rfactor 2 on steam

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by alvaritoteam, Nov 15, 2013.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

If Steam is added for convenience but not mandatory required... Why not.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I've posted a couple of times my supporting arguments regarding not going to Steam (proper stuff not the stupid "Steam is for arcade") and my personal feelings about it (I'm against the move). This example you give with Kerbal is what I'd prefer with any title available on Steam, and if that could be the case then it'd remedy most of my counter-arguments against Steam (the remaining being profit margin).

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

In the end it's a business decision for ISI. I've said why it wouldn't help online in anyway already.

I'm not sure why people are trying to create a parallel with Kerbel. That's a game that can be played with a laptop and mouse. rF2 isn't anywhere near that.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The driving assists are there for many reasons, one being you can turn steering help, ABS, and TC help to varying degrees and run on a keyboard.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think you miss the context with my comparison to KSP. The comparison is that KSP is not fully a steam title, it can still be used standalone without steam if you chose not to use it. They are totally different games by definition but the approach might be the same. So the arguments for Steam get softer when it is not a mandatory switch, but Steam titles can still have some added bonus than non-steam games.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Jamie you said your piece well earlier.

Don't let them get at you and respond, they will do it forever.

That is Steam user's ways, they can't be content.

7. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

It's so sad to see most of the people who are against Steam have either no arguments or arguments based on false knowledge or experience with developers who used Steam wrong like Simbin. Even the best tool can be used wrong, not saying Steam is perfect because it has it's flaws of course.

Comments like those of DurgeDriven can't even be taken serious... "That is Steam user's ways, they can't be content." Seriously? Judging millions of people by a software they use? That's almost as dumb as racism...

Unwanted popups during gameplay or when using Steam? Steam update news can be turned off and the Steam overlay can be turned off overall or just per game.

Autoupdate? Is it really that bad? A proper written software should always be working on the latest version and not forcing to use a previous build like currently needed for multiplayer. rFactor2 is not using savegames so having a update that changes so much that a previously savegame is unusable won't be happen, maybe for setups of course. And if people really don't like the current version and want to play a older one, they actually can do it with one click IF the developer allows it. Tomb Raider allows it for example:
    View attachment 11959
    As you can see, every build since release is available and downloadable with only click...

Not being able to have multiple versions of rFactor2 being installed at the same time? Wrong... As long as rFactor2 don't use SteamDRM you can copy the game folder everywhere you want and have multiple installations of it. Doing it with Kerbal Space Program all the time myself.

Having Steam running always in the backgroun?. You can do that, yes. It doesn't take more ressources than an open internet browser, even less and not much more than the rFactor2 Launcher which stays open after launching the game and has to be closed manually if you don't forget it (By default, but can be changed in options , thanks Jamie for that info).
    And if you don't want to run it in the background you can do it, as mentioned above, when it's not using SteamDRM and only start Steam to update, reinstall or check/redownload false files.

I don't think rFactor 2 and Steam will ever work together and have given up on that but reading comments of people who simply hate something or dislike it based on false knowledge is something I can't stand. Not with Steam, not with people, not with anything. Everyone has his own opinion but this opinion should still always be based on the truth.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Click on the "advanced" tab and you can check a box to have that application close on start up.

9. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

Thanks, haven't seen that yet and even more thanks for reading the whole text ;)

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Bla bla bla I can't be taken serious and call me dumb.

Don't put words in my mouth , did I say I am against Steam.

I have pCARS ...that puts a big hole in your personal attacks ( DUMB am I ? ) WTF has racism got to do with anything ? GET YOUR HAND OFF IT !!!

I SAID the Steam fanboys are one sided they see nothing else, everything should be steam simply because they use it , praise all !!

Dearie me lmao

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  11. Pits

Pits Registered

I lied before, I can't race Steam with my Pcars because I can't, I tried a month after they changed and I had no idea what to do, I logged in and a popup appeared saying "we are on Steam", Pcars didn't so I was lost...

