R9-290 or GTX-770 4GB ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViSo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Graph as been updated

[​IMG]

Resolution: 5040x1050 (Multiview on)
    Drivers: 331.82

CPU: 3770k @ 4.3GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX780 Ti (core@1120 boost@1263 / Mems@1975)
    RAM: 4GB @ 1600MHz

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    12523, 200158, 50, 77, 62.566

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Poor me who has a 6950 and has NO frames per second xD

That's why rF2 runs so poorly <3

Fix plz ISI

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

It's not ISI, it's AMD.

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Sure...

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

ISI reached out to AMD and as of last update, had been offered no assistance.

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol

New games come out that require new graphics driver profiles to optimise graphics hardware for those specific games all the time. Yet this is ISI's problem to fix?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  7. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

I have 2 AMD GPUs @ 1200MHz (system specs in my profile) and I tweaked CrossfireX with Radeon Pro.
    At a resolution of 7672p*1350p with everything maxed out and stage 8 of AA + SMAA (applied with Radeon Pro) but env. reflections off it runs perfect!
    with 29 AI at race start from the last place I get 55fps and then up to 120 fps, I think average fps count is arount 80 FPS.
    GPU1 is always on 98% usage while GPU2s usage is around 40%.
    BUT, no micro stuttering, always good frame times, no screen tearing!
    I think thats because of Radeon Pros "dynamic Vsync".
    If anybody is interested in my settings and a detailed performance info (benchmark) i will post it here.

sry for bad grammar or wrong words, correct me if something is badly wrong written

8. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I honestly think it is ISI's problem, yes its very mean of AMD to not lend a hand like nVidia has, but oh well, hire somebody who can sort it out. Seeing as the gap exists in rf1 performance as well(apparently), and there doesn't appear to be any other titles with this glaring deficit of performance between equivalent cards, you have to say it points the way of ISI. I mean other software houses presumably get the same sub standard service from AMD, and yet they get the right performance. If it were drivers you would see this same poor performance in some other dx9 title, surely? Got nothing against ISI and I love the sim more each day, and this doesn't even affect me now I dropped £350 on an nvidia, but I feel for the people stuck with their AMD card especially if you just bought the latest greatest 290x or even two of them!(that would suck) This "they won't help us so its their fault" argument sounds a bit silly really. Someone must be able to sort it out for money... they always can, hopefully the extra revenue from lots of new happy customers would be worth the fee?

9. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Kernig whilst that sounds pretty good, if you run the benchmark as specified earlier in this thread I think you will find that your 2 cards give the equivalent performance to one not even top of the range nvidia card. I get an average of 80 on my 3 screen setup with one gtx770 and that's with reflections enabled. So what we're saying is that you have to spend 3 times the money on AMD with this sim to get almost as good performance...... that's terrible! edit I just realised that doesn't even take into account the extra you need to spend on a psu to support xfire or sli, not to mention the extra electric costs!

But anyway yes we are interested to see what you get from the benchmark. What 2 gpus have you got..... 290x? Edit sorry I just saw you have 2 x 7970... I used to have 1 of those, you get about 25 average with just 1 in the test and it looks like about 30 with 2 in crossfire from the other entries submitted. To be honest 80 average isn't enough anyway, was running Mores earlier at those sort of frames and the background is still a slideshow at those rates when you take a sharp bend..... I should imagine 160 minimum is needed to eliminate that. That system doesn't exist to my knowledge.

Be interested to see any SLI benchmark to see how it scales against 1 card as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  10. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Mantle API (similar to DX11) will be available to everyone, but in my opinion, ISI won't take advantage of it.

11. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Naturally it's ISI's poop to deal with... :)

As Murtaya very reasoned explains, it's ISI's job to get hold of someone who can code the way out of it...

To just take every AMD user hostage while just pointing the finger at AMD is just silly...

So effectively I have to pay 300 dollars for rF2? 85 for the game which is already steap taking into consideration how undone it is and the rest 225 to buy a 760 GTX to get a fluent experience? How is that fair as I have a decent, not great graphics card already which really shouldn't struggle with rF2 and handles other, prettier games just fine on high settings?

I have a friend, his name is John, some here may know him... He had a 7970 card and struggled with rF2 and as a result he bought himself a 780 GTX as a result...
    That's just outrageous he has to do that...

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah, all AMD users go straight to hell

13. MMartin

MMartin Registered

Hi guys may someone link me or tell me the post# where the setup to do this test is specified?

14. Armando

Armando Registered

15. MMartin

MMartin Registered

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

CPU: 4670K @ 4GHz
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7950 HD, stock @ 850mhz
    RAM 8gb 1600mhz

Frames: Time - Min - - Max - - Avg-
    8500 -- 198916 -- 23 -- 80-- 42.732

:sad face:

17. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

That benchmark isn't with the same settings that are in benchmark file or am I missing something?

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

Double checked, ran again - seems the first time I had FXAA on instead of off, and changing just THAT dropped it to:

Min 20
    Max 62
    Avg 35.610

Not sure why it went down with FXAA turned off but there you go.

edit: I'm on quite an old driver version from some release in early '13, as when I updated a few months back everything went to hell (not just RF2, my entire PC) so I rolled back. Dumping AMD for a 780 post xmas anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  19. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

20. clock

clock Registered

Hi, i bought a new r9 290, and as others i have the same problem low performance, tried to entry in a server with silverstone and formulas, and it was unplayable for me...

I was doing some monitoring on the card, and the poor performance is due something in the game is waiting for some calculations and the card is not working fine..

my usage of the card is going from 80% to 30% all the time, (like it were throotling constantly).. That could be cause in the core for some wait to result x or something code line..(that is the cause of very poor perfomance on Rfactor2)
    Of course i looked my core frequency is stabilized on 1125 core /1425 memory all the time (my OC card), and voltage stock.

In normally working games the usage of the card is stabilized on X (8x or 9x %) and cards goes amazing for example Assetto Corsa (doubles the numbers that i get with 7970 Ghz OC)