New build is fabulous.. still horrible online though

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hariseldon, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The matchmaker is just REALLY slow to update. When I got off my server it took the matchmaker about 2 mins before it showed 0 players again. And actually my server, and others come and go from the list even though they are up the whole time.

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I think that might be new to this build or a net issue like when nobody could connect the other day. I noticed this today, one second only half a page of servers, click refresh the usual large amount of empty servers re-appears. I get lag in the garage when online too whilst trying to change anything with the setup since the new build.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Yep new build is great but online racing in a league race at Monaco was horrible the frame drop was enough to loose the feel of my car, I aim for around 70-80fps.
    I was practicing with 7 ppl online and getting around 60-100fps I thought it was great, I got a DQ so I left the server came back and started a lap there was a few more ppl in the server now and my frames droped 35-80, I thought that would be a little to risky in the race so I went out again and came back dropping my settings further including no enviro reflections it didnt help frames where about the same. This is possibly a bug but I dont know how to diagnose it.
    One thing I did notice I was racing with my Trackir and while going past pit area in trackside camera view I notice all pitcrews headphones where below the track.

THis post only refering to monaco its probably better elsewhere, just saying it was a nasty shock on performance, especially when all was going well with maxed settings.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

So it's probably not been right since that nobody could connect issue, so maybe ISI need to speak to those people again.

6. C3PO

C3PO Registered

This!

Making sims broadcast-friendly is the next major step. Without broadcasting, it's just a bunch of mates on a server. Or strangers.

7. sg333

sg333 Registered

I'm going to be greedy and wish for a built in audio chat :p

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Speaking of broadcasting. I just discovered that OBS supports Intel QuickSync now. :)

9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Official servers are coming. I am looking forward to it.

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

cool!

11. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

This is good. One of the benefits of iracing is that you spend a week on a given car and track combo practicing with other users, so in the end most people are pretty good.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

12. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

That's very good news! Now, let's hope the servers will show the current track and car combo (at least car) :)

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have experienced some warping online lately. It started a few weeks ago in a GP79 race on a fast server, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. But on a server last night I experienced warping again (I don't know the speed of the server though) and there was another time with Howstons on a good server (though that wasn't so bad that time). My connection is a very high speed fiber line, so it is not an issue on my end and I have never seen warping in rF2 before. It wasn't like network lag or jitter, the cars would enter a corner and slow like they hit a wall of molasses then warp ahead very quickly. The last time I saw this was Race 07 on a server that didn't have the horsepower to host really well and had too many cars on it.

14. Galaga

Galaga Banned

FYI, I have setup a server for Mercedes SLS Safety Car using this one track per week format. First track is Lienz --> Link

15. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

+1

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That is always the way when they do maintenance isn't it. ?

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Maintenance or not, it seems to take forever to update the the driver count. I suspect it is actually the server that is slow to send it's status to the Matchmaker. It is a bit overkill to do it every few secs, but every 20secs seams reasonable. I am curious now.... I think I will watch my server with Wireshark for a few mins.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Still Horrible online, honestly I have no idea what you are talking about, serious.

If you like Clio and cars like that I see big rooms every night ?

Personally I would not have allowed any addons on the server yet or at very least ran 2 servers so if you had a stock install it would put you on the default server.

Picture a newbie, he buys rF2, installs it , goes online and what confronts him , 95% of the rooms are no go with default install. :) ?

If we had a stock server he could join any room........ mmmmm

( edit: and when he installed any addon or used a custom mod he would get put in the addon server )

19. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Tbh the official ISI content is better than the mods anyway (mods do seem to be of extremely varying quality given that some are just straight ports from rfactor1, while the ISI content does seem to be lovingly crafted, demonstrating real care and attention, I appreciate that) so I'd be more than happy with a good supply of servers running official ISI content. I'm half thinking someone could do pretty well creating an iRacing-style infrastructure around rfactor if there's any way one can have a web page launch rfactor straight into a given online session (I've not checked this out but presuming that one could build a server app to which the web page could make calls via Javascript, which could then fire up rfactor2 through a command-line then it's doable). Of course the challenge would be finding the right price point, choosing the right schedules and running the servers in a cost-effective fashion (with no doubt the mod files stored on some suitably cheap but fast hosting). Of course, if ISI did this themselves they could get rather wealthy. Just a thought.

20. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I'd love to see several ISI servers setup as follows:

1) Clio Cup - Clio racing at: Mores; lime rock (no chicanes); loch drummond (short); mills (inner loop c)
    2) Meganes Series - RENAULT MEGANE TROPHY II racing at: Malaysia (shorter layout); Palm beach; Loch Drummond (long); lime rock (with chicanes)
    3) Formula 2 - WILLIAMS JPH1B racing at: MALAYSIA (GP); MILLS METRO PARK (full); PALM BEACH INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY; PORTUGAL INTERNATIONAL
    4) Formual 1 - ISI FORMULA MASTERS/Marussia racing at: MALAYSIA (GP); PORTUGAL INTERNATIONAL; SILVERSTONE CIRCUIT
    5) GT Series - NISSAN GT-R; corvette; camaro; 370Z racing at: LIME ROCK PARK (chicanes); MALAYSIA (short); MILLS METRO PARK (inner loop c); PALM BEACH INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY
    6) Historic F1 - BRABHAM-REPCO BT20 racing at: BELGIUM; ITALY (10k); MONACO
    7) Historic GT - HOWSTON HG4; HOWSTON HG6 racing at: BELGIUM; ITALY (10k)

That should make for our choice of nice servers running good content.

PS: let us hide password protected servers :)