Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Fully agreed about RF2, and indeed AC Physics is immature (don't know if there's some hidden aid to avoid scare casual gamers, good point). But I think your judgment was a bit harsh, let's see next chapters.

2. F60

F60 Registered

You mean like this?

Clearly too much grip, and no 'balancing' and dumbed down.

3. baked bean

baked bean Registered

That 458 is a blast, really like the street cars :)

The GT2 is fun too, even if its a bit too planted But what do i know. :D

4. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Hey Hedlund, have you tried turning gain down to around 50/60ish? i was getting less detailed ffb with high gain, turn it down and it feels better. :)

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

Guys this software is beta and its the first run. So a bit more patience wouldn't hurt anybody. Go an tell the guys your findings if you seriously intrested and i'm sure everybody is but where is the need of deep analyses when there are fundamental issues like bugs and such. After all it makes no sense to analyse driving dynamics when the very basic the steering physic/ffb is useless or flawed because of beta status or whatever reason. Its like you guys rating a car with 3 wheels and compare it still to a performance car with 4 wheels. Yes the vehicle dynamics are to an extent off but not far away from very good. The question is will they understand or find the wrongs.

6. williang83

williang83 Registered

According to some ppl here the car should had spun when they went over the curbs in the real video. I wonder if people got used too much to RFACTOR 2 WORLD and now they are finding weird anything else that divert from that. I repeat the ferrari provides a good feeling and it reminds me a lot the same feeling (excluding g forces) that i had in real life. Sure there are still a lot of work to be done but AS PROGRAMMER i can say that this is just a matter of code. If the engineering work is done correctly add functions is nothing impossible.
    I wonder why some people here had been so patience when rfactor 2 was plenty of bugs (DING IT STILL HAVE A LOT OF BUGS OR BAD IMPLEMENTED FEATURES IF NOT IMPLEMENTED AT ALL, AND IT IS OUT MORE THAN A YEAR NOT A DAY) and now AC cannot afford any beta phases.

7. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Just "en passant" comment: I'm amazed how biased the judgments are. Some people run AC software for 15 minutes (don't even learn the keyboard shortcuts) and they're done to judge it as "arcadish", other try to prove is easy to spin based on a girl who spun a FWD car at 50 kmh (lol), so RF2 is correct. Honestly...

In contrast, they're up to accept any RF2 issue with the beta / in development small talk.

A bit of fairness, please! Lol

Edit - Talking about fairness, thanks to ISI to permit this discussion taking place here, even having nothing to do with RF2 itself.

8. Maug

Maug Registered

I don't have Assetto Corsa yet but plan to acquire it when i'll be able to.

However in your post F60 in the first video i see an experienced driver driving with finesse a car that has a dynamic behavior. The car is responsive to the driver input, it does feel like it has a pretty much neutral behavior, with a little natural understeer and some fairly good natural oversteer. You can clearly see the lift off oversteer in the video. Thing that doesn't happen int he second one. I see an understeer machine that only goes in a slide using a power oversteer. The second video is showing a driver fighting understeer all the time. No lift off oversteer. The driver is swinging the wheel so hard i'm expecting it to oversteer, compared to the input in the first video. But it doesn't because of that understeer.

F60 you registered here only to defend your precious?

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I wouldn't go that far, sh*t happens sometimes. But the same can be said for simracers. You see the same bad driving in sims.

10. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

LOL - who is he? Gollum?

11. baked bean

baked bean Registered

That second vid i made :) just having some fun getting side ways and 'trying' to drft :p

12. F60

F60 Registered

Alonso was finessing the car was he? i think you need glasses. he was thrashing its pants off, and the only time it had oversteer was on the throttle just like the AC video. They look exactly the same, they even sound the same. The car is sliding all over the place and over curbs and Alonso is laughing. He is a great driver but you do not need to a great driver to power slide a car.

I registered to discuss anything I feel like. btw I drove rf1 for 4 years and done many more laps than you ever did I'm sure.

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

The fact that he thinks those two videos are the same behavior makes it a losing argument to begin with. I do agree AC is worth buying, lets see what they can do with it.

14. Maug

Maug Registered

@F60 Yadda yadda.

@Baked bean: i'm not criticising your driving, just comparing the car behavior and drivers input. Don't misunderstand me.

15. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Its no problem man, i understand :D

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

As I said before, not all curns are equal. You can hit some in real life and it will seriusly upset the car, others have no effect at all. You know the ones to watch out for and then ones you need to hit for a good lap. Same goes for rF2. You can hit plenty of curbs without upsetting the car, others not so much. My experience with AC is most curbs have minimal impact on the car but the fact that it has no impact on the FFB is probably what is causing people to point it out so much.

People have more patience with rF2 because it had very good physics from the first build. Around here physics are number one. If you get that right people will stick around. If you get that wrong, people are going to jump ship quick. pCARS is the same way. Most people wrote it off right away. It has evolved a ton physics wise (still has a long ways to go) but most people probably haven't bothered to test it again. First impressions are a bitch.

Personally the number one problem with pCARS and AC is input lag. Until that is resolved it is pointless to bother with. What trips me out is reading the comments on AC and pCARS videos where people say "Oh wow you have zero input lag". But you can clearly see they still have a ton. I don't think people realize what zero lag really looks like.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You need to rewatch because there was very clearly lift oversteer in the first video. You are right, he was thrashing the car. He was diving in to unload the rear, it starts to rotate, then he exaggerates it with the power. The slides start with the aggressive lift and yank of the wheel though.

BTW, not what I saw in the AC video. It looked like push push push and then WOT after the apex to sling the rear.

18. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thanks. I'll give this a try.
    I've tried to increase gain but it became worse.

19. Domi

Domi Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nlSZ9hWuI

0:50. Let'f see if you can see it now. In that corner you have lift off oversteer easily if you carry a bit too much speed, happened to me quite a lot of times.

20. F60

F60 Registered

Tell me exact moments in the video where he gets oversteer without throttle. Look at 4.25 onwards, and how much he turns the wheel to turn into the corner he is understeering a lot. he only rotated under power.

btw I notice the argument has changed from 'too much grip' 'too easy to drive' to arguing only about life off oversteer, which the game has anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.