Community Videos Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Had a bit of fun last night with URD EGT mod (again) and for the first time am trying 1080p @ 60fps for the vid... hope it works out.

2. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

is it just me, or do the HD 60 fps videos get all jittery and choppy for everyone? I let it buffer before I hit play, and it still was all messed up...using Chrome

3. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Are you talking about the representation of weather effects or the actual physics aplication of them?

Is is the first, im with you.

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Neither.
    I'm not talking about visuals. I'm not talking about physics.
    I'm taking about correlation in time between these two.

In reality the first thing you notice is that it's raining and then you notice difference in your car's handling.

In rF2 it's exactly the opposite - first the grip drops, then road gets wet, then it starts to rain. Calling it awkward is polite :)

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol, what? I've never seen the road get wet before it rains, or the grip loss before the track gets wet. *shrug*

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It can happen sometimes if you go forward and backwards in a replay, etc.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Replays can be misleading if fast forwarded, but it's not just replays.

I remember driving Nissan at Portugal. At some point my grip levels dropped and some "smoke" started to appear. I knew it was supposed to start raining at some point, but it still caught me by surprise. I had no visual cues it's raining already. I had road reflections enabled, but there was nothing shiny about the road. Yet my grip levels were off.

I had to stop the car, switch to external camera and look carefully. Yes, there were some very sparse rain drops that you could notice on dark background. Visibility was still excellent, road was bright and without any reflections, yet car behavior suggested noticeable amount of rainfall.

I drove for 2 or 3 more laps before road got darker (which suggested it's soaked), but still no reflection on road (which suggested no water layer on top of road yet). That was 2-3 laps after I started losing grip.

I continued driving and after some more time I could see some faint reflection on the road. Rain started to be noticeable as well. But that was long after my car handling got affected.

You can see the same on that video I commented on. Replay is not fast forwarded there, yet driver is caught by surprise with decreased grip and "smoke" from tires before other visual cues of rain become apparent.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  9. 88mphTim

To be honest, I don't know why that would be, but Portugal isn't a good example of anything. You've seen it elsewhere? AFAIK Portugal really isn't even considered rF2 tech anymore, for almost anything.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I think I know what causes this.

Imagine you have accelerated real road by 10x.
    A heavy rain came and it's been raining for 5 seconds.
    Weather visualization starts to smoothly tune in to new conditions. Since it happens smoothly, we don't yet notice the rain or decreased visibility - we will in a moment.

What happens:
    - physics of real road now have 10x5 seconds of heavy rain - enough to affect your grip.
    - visual layer of real road is still not reflecting these changes (will take a moment to transfer from physical real road to visual real road).
    - weather visualization is still not showing the rain as heavy as it really is in simulation.

So perhaps every component does what it should do and proper dependencies are there, but for various reasons things get out of sync and physics gets ahead of visuals.
    Perhaps there would be no issue if there was no time acceleration set anywhere - all simulation and visualization components could keep up with each other and provide feedback to driver in the right order :)

If that would really be the case then solution would be to force track wetness update rate to normal, regardless of rubber buildup rate. Or perhaps controlled separately? :)

Lacking track reflection is another issue - related to old road shaders in some tracks that perhaps are no longer handled properly by engine. This presents us with another issue. Portugal is part of your product and it's not a good situation when some features of your software stop working properly there. It limits the ways we can use that content, so it hurts the product.
    I perfectly understand why it's unreasonable to constantly update old content, so I don't need an explanation :) I'm merely pointing out something I think is a growing issue.

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

The changeable weather in rf2 is completely wrong and broken physically and graphically.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It is? I had a blast on a karting server on Saturday night, with changing conditions. Worked a treat. :)

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

To add to the issues, i swear sometimes the track feels wetter and slippier once the rain starts going away and sometimes the slick tyres maintain too much grip and are faster than the wets even though it's been raining forma while.

It's all a little all over the place. But I still LOVE IT!!! Karting in the wet and dealing with the track going from dry to wet to dry really over a 20 minute session race with accelerated time-scale (weather) and/or accelerated realroad (not sure how each affects weather and drying/wet surfaces) is AMAZING.

The thing is, other than pure vehicle physics and FFB, the whole dynamic "RealWorld" system (as I like to call it) was supposed to be rF2's trademark or whatever. I hope they really go back at this HARD once everything is settled regarding other priorities (graphics, U.I., multiplayer, etc.)

14. 88mphTim

I think some people think slicks have no grip in damp conditions, that's simply not true. The aggregate of the racing surface can easily allow rubber to touch the track surface, and frankly in those situations you'd have less grip in wet tires with a decreased contact patch due to the grooves. Be very sure of how much standing water there would actually be before talking about grip, as I've not often had it be off what I would expect. Though yes, at times it has.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I think people are often confused, because visualization doesn't provide something they would naturally relate to - only some artificial representation that human cannot naturally translate into track condition.

This is why they say they've lost grip but road was not very wet or vice versa. Then developers must tell them to make sure road was wet or dry at the time they observed grip loss.

For me it's like this - I start to notice grip levels dropping, then I look at screen and think: "Ok, so this is how real road looks like, when there starts to be some grip decrease - I need to remember that appearance and look for it next time". It shouldn't be like this. Especially when transition from one appearance to another is stretched into some linear function (as programmers often do). This limits my ability to make distinction.

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

The worst thing is when it rains I can't see it and it doesn't seem to rain and I can recognize it only when I see the other cars in track with their spray( well it looks more smoke rather than rain spray!).

17. Dux

Dux Registered

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Have you enabled 'rain drops' in the settings menu?

19. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

20. baked bean

baked bean Registered