Going by perception of thing's is what the experience can give you, but know the things only by deeper professional expertise.

The truth is it needs software developer, vehicle technicians and driver, not just a software developer.

9. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Nice thanks... will take a look. Do you get decent grids for GSC?

10. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

+1, I've never understood a single post from him.

11. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

GTR2 is the only simulator which physics was modeled based on the real telemetry data of each car from a entire race series (FIA GT-2004) using Gmotor2 engine (rFactor1). If you can't feel the "weight transfer" it's probably because you have a crappy setup or even use the default one or are used to 1950's bathtubs. It also proves how subjective are the analysis in general.

Oh, I see: GTR2 is "easy", so it's not correct. It's the same BS of ever. You have to counter-steer every single corner, otherwise is "arcade". Ok then.

12. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

9 or 10 :( Hence the advert lol

13. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

I'll say it nicely......
    I love AC and its graphics and diving feel. The Ferrari is perfect, as are the smaller engined cars and the formula Abarth.
    In Factor 2 the Skippys at Limerock are the highlight and the older cars particularly formula 3 are excellent. Real road is fantastic.

Which one will be the best? We'll have to wait. :D

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

EDIT: Doh! A long post - it's off topic, so skip it if you're here for AC discussion :)

Agreed. Too many people want "the ultimate sim", but they don't understand what it takes to create one.

We were once hobbysts. Now some people prefer to think of themselves as customers. Unfortunately it changes perspective. Some people no longer see simulators as platforms for running our hobby - they see them as products. They no longer look at passion and dedication of sim developers, but rather at their obligations to customers.

Ok, maybe in fact, we are all customers. Maybe, in fact, these are just products. But then why the hell do I need a product for? :) They've got shelves of other products at supermarket :)

The thing is - a hobbyst will take whatever tools he can find and make the best of what he has. A customer will want everything provided. I'll give you an example from league I raced in.

When I joined, at the beginning of 2008, admins were working on mod and were often asking people to do testing for them. A lot of people provided feedback. League ran tests for 2 months and there were often more than 20 people on server. So pretty much everyone worked together for the good of league. Everyone contributed (I'm highlighting this one as opposite to what customers do).
    Now the same league in 2012 and we have a hard time to get any feedback from drivers on any topics. Many saw themselves as customers and expected more and more things from league admins. I even got a comment once, that admins should "show more passion" and that we are missing things like articles, movies, broadcasts....

..maybe, but then again, no one ever needed that kind of stuff 4 years earlier. All they needed was to know when the server will be up :) So talk about passion - is it really an admin's job to convince people they actually do like to do their hobby? :) Or is his job to run the league, give people what they need to do their hobby and other than that - he is actually no different than any other of them - he just wants to race.

So this "customer approach" changed the way people look at us, admins. Needles to say, the change was for the worse.

I don't know if it's the consumptive nature of today's world of just too much stress that changes people. Nowadays they don't seem that much interested in "ambitious" hobbies - they just want to shut their brains off after a hard day's work and relax...

...but of course everyone wants to relax with the most sophisticated and realistic sim with advanced graphics, tons of features, superb AI, career mode, flatspots, blistering, raindrops, dirt racing, advanced aerodynamics, high-fidelty replays, animated pitcrews, talking race engineer, dynamic weather, all possible (and impossible) F1 seasons, moon phases, youtube support and I'll be damned if those lazy developers shouldn't deliver it already! I'm waiting right here, on my couch, in front of TV!
    ;)

Well, perhaps this is the way to go - we should be customers and get products, because it's more professional and modern way of doing things. Perhaps it's not up to us to contribute anything, except for our money.

But I don't believe that we should act, like it's the only way of doing things. In some cases it's not a good way (the league example above).

Such attitude will always exists, but don't make the mistake of believing this is all the community is. The majority is still here just to race, not to talk :)

It's a simple truth, actually - just because some group of people is more active, doesn't mean they're majority.

