Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

What is the number one feedback we get in a real car? Gforces. This is missing from sims so clearly it will be harder. Not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp. If a sim is as easy as driving a real car then something is clearly fudged.

BTW, Tom Cruse has a good bit of track time. He isn't a total newbie they just threw in a car.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well, after runnning every car, I can say two things:

1) There has to be some sort of driving aid still on even when they are all apparently off. The purposely dulled throttle response and the "hand of God" that keeps the car straight even when it shouldn't be straight smack of driving and traction aids that would be perfectly fine for a beginner (or console game) setting.

2) If I am wrong about #1, then AC is so far off a realistic sim that we really don't need to do direct comparisons with rF2. They would not be in the same category at all.

I'm happy to give it more time, but the current release is shocking in how immature it is versus the hype and rhetoric from Kunos.

rF2 has been more than frustrating in many ways since its release, but from day 1 the strength of the basic physics and FFB was always evident. It's the only reason anyone would put up with the slow and disorganized development quite frankly. AC is much more polished on its release (though it was supposed to be a final, not the beginning of an extended beta period) in every way except the ones that matter most--physics and FFB. In that regard, it is identical to pCARS. Afraid we'll have to wait quite a while to see if either of them catches up to rF2.

3. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

And if ever there were a car that's going to be easy to drive at 80% it would be a modern F1. Even professional drivers take a long time to find the actual limit when going to F1, unless they've come from something similar.

As for guys like Patrick Dempsey or Paul Newman, they worked their asses off to achieve what they've done. Want to see something more representative, watch the Celebrity Pro race at Long Beach each year.

But no, hard does not equal realistic, nor does easy. Unfortunately realism and accuracy require a more thorough analysis than that.

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I was told that in AC, dispite of choosing pro settings, it has real life driving aids on. You have to manually disable TC or ABS with some cars (by ctrl+A (ABS) or ctrl+T (TC).

Haven't tried it yet but it was confirmed here.

One thing I forgot from my first impressions: Shifting animations are really nice and I would like to see them also in rf2 but AC has to do something to the ridigilous input lag in shifting animation. Not sure if there were also input lag in steering but it didn't bother me if there was.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  6. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Disabling the assists in the menu and also with the keyboard while in game does not fix the issue. At least they are looking into it.

7. Led566

Led566 Registered

Pls stop calling him Lacosta (nearly like the polo shirt), his name is Nicolas Costa:p

8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Well surprise me. Another sim gets released, another argument about which one is more realistic ensues. Videos at the ready.

9. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Tested here :

3 way SLI supported with 99% GPU utilization @ 50 FPS with 5960*1080, I had to play with the same settings as rF2 to get nice playability.
    No side screen flickering in 3 screens setup
    The mirors are working by default with the correct angle (we saw our back in triplescreen setup)
    The Force Feedback is a bit less good than rf2 BUT I think we feel the grip/loss of a little more ...
    Cars Interior and sounds are nice

I wonder how it will feel with 20 opponents !!! The 50 FPS will probably go down 30, which will be unplayable ...

For the moment it's far to be at rf2 level !!!

10. F60

F60 Registered

AC has different cars which handle very different. You seem to only be talking about the Abarth which I agree seems to easy to drive, but the other cars feel spot on. There is no way possible you can say the Ferrari is easy to drive, when its all over the place and requires a lot of skill and car control to be fast. The gt2 should have a lot of grip and be easy to drive unless you are on the limit. Why should it be lose control easily? It has slicks and lots of down force. My street car is very hard to lose grip on dry road, let alone a GT2.

rf2 feels like ice in comparison.

11. F60

F60 Registered

Have you considered the idea that in real life you can actually bang curbs and run over grass without instantly going into a spin because those surfaces still have a lot of grip, and a real car is very stable and hard to spin??

12. Led566

Led566 Registered

I'm getting a little confused...you agreed with Rueda that since day one is telling us how impossible is to upset the Fabarth but then you're also saying how easy is?

Did you noticed the wild corrections Costa made on Variante alta exit (1:28)?

Maybe the rear of his "bad simulated" FAbarth is bouncing all the way out of the curb?

13. F60

F60 Registered

Yep, clearly no 'balancing' there. Just dumbed down easy to drive too much grip.

This must be dumbed down as well.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think people are missing the point. Yes it shouldn't be "easy" to spin a race car when driven "correctly" but when driven "incorrectly" you should be punished. And for those saying their road cars are hard to spin... Let me take you for a ride, I will show you how it's done and no I will not use the ebrake.

15. F60

F60 Registered

Its very hard to spin in the dry, unless you have a lot of hp.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No it isn't. Trust me.

17. F60

F60 Registered

I don't trust you because I drive. If it was easy then people on the roads would be crashing all the time just going to the shops because most of them can't drive. Street cars especially will just understeer if you over drive them.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am not talking about "normal" or "correct" driving. I am talking about driving in such a way to intentionally spin the car. The way many people are driving in AC in an attempt to spin but in AC it just doesn't do what it would do in real life.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

But actually people do crash all the time going to the shops. Hahahaha.

20. F60

F60 Registered

You are talking about the arbarth? I agree but other cars you can lose control quite easily like the E92 and F458. It depends on the car, but I agree the arbarth seems too easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.