Community Videos Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

This is the Formula Sim Racing livestream from Sunday.
    If you simply watch lap 1 then from lap 45. Patel serves a drive thru and rejoins to fight with Brzeznski. They fight, with pass and re pass, separated by less than .25 sec for 8 laps in what has to be one of the greatest sim racing battles ever seen. By lap 53 the place (P3 ) appears sealed but at race end lap 57 the gap is still .54 sec.
    Enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQ-Ul6crOg

2. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Audi R8 LMS at Macau

I love, love, LOVE this car!1!1! I don't know who is responsible for it and tbh I hated it at first, but after really getting into the car and how it reacts. This is definitely my favourite race car in that class.
    Just listen to these brutal sounds (I recommend headphones). Can somebody please tell me who is making this mod and where I can get more of these cars?

3. borges

borges Registered

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Pm sent.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you keep using it, the sense of speed will come back. You're used to judging speed by how fast things go out the side of the screen. Your brain would get used to it. :)

6. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Hi all,

As its the Indy 500 this week I did a little race in tribute.

7. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

23 sounds very little for a single screen. I'm usually using twice the FOV. I just calculated my FOV with the above mentioned website and it gives me 22.93 degrees (essentially 23 degrees as well). Are you sure this is for single screen users?

I'm using Fraps. My settings are:

30 fps
    Half-Size
    Force lossless RGB
    Locked Framerate while recording

Let me know if it's useful to you.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

External sounds sound amazing at idle, then as soon as throttle starts being added it sounds so airy and tame (compared to the idle sounds which sound amazingly realistic, raw, powerful, etc.). I've noticed this many times. GT LEgends (including many great sound mods), RFactor 1, even going back to GTR1 and F1 2002. I don't understand why idle sounds so commonly sound amazing and real but then then as soon as you roll on some throttle the other samples take over and it goes into a sort of digitized, "thin", tame mode, while also sounding much simpler than the idle sounds in comparison. It also makes no difference what view you're in. Can any sound guys explain why this happens??...I'm very curious...

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015
  9. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

I don't know, maybe because the recording setup could only record mid and high frequencies ?
    I think you need 2 recorders and a dyno to get the best samples, one for low frequencies and one for the rest.

10. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Thank to DDN TUBE for video

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Forget those FOV calculations, they'll give you 25 degrees and you crash in the cars around you unless you have triple screens. Adjust it to make you comfortable. Don't drive like this:

[​IMG]

12. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

agreed, u should drive in a way that you havea clue whats around you, very small FoVs are imho for massive display device users like mentioned triples

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Are you from Facepunch? Distance to the windshield is not adjusted by FOV. Yes you would probably have a crash in real life if you blocked off just the space around your single monitor size. But in real life if you drove at a high FOV with fisheye glasses you would also die quite quickly.

[​IMG]

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Take a cardboard cutout the same size of your monitor into your car, place in in front of your face. What you see is a realistic FOV. Now it's up to you if you want to drive like that, or drive fisheye or drive something in between. Personally I choose something in between which is a FOV of 35.

Driving with a close FOV has nothing to do with putting your face up to the windshield, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

15. matf1

matf1 Registered

We're all different and maybe experience also plays a part. Very small FOVs, no. Correct FOV, it's essential imo.

I'm always amused when posts are made complaining about mirror resolution as I'd never considered that people actually look at their mirrors. That's why we have peripheral vision!
    Personally, if I suspect something is there, they get half to a maybe a car's width. Enough room to get themselves out of the trouble they are in and not take me with them.
    If I suspect they are alongside, hold the line. Make wider arcs... anything that provides them an opportunity and space to correct over ambition.

At the very worst you may lose a bit of time, but you are on track still and because you don't look at your mirrors, you nail each and every apex.

16. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I have tried 23 degrees FOV. It is completely impossible to drive like this. Unless, you're happy with sunday driving that is. Couldn't even see the apex of any turn not to mention other cars. It feels like you're driving with your eyes crossed or something.
    30 degrees is the absolute minimum for me where I can get somewhat decent laptimes. Even on my favourite tracks, which I know in and out, with 23 degrees I was constantly 2-3 seconds behind my own personal best. This is some big BS.

17. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Have to agree! Tried for a YEAR at 28 deg but could never get rid of the feeling driving through binoculars. A month ago I started backing off and when I got to 50 deg fov I started hitting my breaking points , nice sense of speed and IT FELT REAL!! I think each person has a unique perspective and each one has to adjust the sim to that.

18. 88mphTim

It's putting the wheel and cockpit at the right distance, the way they'd actually look if you were in the car, right size.

19. 88mphTim

I've always assumed a car is where I saw it going. :) Though I will say that when I am recording anything I do put the FOV out because the lower FOV looks crappy on Youtube, etc.

20. 88mphTim

It can be difficult. I would advise (I'm by no means trying to force you to) using something like a Track IR because obviously a real driver can move their eyes and head.