rfTrainer 3ds Max file

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Daniel Huia, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Daniel Huia

Daniel Huia Registered

Hi,

I am trying to get my head around the rfactor 2 files and am having limited success. The RF2 tutorials did not cover any of the files other than the GEN file which does not help me any. We have tutorials that relate to a 3ds max file for which we have no files for and an rfTrainer test mod for which we have no 3ds max file for. I am all for learning how things work but it is difficult when you have nothing to work backwards/forwards from.

So is there any chance that we can have access to the rftrainer 3ds max file or alternatively the files which would relate to the 3ds max file you link in your tutorial. If I had the 3ds max file at least I could see how the numbers relate on that car and then relate them to my own.

Thanks,

Daniel

2. FlashQld

FlashQld Registered

The rtrainer max probably won't help you too much, mind you it depends what you are trying to discover. The GEN files relate to everything inside the max file anyway as that's all graphical. If you can make a car in max you are already 90% there, if you haven't a clue there then I would suggest forget rF for now and play with max. A body and wheels is pretty much all you need though. You could probably find a number of helpful tutorials for this in rF1 as it is almost exactly the same. If its the physics and suspension files then obviously the max will be of no use whatsoever. Once again lots of helpful rF1 tutorials out there that are almost the same. It all depends on what you are having trouble with.

3. Daniel Huia

Daniel Huia Registered

Thanks for the response FlashQld.

As an example I followed the 'Complete Car - Car Modding Tutorial' provided by ISI using the rfTrainer car folder and files and my own 3ds Max car model. Where I am coming undone is that things aren't as simple as adding lines of text to the GEN file and all is well. As I am slowly learning there is other files which also need to be modified to reflect the model when in game.

Would be great and perhaps too much to expect that the existing tutorials included what you need to alter throughout the processes. For example on pages 7 & 8 when it is explaining applying the relevant texture to tyres and adding text to GEN file it would be great if it then included that the Wheel Base needs to be amended within the HDV file and that the Tyre Radius in the TBC file needs to be amended. I am sure there is a number of other things as well that I am yet to learn about but that is just what I have learned about so far. Just something to fill in the gaps so that what is learned from the tutorial can be applied to peoples own work.

The reason I requested the rfTrainer Max file was so that I could try make sense of the X, Y, Z measurements within the files. If I could refer to the rfTrainer Max file I could punch in the numbers from the rftrainer file and see which point of the car they relate to and then compare that to my own for the same relevant car part and then replace the rfTrainer file figures with those from my model.

I am still trying to figure out why my vehicle needs an Graphical Offset when everything seems fine but I have obviously missed something.

I do agree that there is a lot of helpful stuff out there in particular for rf1 but I guess it would be nice if this could be added to the rf2 Mod Dev downloads or a page that lists helpful tutorials. Something for all those new on the scene that have no rf1 experience looking to create content for rf2. If peoples work was recognised it may also encourage others to create more helpful guides. I completely understand the rf1 guys did it from scratch with far less and I take my hat off to them for creating all the great content they did with what resources they had available to them. It would be good to be able to tap into some of that knowledge some how. Possibly a facebook page to field modding questions or an alloted a timeslot within a week to field questions on Teamspeak. I know this is a lot to ask of any one person or group but just chucking it out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013