Community Videos Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Right but your average Joe public does not know all this technical stuff about why one sim looks better than the other. They can only go by what they see in the video and also I am just using iRacing as reference as this is the sim that is used here. Isn't pCARS using dynamic lighting? Don't they manage to get a dynamic looking image? I prefer iRacing visually again to pCARS, iRacing is the best looking sim still for me but pCARS still manages to look good. Even in your video Tim and screens, rF2 is looking flat, maybe lack of decent skyboxes in rF2 don't help things either.

2. digiprost

digiprost Registered

Hello, sorry for my English.

Sorry for not enable HDR in the video, I honestly did not realize the difference is large, if it's so important to look good for the game that no longer an option and always puts the HDR unable to remove ?

greetings and sorry

3. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

Some people don´t like hdr or their systems are not able to maintain a good FPS rate with HDR on.
    Don´t apologize for your english, languages ​​aren´t easy for many people (I include myself in that group).
    I like to read something written in Spanish, sure it will be a funny reading :p

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I wasn't referring to you. I was talking about the video. We're using our own dynamic system and still working on it, if you find it flat I can't convince you it isn't as your perception it's saying the opposite. I don't know which kind of parameters you're using to judge something flat and something else realistic but I totally respect your vision. What I can say it's what we are doing and what we're not doing. What we're not doing it's to make things looking "dramatic" all the time and for no reasons as sometimes the light looks "flat" in real life too. Light looks flat at noon as everything looks dull on overcast etc etc... Sure a game engine has limits when it's trying to simulate the reality without adding dramatic effects to fill the "gap". Global illumination, raytracing etc...are not (yet) available for game engines, so it's tricky to make things working solid on critic situations. The automation was a big step in this direction to conform the HDR pipeline with the dynamic time system but other improvements are possible.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Some people can't run with it on. So we leave the option to turn it off. It's OK, just confusing for anyone who sees it, because they are misinformed by it.

iRacing do things differently and have their look from that, obviously on your machine you get a good framerate based on that. But your comparison isn't about framerate to the people watching, it's about visuals only, and although some people may still prefer iRacing visually, and that's OK, you're not giving them a real basis for an opinion to choose, or to compare, in my opinion. :) It would be much more helpful to the community to show each at their best, and then people can be informed and choose whichever product.

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Hotlap on the new GP circuit. 1:09.7

A while since I had looked at this so did a tyre deflection test. Looks very cool, I think.

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

8. Adrian

Adrian Registered

A lap of Sonoma Raceway in the DW-12 - Oculus Rift and terrible driving ;) god dam fun though.

edit-sounds way out of sync for some reason, sorry

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Awesome Adrian, is that Dev kit one or two?

10. Adrian

Adrian Registered

DK1, can't wait for dk2, ordered very soon after they went up so hopefully its not delayed too much.

11. Jamie Shorting

Thanks, forgot dk2's weren't delivered yet. :p

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Seems like what we need is more of a balance between the two..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a brightness tweak.

13. JMCardenas

JMCardenas Registered

Produced by iToX to summarize some of the latest race cars SinL Team held last weekend at Spa 6 hours of SCES 2014, organized by SimHQ Motorsports, to inform members of our web www.speedinlive. com.

Take this opportunity to ask ISI greater dedication to the problems identified in endurance races, which I encourage everyone to participate. They are truly exciting.

14. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I think the dynamic lighting is horribly difficult to get consistent. Although it'll never be perfect in ALL times of day, in all kind of conditions, I do think this is what makes rF2 so different, in a good way. I still think ISI will tune the visuals, even now it has become a lot better already.

Wanted to show you guys this. The sky in iRacing is pretty dramatic but also adds a sensation of depth. Look at this 'pasted' sky in rF2, it already looks VERY different from that plain blue sky. I think the sky and especially those clouds could be improved, make it look less like a flat 'ceiling' and add more depth.

View attachment 12919

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

I think it's that many people don't seem, to bother setting any kind of weather or clouds in rF2. Most of the pics and vids I see are of the plain clear blue sky, which does look rather flat. If you at least just set "Light Clouds", the game looks much better IMO. The Indy server currently has no cloud at all set on it, for any of the sessions. I think it would look much nicer with just a teeny bit.

16. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

+1

17. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Yea I drive in light overcast conditions myself pretty often. I like the change in lighting when some clouds cast shadows over the track. At indy, I drove on the back straight in sunny conditions while just half a lap later the sun and dark shadows were gone... So dynamic, so real-life, so immersive :)

That beats static environments EVERY time, even with less photorealistic visuals.

18. JMCardenas

JMCardenas Registered

No means that debates on comparative graphs and mixing qualities between different programs or simulators in a forum to display videos captured by users. Make one discouraged and do not pay attention to the updates of this forum. I think they are interesting topics that should be discussed in different forums.

19. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  20. Jamie Shorting

This.

So many people have their servers setup at 1:00 PM Clear sky 29C

I often wonder if people are aware that rF2 have a 24hr dynamic clock and dynamic weather.