Grip in RF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaetanL, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yep, put even a slightly stiff ARB on the rear and it will pick up a wheel. Now cut a hole through the spare tire well so you can put a baseball bat sized ARB on there. Then that lift oversteer and wheel lift gets really extreme.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

Of course it depends on many factors and i'm not a clairvoyant to know whats going on there, i just speak of what i perceive as and try to paint it in words but almost every car does almost everything only by setup. The Clio is fine, the Renault's are all.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

Guys please test the cars with this config for the T500RS. It is absolutly the greates i've ever felt with a sim software. Actually used with the Petro's Mazda with a multi of 0.10 to avoid clipping. Yes it looks brutally low but it isn't, try the file in combination. Another car i did test with was the Camaro Gt3 with a multi of 0.83-84 and the renault's with something around 0.50.

All cars with zero filter in use and here the setup from the Controle Panel currently.

View attachment 11032

and the controller config ini just with the FFB config part. Copy and paste it in your controller ini or create a new one and put this in. The FFB Multi in this file is at a standard of 0.50 and you just need to balance the multi to your like or to use my suggestions above for the currently tested cras with. The cars i've tested all with a lock of 720° and balanced the steering setup to it.

View attachment 11033

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I rarely look on those profile pages, but just of curiosity I've checked "Technique" section for Corvette.

It describes my experience with this car pretty much spot-on. This car does develop a lot of feel and this alone influenced my driving technique towards braking earlier and carrying more speed through corners. It pretty much happened by instinct, so it's interesting to read the same information in car's profile. It only confirms that I got it right. But it also says something about the sim itself, when I achieve this just by following my instinct, relying entirely on feel this sim offers.

I can recommend these profile pages to everyone.

New girlfriend always seems to be absolutely greatest... :)

Just a joke, of course :) I don't know why, but I'm always skeptical when I see people posting FFB setting that should provide better feel.

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thx for the friendly gesture, i'm already struggling with the basic language, jokes i can't well and my not understand well, my apologies.

Yes i know but really, i feel the car rolling.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This reminds me of an experience I had with HistorX 911's in rF1. I love driving Porsches in sims. I have no real world experience in any 911's (I've done a few Solo2 events in a Boxster but that is totally different) but just looking at the way the car is built you get some sort of idea of how it may drive. After doing lots of laps in the sim I started to learn their unique behavior and then a few years later I read an article by Patrick Long in Grassroots Motorsports called Porsche Pointers. I was really amazed that I had already figured out nearly all his pointers from driving them in rF1. The one thing I learned was the bit about front inner wheel lockup. The cars have no weight really over the front inner wheel so it tends to lock easy. I was always moving my bias back to compensate but according to this article he warns not to over compensate by moving the bias to far to the rear and that a little lockup is acceptable.

I scanned the article to show to some of the other Porsche drivers in my league. I tried to dig up a link to the article but all I found was a link to my scan from way back when on some non-simracing forum which was broken. I tracked down my scan on one of my machines and rehosted it here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh467yejz5p7fwl/Porsche Tips.pdf

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks so much!

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No problem. GRM is a great magazine. The only one worth reading really.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hi Noel !

Thx for sharing ! Hope this helps me to reduce the distance (a little bit) to the alien's :D

10. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

Great thread. Tried some things mentioned, but in the end nothing really worked for me. If there are more tips&tricks, please keep them coming.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

For me the cars setup helps. If i like to have more movement i balance the suspension, if i would like to have more alignment or trailing i balance axle geometrie, if i like to have more inert and planted feeling i balance tire pressure parallel with others like steering angle/lock and things. With the ffb setup i have in use atm i feel everything i need, one more than the others but basically i miss nothing anyway, little bit faster wheel i could need yes, this toys are to slow for me, otherwise it is the more dynamic ffb imho.

Might be intresting for germans to read, it's about EPS steering simulation but also intresting to look on the image and the guy's test station, what a little e-motor he has in use, just up to 30Nm with a torque feedback steering wheel. As someone can see a servo drive is nothing new just not known by the public.

This system should be used for the car simulation. I'm sure the dev's are able to interpret this code and use it for the purpose.

View attachment 11052

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013