One may rightfully say I am too ('too' being used correctly here) thick, slow and stupid so don't deserve to play it, well that's what I thought as well lol so I don't.

This hasn't been a moan, Pcars just took away my time from all Rfactors plus it just felt like need for speed

12. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

Maybe you should read everything and if you qoute me, please do it correctly without rearranging my sentences into new contexts.

Your posts looked like you were against Steam:
    So you have done 2 posts on this topic, both with negative attitude and both insulting either the software or the users using it (Users aren't fanboys, if you mean fanboys, you should write it...).
    If your posts really weren't meant negative, then I'm sorry but then you should also proofread your texts before posting because they are very hard to understand for people whose Mothertongue isn't English and people can't read minds.

But back to topic, if you want to discuss anything else than Steam in this topic you can send me a PM.

13. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

If you go to their Forums there is a big yellow announcement on top:
    "Important: The Project CARS launcher has been retired! Switch to Steam: - Details Here"
    If you click on "Details here" you get a step by step instruction on how to activate pCars on Steam. You just have to enter your key on Steam.
    You should try it again because the game improved a lot. Physics aren't as good as rFactor2 but way better than a year ago (and definately not like Need For Speed anymore ;) )
    Hope I could help you.

14. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I have nothing against Steam and use it daily. I have several games through it, and I can set it to be nearly transparent like Kalanur greatly explained. Some of its tools are really useful, like the updating system, the savegame synchronized in cloud (so I can play using my laptop or my desktop computer with the same save game without having to copy them on USB stick from one computer to the other one), I can play online or offline, etc. It greatly improved and simplified my user experience, and made games more accessible for people who don't spend hours learning how a computer work. Thanks to it, lot of small independent game studios have lot more visibility, and "Early Access" program is really something I could have imagined working several years ago (as an ex game dev). Now it's a big part of transaction, I find that really cool IMO. It's ISI choice to be in or not, that's respectable, fair enough ;)

15. Pits

Pits Registered

"It's ISI choice to be in or not, that's respectable, fair enough "

Apparently with pcars a vote was done for a yes or no, I didn't know about it or a strongly worded "NO" would have been my response, that's why I'm getting in quick with my NO now lol

Thanks Kalanur, now I know I'll go get a computer man in to get it going. Hey Need for speed was a great game, plenty of !! bling !! and shiny things.

We need far more shiny sparkly things in RF2

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

omg I love shiny sparkly things

17. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Kalanur, you wrote a good post (I wasn't aware of the version rollback).

So basically by now if Disable Auto Updates, Version Rollbacks, Offline mode all works then yes, they sorted out most problems with Steam.
    BUT It still seems a complicated way to go about things, i.e. to make it that transparent and unobstrusive as the current launcher is requires a lot of settings in a lot of places.

For me the overhead still outweighs the advantages (I don't sync anything with Cloud, I find it easier to apply patches manually etc.).

And besides, I just don't WANT to rely on a third party to enable my access to the stuff I paid for, they failed twice at this already. I don't want Steam to log my gaming hours, my gaming hardware... I don't want them to have my credit data because they already got hacked once. I remember the dance I had to do to log into my account after a year of non-use (they wanted my cell phone number?). The download speeds for Skyrim were awful.

Yes, this is all personal opinion and personal experience, so yours may differ. For me Steam has been an obstrusive, obnoxious experience, keeping me repeatly from playing stuff I had already paid for in good faith, with no benefits added that I would actually enjoy having or would make it worth to bear the overhead/datamining.

18. gagipro

gagipro Registered

You can add non steam game and your friends can see that you are playing a non steam game like : rFactor2

:)

PLEASE DON'T GO STEAM : too much noobs, like drivers we can see in Assetto Corsa ...

19. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I've seen examples of terrible driving in every sim I have ever been a part of. Everyone is a "noob" at some point, even you.

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

One of the main benefits of not having Steam is being able to download the game I own into whatever machine I own at the time, without having to download a client and without having to risk dealing with Steam/Valve's terrible support and customer unfriendly policies.