Radeon R9 280X

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Sergey Yashin, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

So I went and bought the R9 280X card which supposed to be as good as the 770GTX according to benchmarks, but for some reason in RF2 I get the same fps as my old 560Ti...
    Is it normal or something is bad on my end?

2. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

It is as good as a GTX770 on games that get driver support, not some small race sim that AMD don't care about.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Dude there are plenty of reports on this site of how bad AMD cards are for rfactor2, I just hope you play other games to justify your choice

4. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

I admit, I made a huge mistake. For many years I have had Nvidia cards and now decided to try AMD... I didn't know how bad it is, I've tried a few games and I now regret about this purchase.

5. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Just bought the Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X OC and experience the same like you. Not the massive impact I supposed to find. I little fps more than my old HD6870 now with all maxed out. Looks awesome but Im in a way disappointed. I think the most does the 3GB of GRAM. Hopefully that will turn in future updates and drivers :p

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Things will get better for other games. AMD always releases their new cards without proper drivers. Performance with rf2 on the otherhand who knows.

7. Adrian

Adrian Registered

@Sergey Yashin

Yeah pretty much, its based off the 7970 board but with a few new bits and bobs, just like the nvidia 760?770? is to the 680. You should be getting ~50fps @1080p with most things on full (not reflections or multiview) with a 7970. Did you make sure to clean off the nvidia drivers before installing the AMD ones (which ones are you using btw?)

8. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

Yes, I deleted nvidia drivers and installed the latest beta catalyst drivers.

With everything on full except road and car reflection on off and sun oclusion off, HDR on ,antialising on 8, and v-sync on, with full grid at lime rock driving in the car at the start of a race I get 24 fps with 10 cars visible... That's really bad and I'm sure that 770GTX can easily do much much more... 1920x1080 resolution

I mean, Battlefield 3 I can run with all max and ultra, I get solid 60 fps but when it comes to rFactor2 it is really really bad

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  9. jayblue

jayblue Registered

Make sure in CCC that you set AA mode to "performance" - "multi sample AA" and AA to use application settings. This gave me a massive FPS boost and the image quality was no different.

Don't use the adaptive AA or super sample settings.

10. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Do you use MultiSample AA or SuperSample AA in CCC? SuperSample causes huge FPS drop.

Oops, jayblue was faster :)

11. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

I'm using multisample and almost everything on controlled by app...
    My only hope is that a miracle would happen and AMD gets proper drivers out and somehow fixes low fps on certain games.
    Another game that i have a performs just like my 560ti or even slightly worse is "Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012".
    If some of you considers buying this card I would suggest to stay away from it and go with nvidia cards even though they are more expensive yet they support most of the games.
    Will wait for a year and then buy a new pc with nvidia power in it!
    Thanks for the support from guys who tried to help, much appreciated <3

12. Magzire

Magzire Registered

+1
    This should really help.

13. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

Turns out it's possible that I have bad card since many games ran slow and even slower than my 560ti, I returned the card and waiting for a replacement.

14. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

And disable V-sync. It only worsens the performance once your pc can't maintain 60fps :)

15. osella

osella Registered

Damn sounds like AMD is not only struggling with CPUs, they struggle with new GPUs too. I hope you all realize that if AMD dies it will be bad for everybody, it would cause nvidia cards to start sucking as well (no reason to develop something better).

16. whitmore

whitmore Registered

With AMD 7970 card I am able to have 60 +fps at all times all cars all tracks 20 visible cars 10 AI All settings on MAX.
    V Sync off AA level 8 HDR off Fxaa off
    CCC must not control any imaging game is best at controlling images. As soon as CCC takes control FPS massive hit.
    This Card can perform as good as Nvidia of similar spec.
    New RF2 build I have been testing (unstable build) even more slight improvement

17. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Yes I suspect you do have a faulty card. I have a 7970, I tried Lime Rock Park with 20 AI, 20 cars visible, all settings on full/maximum (except road and environment reflections off) AA level 8, v-sync off, hdr on and I get around 50fps

18. SteveGee

SteveGee Registered

I Build 342, no matter what quality/performance settings I was running...I actually gained some (5-10, depending on which settings) FPS with either Software and GPU Sync settings on running a 7970 with 3 screens. At least for me, 342's potential graphics performance is better than the previous builds.

19. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well my friend, i have given up on ATIs long time ago, and your post (sorry but its true) made me happy, because i can see that the reason why i have given up on them is still in place. There is many good reasons why nVIDIAs are so much more expensive. You dont only pay for the numbers next to words like frequency or memory. You pay for well balanced working piece of Hardware.
    go nVIDIA go!

Difference between nVIDIAs and ATIs is like difference between European and American cars

nVIDIA is full of technology and support systems, where ATIs are four wheels with massive engine that is not even built very well

20. Bart S

Bart S Member

Pah, I'm sorry whitmore but the 7970 cannot run this game as good as a GTX680 nor a GTX670 perhaps a 660, you will be shocked at the difference if you try nVidia not only in fps but smoothness and sharpness and colour, efficiency all are better on nVidia. I've had the AMD card and it is exactly that you get what you pay for. If the card matched or bettered game performance do you actually think they will charge less than nVidia? One person who will back this up is Hedlund_90 I know he has been through a few cards to end up on a GTX690.
    Sorry bud but I don't like it when people read bad information and buy on that knowledge then are left dissapointed after forking out hard earned money.