How many of you bought rF2 for mods and have now changed your mind (about mods)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by titi611, Oct 23, 2013.

1. titi611

titi611 Registered

This question only applies to non-modders I suppose.

Just wondering how many of you bough rF2 in anticipation of future mods, but now having seen what ISI can do, changed your mind?

Personally, all I am looking forward to is more content from ISI. I'm not even thinking about mods. I just want more ISI content!

Another member in another thread called the idea of installing mods, "diluting a fine wine with water". That's not to insult any modders or mod teams. That's just how good ISI content is.

Anyone else feel similar?

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I think modders will have a hard time keeping up with ISI as long as the base keeps evolving. I also think they should put more effort in the AI pathing and balancing, and that could be done right now. I really like the ISI tracks so far, but I wish the FFB were stronger by default in most cars, especially the open-wheelers, which feel loose and almost broken.

I'm open to quality, wherever it comes from.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

This is pretty much how I see it as well. rF2 is much more complex compared to rF1 and it is hard as a modder to get near ISI quality, mainly one reason being that we don't have the same tools and documentation what ISI does. Also having difficulties to get a hold of all the necessary car and tire data. It does not help that players are being pampered by various great ISI cars. We might start seeing good car mods somewhere near 2020's.

With tracks it is much more straightforward, and some modders have already shown that and easily even surpassed ISI.

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

depends what your after out of your sim... if you want to have drive days with 1 or 2 cars from a series doing laps then ISI content is for you...if you want to do a full race series with all the cars from that series you go for the mods

5. jomardi

jomardi Registered

if I'll, only Tracks, not cars. also maybe some tools.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The ISI content for rF2 is a lot better than what they released for rF1, that's for sure. But the ISI content in rF2 is no better than the good mods that are out there. ISI consistently makes outstanding tracks and there are a handful of 3rd party tracks that are just as good if not better. It's the same with cars, but IMHO this is where rF2 is weakest. Some of the ISI cars are not very good IMHO (I'm not going to go into specifics) but most are very good to excellent quality. With 3rd party cars, there are some that are much better but most are worse. This is an area where rF2 needs to step up. There is great modded and ISI-made car content out there, but most of what is out there is not very good.

7. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

When you are talking about the cars, it would be nice if you could separate physics and graphics because they are completely two different areas. I don't personally believe that modders can currently excel ISI content physics wise, and I haven't experienced that either.

8. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Eventually, with enough time, you will open to all.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I've not changed my mind at all, i'm just more patient knowing rf2 is much harder to mod for.
    I'm expecting (and hoping) it to get better in the future and that ISI pulls out all stops in helping them modders along the way.

But comparing a licenced car with accurate data vs a modder having to come up with things in different ways....

But then again I don't claim to have an educated opinion about physics and the likes. who really does? How many of us have opinions based on opinions from others based on opinions from others?
    Same thing with the endless drooling over laser scanned tracks. I get the 'realism' part but I never got that people instantly assume its better because scanned or that their racing experience will be so much better. seriously, I could not spot a fictional bump from a real bump :p

Also I don't think everyone is always 100% pro-accuracy. there's loads of folks whom would use a certain car just because they love it so much, or its great fun (without having to know if its 100% accurate) or because their mates/league are using it because it provides such a good experience in close racing.

Because if looking back we have been racing with inaccurate stuff for decades haven't we? did not stop us at all :)

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

ISI car mods are top notch. ......in fact so good it's as if they are showing off (-;,
    they are capable of good tracks too judging by historic spa

There's a good selection of cars now but not QUALITY tracks ( track surfaces are important to me ) my hardware is setup so I can feel the bumps/curves in a track surface ( using laser scanned surfaces as a benchmark ) a track dosnt have to be laser scanned to have a quality surface, when pushing a sim car to the edge I know if I'm on a part of track that could unsettle the car & sometimes have to make a small allowance for this, just as we would have to in a real life scenario

Rf2 still feels seems a tad "clunky" / unfinished, shadows are a big giveaway & very distracting

I'm currently not using rf2 ( not even installed at the moment ) I check into the forums often though, will consider installing after next build

I do think it's just a matter of time though, fingers crossed maybe ISI will update alot of their existing tracks
    ( they said they are with silverstone ) & maybe some ( quality ) tracks will come

11. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Nope. Haven't changed my mind at all. I'm having fun with almost everything. True, ISI tracks are great but there are also very good to excellent tracks/conversions by the likes of Plickbadger, VLM/Ethone, Vincent, ISR/Babs/Mario, Whoochoo, WHAT, Feels3, Spaskis/Euskotracks/Lagg, Mianiak, Preclaire and others. I run tracks from every one of these guys and think they are doing great work.

12. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I want to do full race series that replicate real life so I'm more interested in modders work.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I bought RF2 because I enjoyed rf1, regardless of official or non-official mods...I simply enjoy both!

14. Taranta

Taranta Registered

I bought RF2 to finance them but I'll play it when it's finished [​IMG]

15. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Rf2=ISI Content+2 or 3 tracks (croft,poznan,etc). Thats it.
    All other stuff is rubbish only delivering a wrong image to the world of what rf2 is and will be.
    They shouldnt even be allowed by ISI without a previous test (at least at this stage).
    If i pick one of our league members (not rf2 owner) and seat him with rf2+wrong track conversion+awfull converted mod the result would be less Money in ISI pockets.

Of course there will be plenty of great tracks and great vehicles by modders. But that takes time. Quick conversions (most stolen work from other people) are garbage.

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

For anyone who is a believer that ISI cars are the end all be all of car mods.... Do a night race and then get back to me.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Nice for modders to hear. i'm sure your comment will make then work even harder.

18. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

How about if Reiza switches to rF2? ;)

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

rF1 always had a massive variation in quality, even with the ISI content (as is also seen in rF2).

Should they not be allowed to learn, either? Not sure that'll help them get better.

Then don't sit them down with that content? :) You have control over what you install, and if you're introducing someone to the product, you have control over that as well. You seem more than vocal enough to explain to them that some tracks differ in quality from others.

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

well, my opinion is that currently there is no non-ISI car in the game that would be really good, altho i do think there is a bunch of very good ISI pieces