The point of unstable builds

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Lazza, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

/Rant mode on

There seems to be a trend of either re-reporting bugs that are present in the latest stable build, or just using this forum as the new bug reporting section generally. Let's look at what we've got here:

Stable build 300: Various features, some bugs.

Unstable build 339: Build 300 with some added features, and some bugfixes.

If Build 339 has a bug that was also present in Build 300, there's a very good chance there was no attempt to fix it. ISI aren't going to try and fix all reported bugs before the next stable release - if they do that we'll be waiting til 2015 or so.

The idea of testing an unstable release is to get it to the point of being ready for a stable release. If new features don't work right, report it. If some previously working features now don't work right, report it (ie some changes have broken something else). If a bugfix hasn't quite fixed the bug, report it.

Reporting already reported bugs is a waste of time, and not bothering to check whether a bug you've found in B339 is also present in B300 is just lazy. ISI are already busy, do you want to just give them more things to do and delay the next builds even more?

/Rant mode off

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

yes, saw you ranting on against Bart S too. So you made tis topic to make your point of how YOU are bothered by it, right?

Let's see; we have to make sure a bug was already there, check if it was fixed, check if there was an attempt to fix it, check if it was induced by a new feature, check if it is only in B339 and so on. If not; we are lazy.
    We could be wasting ISI's time if we NOT read the hundreds of posts here on the forum to find out if, where, when and how a bug comes in.
    Chances are; ISI knows pretty well if a specific bug is new for them and if (and when) they should attempt to fix it.
    So wasting ISI's time? Hmm, maybe by making such useless threats just to let people see you are the MAN who knows best.....trying to get the moral high ground.

3. Adrian

Adrian Registered

@Navigator - That last sentence wasn't needed, it demeans your post :)

Does anyone know of any easy to plug in bug trackers that Tim could look into adding here?

4. Kev

Kev Registered

@Lazza Seems like you have absolutely no clue how public release candidates work.

Actualy, i think ISI plan on releasing stable builds each month is too often for such a small team. They really should consider streching schedule by one or two months but introduce unstable builds (which they did) and finalizing phrase (public testing of release candidates and full focus on fixing bugs before releasing stable build). Also i heard really good comments about branch testing but we don't use it in our company because i have only 2 programmers atm. And public bug tracker would be great as i said somewhere here already. Forum for bug reports is OK but bug tracker is just priceless.

They already have bug tracker for testing group.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

@Lazza; if you are unable to cope with being in this forum, I will simply ban you from it (that being, this specific feedback forum) as your feedback will no longer be required, as you're stopping others, or attempting to tell others that they are wrong doing what we want them to. You need to immediately lighten up, stop telling people what to do, and stop talking for others. This is way more simple than you seem to be stressing yourself out to make it be for you. I DON"T WANT THIS TO BE A STRESSFUL EXPERIENCE LIKE YOU'RE MAKING IT. JUST USE THE BUILD, NO SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS.

Our intention is to have people use the software however they use it, find whatever they find, report whatever they report. The bugs forum actually gets VERY few posts these days, I'm not seeing as many duplicates in here as you seem to be, and frankly I don't care if there were, maybe we need to have those issues repeated. Your 'rants' end now. Thanks.

Again, to everyone, this isn't difficult. What do you normally do when we release a build? Run a race? Test your mods to see if they've got issues in it? Tada!

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

I was going to say something but I guess I don't have to :p

7. Bart S

Bart S Member

Nice avator Kev, the garage at the back of my works has exactly the same car/color in it. Looks too good to be true in the flesh.

8. 88mphTim

I'm not a huge fan of gloating, either. :)

9. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... made me chuckle. :D

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

And I think ISI can decide wich bugs is most important to be fixed before it can be considered "stable" and be released. It's not the community's job. Or should we all unstable-testers co-operate and only report a specific amount of bugs, and leave out the less important? Because otherwise ISI won't release a new stable build until 2020... lol.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well... talk about being put in your place... lol

Looks like I misunderstood. I thought it would be more useful to discuss just unstable issues in the unstable forum in order to speed the next stable release without the clutter of already existing bugs that are/should be already reported in the main build section.

If Tim/ISI wants all feedback then that's their call, and was wrong of me to suggest otherwise.

Carry on.

12. 88mphTim

Thanks for being awesome, [MENTION=191]Lazza[/MENTION]; So few people can respond like that it seems.

Didn't mean it as a place-putting, you weren't the only person trying to tell others what to do, that we hadn't. :D