A New Beginning: Triple Screen users please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marvin Morgan, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Ok guys, there's a strong possibility that I will be coming up with a chance to pretty much do a completely new build.
    I'll still keep the three screens but I want to know what people are using to have success with a triple screen build that:

A) Maintains a FPS of at least 70 fps no matter what is happening on screen
    B) Can run with ALL the graphical goodies on and at max, while..
    C) Running at least 2X Supersampling or it's equivalent (basically NO jaggies AT ALL where possible as I know it seem so mods there seems to be nothing one can do about track lines)
    D) Come in as cost effective as possible

My current build will go to the wife most likely freeing me up to go nuts. I really don't think I want to go over $1500 if at all possible.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

What cpu do you have now? To get the kind of performance you're looking for you're going to need a serious gpu. Gtx780 I'd say. Hopefully your current cpu isn't too old.
    Post what you have in your machine now and maybe some can tell you if some parts can be reused.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  3. SteveGee

SteveGee Registered

My first advice for triple screens would to NOT run in Multiview mode. It eats up quite a few FPS right now. I gain 20+ FPS not running Multiview compared to with it on. My second would be to run NVidia, as rF2 isn't real AMD "friendly" right now. NVidia cards seems to be able to run it at higher FPS than AMD ones.

4. coops

coops Banned

1st off use NVIDIA with triple screen the more memory buffer the better so you want a 4gig card minium. i use a evga gtx 680 ftw 4 gig card, i7, 2600k, 16 gig, z77mob i also use multiview yes you lose fps but i still use it and do quite well on fps. im sure im above 70fps at silverstone. you could just go the i5 2500k save a few bucks and still kick butt. screens 23" lg led ips

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

How much u got to spend? I would get the best CPU u can other than the massively over priced ones like 3960x 4960x etc.

If going Multi GPU go for LGA2011 X79. True dual 16x PCI-E 3.0, with the third on 8x (unless you get the boards with the PLX chip then u got a sort of 16x on all 3, but the chip adds latency). Then get either 2 or 3 (so far 4 is a waste, but 3 brings good gains in general) of the very soon to come out AMD R9 290X or Nvidia GTX780 Ti.

Processor, if you want to go multiple cards then get the new I7-4820K. 10 bucks (in general) less than the 4770-K, but they trade blows in gaming, the 4770-K is a believe a hair quicker in the most part (but not in all situations) when clocked at the same amount, HOWEVER, the new Haswells, like Ivy Bridge (non-E) processors, heat up like crazy unless you de-lid them, I'm talking 85 even 95 degrees (overclocked obviously) and I'm sure 97% of people don't want to de-lid theirs.

I'm sure you'd be able to get the 4820 up to atleast the 4.65-4.8 ghz area, and much easier too with it's much MUCH lower temps. The 4770k I'd say 4.2-4.4, after that you'd need a ton of cooling.

If you play other games and have more money to burn than it's easy, 4930k, done.

If you just play race sims, and not only do you not need more than 4 cores, but don't care about hyperthreading either, than that's easy as well, 4670k.

I know ppl say you don't need LGA2011 X79 (for full 16x pci-e 3.0 lanes with multiple cards) because current cards aren't powerfull enough, yada yada, but I just hear smoother experiences overall of Multi-card users when using LGA2011 X79. And if you want triple screens absolutely maxes out at high frames with supersampling you gotta get ATLEAST 2 cards man.

6. Magus

Magus Registered

Just to say, running triples on GTX680 4GB Sli on X79, 3930K @ 4.2 & on rf2 I get better performance on a single card than Sli. With current drivers, the game just isn't optimised for Sli & (IMO) Sli/Multiview.

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I have i7 3770, GTX 660 2gb & 32GB RAM. Runs nowhere near where I want it. Get a better card than a 660.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Low AA ( no supersample )
    Lower your resolution ( add all of the hidden bezal corrected ones during setup in nvidia control panel I run at 4220x768 )
    No multiview

Track detail medium

No FXAA

Textures medium or high

Try not to use any "full" settings but high is fine in some cases

HDR on , med shadows , reflections low

Good luck

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

P.s don't bother with sli

Single card always better even if fps slightly lower

( in my tests etc )

10. GoesTo11

GoesTo11 Registered

If you don't enable multiview, your side monitors will be distorted unless your screens are straight across. That will limit the benefit that you get from triple screens. I highly recommend that you build your computer so that it will handle multiview. I can't tell you what will handle it but a 7950 doesn't handle it very well.

11. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I have the following:

Intel i5-3570K
    8GB Crucial Memory
    128GB Crucial SSD drive
    1TB Hitachi 7200 harddrive
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s MOBO
    2 - XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB (Crossfire)
    Corsair CX750M - 750W
    Triple Screen - Dell S2340M

Here's my 3DMark11 score if it helps any: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7300510

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'd definitely start with a factory OC'd gtx 780 with ACX cooling. Just one though. SLI isn't worth it IMO.

Edit Get an aftermarket cpu cooler and OC to 4+Ghz

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  13. Bart S

Bart S Member

I've pretty much got the best you can get right now and I can tell you its no where near where I want it too lol, I'm basically struggling to run 3D with full settings and sparse grid super sampling and thats on 1920 x 1080.

For the best experience I would say you need....

5960 x 1080p triple screen
    3D vision enabled
    multiview enabled
    atleast 70fps+

Unfortunatley thats not going to happen for a few generations of gfx card yet

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya but that's a specific problem with the game that I'm sure will get fixed, I can't imagine it won't.

What about in single screen? I had great gains when adding a second HD6950/6970 a year or 2 back to all rfactor 1 engined sims, almost 100% scaling, third card added a good chunk too, didnt scale like the second card though but still a good chunk especially when aiming for a consistent 120fps, also, third card added some smoothness that the 2nd card brang too.

How has your single screen experience been specifically with RFactor 2?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

15. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Ok guys it looks like a definite green light for the new system. As I mentioned before I figure about $1500 is what it's going to be for this system. Let's do some brainstorming. For now I have my Earthwatts 650 PSU I can use for the new build. I think unless I go Crossfire/SLI I can use that for the time being. That being said that's about all (besides the triple screens) that I'll be using from the old system. If I ever do SLI/Crosssfire then I'll just buy a new PSU like I did a few weeks ago.