7970 GHZ Crossfire - This can give me more FPS?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Thiago Lima, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Omicron

Omicron Registered

Eyefinity and Crossfire only work properly in DX10/11 games.

2. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

3. sFactor

sFactor Registered

Really? I guess I better stop playing Rfactor 1 and GSC 2012 then. I swear all three screens were working flawlessly in Corssfire last time I played.

What exactly does not work properly again?

4. Omicron

Omicron Registered

Quote from pcper article:
    Link to full article

5. sFactor

sFactor Registered

So,

If I go and plunk down $700 for a GTX 780, plus another $100+ to get my PS up to speed, all of my triple screen woes will go away in RF2?

Perhaps I need to ditch my FX8350 for a top end i7 and mobo too?

All to run ONE game?

My system does fine in everything except RF2 now. Upgrading six machines is just not in the cards. Seems this is the only support offered.

I hear there is a slew of programmers looking for jobs coming off of some big government web site project? Maybe they can find the problem?

6. Timpie Claessens

It could perhaps make a difference but the biggest cause of CF not working properply is the little crossfire bridge which slows everything down hence why they are going back (indeed back, it used to be like this back in the days but the PCI ports back then didn't have enough bandwith) to using the internal connection between the PCI-E ports with the latest 290X cards. The PCI-E 3.0 slots have more then enough to add this process to it.
    Eyefinity works on every game where they put their time in, it doesnt need much more then a properly scaled HUD, menu, ingame video's and cutscenes and obviously the game itself shouldn't stretch in a weird way... But it has little to do with DX

7. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Give me a break... It works perfectly fine in DX9 games and quite well at that.

8. sFactor

sFactor Registered

+1

9. sFactor

sFactor Registered

Better tell ISI...

10. osella

osella Registered

You could wait forever though. Likewise I could say buying Maxwell is not a good idea because its successor in 2015/6 will be even better. If he needs a card now, let him decide fast, better have something those 5 months than wait for something slightly more powerful.

11. Timpie Claessens

Well to be fair, they pretty much have all this under control. They fixed the replays, the menus are properly scaled, ...
    All that remains is some optimizations, especially for AMD.

I'm not 100% sure I read it here or on iR forums (I'm sorry for the confusion but for me, they're both great :p ) and I remember a post from a staff member that told us that they tried to contact AMD about optimizations and that they basically got blown off. So it really isn't because ISI doesn't want us to have fun and have good performance.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

13. Devon

Devon Registered

A year ago rF2 was so unbearably crappy running on ATI that I got a refund and have not played since. It sounds like things have not improved - can anyone venture what I could expect with the current build with my OCed 6970 X 2 setup (2560x1600 display)? Pcars runs pretty nicely at 50-60 fps on eye-popping ultra settings - where is rF2 at?

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I have two 6870 crossfired and RF2 runs smooth, but it also depends on the track. Some of them are heavier on the fps. I'm having pretty much high settings, shadows medium, reflections low, capping the framerate at 75 as this is my monitors refresh rate.

15. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Tim mentioned something about this recently. Apparently AMD have shown no interest in optimising their drivers for this engine, whereas Nvidia do. Given the well-documented performance differential between AMD and Nvidia cards in rF2 (and other ISI engine games), this is clearly the case.

With this in mind I decided to dump AMD and picked up a GTX780 a few days ago. The difference is phenomenal. I can max everything now and run 20+ AI and the game runs smooth as silk at 60fps. It's not just rF2 - I've had problems with other games running AMD cards. Nvidia just seems to be less hassle.

16. Led566

Led566 Registered

Could you please me point me to this "well documented performance differential" I couldn't find anywhere?
    FWIW I run rF2 maxed at 4032*1024 45-55 smooth fps with my HD7950 (no multiview). Tried yesterday evening on IsR Megane server.
    It is a bad performance?
    What I can expect with a nearly same price Nvidia card (GTX760)?

17. e345spd

e345spd Registered

So much complete hardware misinformation (on the verge of delusions) on these forums..... 'optimising(sic) their drivers for this engine' is an utterly ridiculous thing to expect. If you're programming shaders and an engine within DX9 specifications, you follow the clearly documented optimization guide(s) provided by the manufacturer. You do not contact said manufacturer and ask them to 'fix' or 'optimize' their drivers for feature-sets that are complete and already well optimized. Now, if you decide to only use one manufacturer for development and as a testbed, then you may end up with optimization issues, especially if you don't bother looking into the differentiated optimization between each manufacturer. Also, if you rely on one manufacturer for development that likes running out of specification for both dx and gl (ahem, nvidia) then you WILL run into problems running the same instance on hardware that IS within the actual specifications. Such a situation will take a while to resolve and AMD certainly isn't going to be able to provide a magic driver 'fix' to figure out why things that are out of specification are expected to work in the first place.

However, Tim Wheatley is on it and he's a smart chap, I've noticed improvements and have been able to extract excellent performance from various AMD gpus, though updates and the like can change the performance and require parameter adjustment. It can take some time and tweaking (sometimes you pay a price for running the more advanced arc), but I'm willing to work with beta software, otherwise I wouldn't have bought rfactor2 a long time ago.

People need to calm down and stop playing hardware musical chairs based on temporary beta software performance...Pretty sure you've all had this explained to you before.

Those of you with performance problems (from both manufacturers): keep tweaking, reading and testing, you'll learn things. Then, take a damned break!

18. SkullcrusherMountain

SkullcrusherMountain Registered

OK, I seriously have no idea how this is possible. I have an AMX 8320 OC'd to 4 GBz, a 7950 3 GB OC'd to 1050 MHz, and I can only run about 25-30 FPS at 1920*1080. Am I doing something just horrifically wrong with this game? iRacing runs, completely maxed settings at 100-300 FPS on my rig and looks SIGNIFICANTLY better. GSC2013 runs much better, and I think looks better than rFactor 2, even. I don't get it. Can someone please help?

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What are your graphics settings and antialiasing settings? Put reflections on low, shadows on medium, and switch anything you currently have set to max to high instead. Try that.

20. Timpie Claessens

I don't want to say he's lying but I wouldn't trust it too much if you go by the dozen of AMD benchmarks in the GTX770 vs 290 thread. I think he just threw maxed in there for fun because my 7970 Ghz edition (single card) could barely get those numbers with reflection off, shadows off, special effects low and the rest on medium.