7970 GHZ Crossfire - This can give me more FPS?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Thiago Lima, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Hy guys! Its been a while since i gave up from Rfactor to wait until something wold have been made here.

So, in my contry those cards are pretty cheap right now, and since its the same card as 280X....i think it worth the crossfire.

My question?

Does anyone here have the same specs? Can you guys tell me something about the.."how much FPS" ?

Im running 3 screens 23`.
    i5 3470
    8 DDR3 1600 gskill

2. rhamm

rhamm Registered

In the long run you'd be better off getting a couple of nVidia cards to play rFactor 2 due to the issues some people have had with AMD cards.

3. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

yeah...just saw other topics after i posted. :/

So....a single 780 gtx can handle rFactor2 with a triplehead with, like, 40+ fps?

4. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

You don't need triplehead with a 780 or with a 7970 for that matter. Both cards natively support 3+ monitors.

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

A Triple screeen 780GTX should ateast give you approx 70ish fps on isi tracks in full hd and all details full, not including sparse grid supersampling.

6. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Don't expect miracles on a single 7970 tho. I don't even run on 1080p but rather on 720p and it runs awfull and looks bad. (This is obviously 5760*1200 or 5040*1050, not 1920*1200)
    From what I've heard so far, if you're upgrading for rF2: go Nvidia.

I'm on the edge of going for a CF setup again but after all the issues I've had with my 4870X2 a couple of years ago, and my 6970 crossfire setup... I don't know if I want to do that to myself again :p
    Especially since I'm not quite sure if anything changed, apparently the new R290X cards which use PCIE 3.0 have finally fixed most of the crossfire issues by no longer using the crossfire bridge but instead going trough the PCI-E ports themselves.
    But that offcourse requires a new CPU, motherboards and graphicscards which is quite the investment :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  7. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

If I were to do it again, I'd go NVIDIA for sure.

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

My 7950 can max rf2 at 1920x1200....with mid level AA.

9. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Wow...thats quite comfortable i guess.
    You run 3 screens?

I have a 660ti, but gonna change to a 780 for BattleField4 (just one screen) and sim racings(3 screens).
    Thats all i play.

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I purchased two 7970's for triplescreens... it didn't work. Too bad fps for me regardless settings. So now I have nvidia instead. It looks like AMD is a bad choice if you want to play rfactor2... Battlefield runs great however.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

With what fps?

12. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Not entirely helpful here, but I run triples on two GTX 680 2MB cards and lowest i get is 44fps and highest 120fps. My next card will be a GTX 880 5MB beast, and just the one for my triple screens.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Dude get the 780 Ti, it is coming out VERY soon to counter the R9 290X which is generally faster than a 780 and at times even ahead the Titan.

780 Ti or R9 290X, simple as that.

Make sure you don't get a reference model though, cooling, noise levels and overclocking potential are always much better on non-reference models for like $10-$30 more dollars.

14. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Amd 290x is out today. The benchs shows a videocard faster than titan.
    But will it work as the same with rfactor?

15. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Nvidia Maxwell is the one to wait for next spring.

16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Is that your spring or my spring?

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

All I play is rfactor2 when I had GTX680 2GB I could run triples full hd and get 70fps on average so this should be no sweat for a GTX780.
    Since moving to 780 I don't run triples anymore but instead 3D on 1 screen in full hd with Sparse Grid Supersampling and get approx 70fps, my frame rate without 3D is around 120 avg and thats still with SGSS. So I could honestly say you should probably have over 70 fps with SGSS.
    Still all this depends on the CPU and its speed too, I do run an overclocked CPU and found it adds 5-10 fps, I'm not sure if you can overclock your CPU but if you could get it to 4ghz I would say those figures are atainable.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What CPU u on Bart? If you aren't running haswell or ivy bridge non-e than you should be atleast 4.4-4.5 with barely even trying and cool as well.

19. sFactor

sFactor Registered

So, I need to swap out all of my AMD gear (a lot) for Nvidia just to play RF2? (We run 6 simulators, all AMD Triple Eyes here)

Obviously it is not an AMD problem as nearly every other developer can code for it just fine. It's ISI and it is unacceptable. I'll turn my $80 piece of beta software to shelfware before that happens until they can sort it out.

I guess I should give Nvidia a try again someday. I was always an Nvidia guy up until AMD came to the table 1st with a workable multiscreen card. Those days are behind us now and perhaps I should look at Nvidia once again. I was always of the opinion Nvidia had much better driver support than AMD/ATI.

However, I read just as much dismay from the Nvidia guys on these forums so I am not so sure this Nvidia works great AMD does not to be potential hogwash or simple trolling.

Tim W keeps coming back with "were working on it" "What do you want?" "I don't have a triple setup myself so I can't..."

Tim, I suggest you get yourself a triple setup and try it for yourself. You will immediately see what all the ruckus on the forums is about. See it for yourself and get back to us on your experience.

Simple enough?

20. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

sFactor sums up my thoughts exactly. It's really sad that the tripple monitor performance is so crappy with rF2 with ATI/AMD cards.