15. Miro

Miro Registered

[​IMG]

Edit: I sometimes fall into this habit being a "customer" too regarding simracing. When start to talk about stuff with friends and then talk about what could be better and what's missing you quite fast start to get negative and demanding. I guess it is really the world as is today. It's not often in real world either that you meat people who are happy with "less" stuff.

But then again threads like preclairs Nordschleife or the admin work done on RD for the current VWEC series or the Pixim release or just every single mod release swap me down to the ground and I realize immediately how much we really have again.
    It is quite hard to ignore the loud demands always and keep on just enjoying what you like. Sounds strange but it really is sometimes. I myself have posted a lot of threads/posts like we need this and that and please today lol. Strange stuff, would have to ask Nietzsche lol.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Another excellent post K...

Have that beer man. :)

17. Tony

Tony Registered

Nice post K.. I'm admin & gotta' say I'd be a bit miffed at being told we're not showing enough passion ..blah

Also offtopic but love the word "hobbyist" ..sounds a bit like a "garagiste" - didn't Enzo & Frank Williams both start out as a garagistes? :)

18. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

You're confusing the base software and official content (including the modding tools) with modding itself. Simple like that.

Any hobbyist needs proper tools to work, otherwise he will complain at the Wall Mart (here we often go to Leroy & Merlin too). At certain level, any hobbyist needs some basic stuff provided, at least you're intending to start your hobby from manufacturing your own tools (Custom Shaders - recalls something to you? :D). This is a infinite regression that leads you to the Old Stone age.

19. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Oh of course i understand that mate but really as said right now it seems everything has just come to a halt in racing. Leagues and clubs all seem to be waiting on WIP software and it just doesn't feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel right now.

rFactor has been dwindling now for a while, i remember 2-3 years ago rFactor was beginning to lose interest and numbers. Certainly at Flatoutclub a club i raced at for a good few years and helped admin began loosing numbers around then. This is a club that at one point was racing in the STC in it's prime with guys like Roland Enstrom etc still racing and our club were 3 time winners of that champ.

I wasn't a big GTR EVO fan mind but the club itself enjoyed it but eventually we moved to rFactor and had a good few years and champs with some ultra fast guys, like really fast. We all used to put the effort in with practise and had wicked 90 min races. But it began just loosing numbers and the interest wavered.. I personally moved on to iRacing at the time as did several others. iRacing though is too american focussed for me personally so lost interest quickly. iRacing still to this day though is the only sim though that gives you that cool feeling on the start line that you used to get in the STC. They have public racing nailed there.

The club are still going strong though but i think they are stuck in that transition now waiting for AC and rF2 to become stable to use as a platform for club use. I still don't feel like rF2 is ready, at least not for me anyway to really concentrate and take serious again, not something i would club race yet anyway. Collisions and Real Road need lots of work still before that makes rF2 appealing for me to race seriously again.

Last few weeks though i have been jumping in and out of rF2 servers for fun but find the racing fun but not something i can take seriously and really put any effort into. But these guys are ultra passionate there and same core guys are still racing on.

I just miss all that anyway and right now all that feels far away with the current sims on offer ( GSC not included ) I feel like GSC has everything needed for club use but it's just not appealing for whatever reason, it's a shame when it's so good to drive. I suspect it's the lessor known content that doesn't appeal, this is what i like about it though. Having lessor known content that differs from every other sim is what appeals to me. It's what rF2 has right aswell, is going for the classic stuff and more left field choices. Stuff like the Bentley as an example is kinda cool. AC has it's road cars which are awesome in general, race cars i don't really enjoy in that sim.

Regarding forum stuff. Well i can never fathom why people that dislike something so much continue to return to that given sims forum to post, i just don't understand this. Just seems that every forum you go, it's the same guys banging the same drum over and over and it's gets bloody boring.

20. FONismo

FONismo Registered

10 is enough i think to have fun with GSC, will sign up in a bit assuming i can make the race times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.