3 Screens & FOV... what should I set it at?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maniac618, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I know something similar is on the list, but I don't know the priority for this feature and considering the math behind this stuff it is not a easy peasy, I guess we'll have to wait a bit. :)

2. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Again thanks for the info, can't wait to get home now to try setting it all up correctly :) Even with the wrong setup on the 3 screens I was pretty well immersed last night, when I checked my watch it was 3 hours later!

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

When I was using triples I found that if you close your eyes, imagine you are sat in the real car and picture where something like a wing mirror would be and reach for it or point to it, then open your eyes and see if you are correct, you get quite close to the fov you get if you calculate it all properly. :)

4. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Hello,

have you guys running triplehead the same problem as mine :

When I'm running triplehead : I always have the left and right monitor flash in the Lobby or in the Monitor.

On the track it's ok but other than that : screen flashes on side monitors ...

rF2 is the only game that does this (since I begun 1 year ago).

Thanks for your feedback on this one.

5. Armando

Armando Registered

That is happening to me too since the beginning.
    It seems the game does not draw the whole resolution when you are in the menus, so the graphic card just draws a previous image or random noise.

6. gagipro

gagipro Registered

That's what I thought too but ISI should at least put black on side monitors cause it's really epileptic and dangerous !!

In fact it's my mother who was surprised and told me "you're destroying your eyes with these flashes from your monitors".

And I agree !!!

I can't stand these flashes everytime I play rF2 !!!

7. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

I sure hope it gets some priority. Us triple screen users have been asking for this stuff (full triple screen support) for years from ISI. LFS did it many years ago. iRacing has had it for years and AC had it in their tech demo. Tired of ISI acting like this is the 1st time these features have been requested.

8. Axly

Axly Registered

"full triple screen support"... I've heard that request several times in this forum, but i'm not sure what actually is missing... Can someone enlighten me of what actually is missing in the triple screen support apart from fps with multiview ;)

This is a genuine question by the way.. I am missing out on something and don't know what.

9. Tuttle

The triple screen is working as it has to work. Bezel correction can be set in the GPU control panel and basic calculations can be made with one of those FOV calculators out there. What is missing is the math to get the 2 lateral cameras using the proper angle when different from 45°.

So, what people is asking is to get a proper multimonitor hud where you can enter your personal setup values (distance from the eyes, panels dimensions etc...) and then to get the proper output based on that math.

It's not a priority because, apart the overall multiview performance, the triple screen + multiview is already in and it's working.

10. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

Bezel management that is done within the game so that nothing is hidden behind bezels like they are in menu and timing screens now. Side screen angle adjustments so that user can easily adjust the angle within the game to match the angle of their side monitors. In iRacing, you just enter your screen widths, the angle of your side screens and the distance that you sit from the center screen and the game automatically sets your FOV and does the bezel management for you. It is very slick. Same with AC tech demo. Even console games like Forza and Gran Turismo have better triple screen support than rfactor 2.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think basically just ('just'... hehehe) being able to customise it much much more and adapt it to actual screen position/size etc. Assuming it does what it currently does properly (no fixed 45° etc etc) it obviously draws your view across your screens. But basically every screen out there has bezels around the edge, so what you actually see is either offset (by the combined width of your bezels if you have the screens against each other, or by the width of your bezel if you put one screen behind the other) or you have to hide part of your side screens (by having the visible part of the screen actually sitting behind the bezel of your centre screen, in order for what's drawn on the side screens to properly match up with the rest of your view). And in either case you're having to slightly alter the distance of the side screens to your eyes.

Then, it obviously assumes equal screen size and resolution to at least some extent, and forces you to have the side screens directly facing you (with multiview on) or in a line (with multiview off) in order to produce correct perspective.

What I think people would like is to be able to open up a config in the game and say right, I have my centre screen this far away from me, my other screens are this size and are sitting here and here (and/or there is this much bezel overlap, or this much gap between the actual screens, etc etc).

So effectively instead of having to put your screens in the exactly right position to have the perspective work, you'd tell the game exactly where your screens are and it'll alter what it draws in order for everything to look right to you. The bezels are probably the most obvious, so you'd probably have your screens lined up so the bezel of the outside screens is sitting behind (in your view) the bezel of the centre screen, and the game will allow for that gap. The bezel will then basically be like the pillar in a real car.

You can imagine you could potentially have one side screen 3m away and the other 40 cm away, and the game can draw on those monitors with the right camera FOV/angle so that everything will still line up for you. That's obviously not a realistic example, but the same concept :)

(yep, beaten to it by the guys above but hey... why make do with concise posts when you can give people something longer to read? ;))

12. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

This is a quote from a Q&A session back on 8/20/13 at http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-qa-new-mores-previews

Q: Any plans to have proper support for Triplescreen? (angle, distance, bezel etc…)
    A: Yes. I (Joe) am currently working on a complete setup for triple screen including arbitrary angles between screens, bezel correction, and proper FOV based on distance to screens.

So is this no longer true?

13. Tuttle

Yes it is but doesnt mean Joe is working 24/7 just on this aspect. :)

14. Axly

Axly Registered

So, since everything actually either works or is possible to achieve, but not in a game setup menu, it's lower prio... Sounds very reasonable. I can think of several other things higher on the list than this. Still, neat to see that the need is identified by ISI.
    Thanks for clearing this up everyone, i thought i missed out on good stuff, but i've obviously already fixed it the current way. (adjusting screens instead of game viewport angles, bezel correction in catalyst etc.)

15. Tuttle

Yeah but it is not a lower prio...just a non top prio. :)

16. coops

coops Banned

Tuttle it should be high as more and more ppl going to triples for the immersion.
    Sound is another and league racing all should be high on the list of priorities to be completed.
    please explain why they are not and what is more important ?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well hang on coops... what do you want to be high? Triples? Or sound? Or league racing? (not even sure what that means... we had that thread a while ago asking for things leagues needed and there was a shipload of stuff they might be sifting through...)

I think the point being made is you can use triples and do bezel correction outside the game, so while the support could certainly be better it's not a game stopper - and some other things are maybe closer to being one. Collisions come to mind. There could be any number of other things being worked on, and from the player's point of view we might not even be aware of half of them...

18. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Yes It took 5 years to have triple support on blackshark2&a10c...
    Now it´s perfect !!!

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

No issues with screens flashing on my setup gagipro, not sure why yours is doing it.

20. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

My head is 180cm from my middle screen unfortunately and that's as close as I can get to my 3 screens (only 19" each lol). Hurry up Oculus Rift release!