KNOWN FPS Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Dalton Lee Aquilina, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Dalton Lee Aquilina

Dalton Lee Aquilina Registered

Hi guys,

As the title says basically, I'm suddenly getting very low fps for some reason. From the moment I bought the game over a year ago until about a month ago, the game ran constantly at 90-110fps and rarely went below 90. Maximum settings, 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

Yesterday after about a month I decided to try Loch Drummond and noticed that my FPS is constantly at 40, sometimes it even goes down to 25 when there's tire smoke. It very very rarely goes over 40 fps.

I can't understand why I'm getting such low FPS suddenly. I tried many different track/car combos. MP4-12C GT3/Spa/Loch Drummond/Top Gear Test Track, V8 UTE/Loch Drummond, Howston/Brianza 1966.

My specs are i7-2600K @3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX680 2GB.

Thanks,

Dalton

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Are you using the latest public build (300)?

3. Dalton Lee Aquilina

Yes, Build 300.

I've now updated to build 302 and still no luck. I've also set the priority in task manager to above normal but it remains the same. I can't seem to understand why it's doing this, especially since I played flawlessly at over 100fps until a few months ago

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It has to be a background program, the only other cause could be a hardware malfunction. Maybe CPU overheating. Video card fan going?

5. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Just to add some more information.

I run 2 x 670GTX's in SLI for rF2.

The comparisons I give below are like for like settings wise between the different builds and I pretty much max settings on a 1080P single display with an i5-2500k ande 16gb ram. This is with the same video driver installed - I have tried other drivers and apart from small variations it's similar, and that's only on build 342.

Build 240 - Averaged between 110 and 130 fps in single player, 45fps in moddev.
    Build 300 - Averaged between 30 and 40fps in single player, 35fps in moddev.
    Build 342 - Average 30 to 40fps in single player, 35 in moddev.

Obviously I cannot explain why but it is frustrating, having something as capable being reduced to such figures in rF2. It's not a smooth 30fps either.

I was hoping one day my moddev would be in the 100fps+ range not the other way round lol

This is definitely an issue beyond 'background' stuff, I am sure most here are savvy enough to keep their own house in order games systems wise.

Seemed to me that SLI scaling was either 'on' or working in build240, running a single card offers better performance right now, but not much better I might add.

6. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

7. 88mphTim

Thanks for updating and giving us info on what helped.

8. Dalton Lee Aquilina

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with this issue, I'll give those settings a go, Thanks!

9. Dalton Lee Aquilina

Update : 105-140 FPS with those settings, thanks a million Liquid, although it is a shame and strange that I can't use 8XAA (Until it's optimised possibly) it's great to get 100+fps constantly :)

10. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Due to limited cpu performance I've constantly suffered fps issues, running avg 25-30fps.
    I've just followed the instructions on the link you suggest.
    Well, at first thing's didn't improve at all. Went to the track and had 20-25fps.
    Then did the following, just to try:
    -At game, set sync to None.
    -At game, changed AA from Level 4 to Level 2
    -At inspector, changed AA-Transparency Supersampling to "2x Supersampling"

Went back to the same track and...... Surprise, a boost from 20-25fps to 55-60fps
    My life has just been changed :)

11. mac22

mac22 Registered

gorgias
    just came across this thread and I have been having the same nightmare on fps as you (running a i7 OC'd to 4.7 and 580gtx - I am not running SLI) - the latest build seems to have messed up my frame rates going from 70-80 down to around 30 depending on track - I have also started playing around with AA settings - using NVidia control panel and disabling it in game to get a better effect - just wondering if you can give me some advice (note I am not using inspector but the standard control panel) on the key things I can change to try and improve this (might even start using inspector if you think it might help?) Note - have tried a reinstall (it helped a bit) and also tuning the in game graphic settings (strangely these has very limited impact on my fps! - they seem stuck around 30's immaterial what I change)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

So after trying to run rF2 with some AI I noticed my FPS was staying at least on very high 30s but usually not dipping below 40 FPS (running 29 AI DTM v1.5 at Loch Drummond, NoAutoexposure HDR), however the frames were not smooth. I tried out other tracks and noticed it's the same elsewhere. The FPS supposedly remain high enough to prevent me from not seeing the game run smoothly yet it feels like there's some running stutter. Any possible help?

13. mac22

mac22 Registered

Gui - actually this is exactly the same issue I think I am having (see my earlier post) - game seems to have a reasonable high frame rate now - but something doesn't feel right almost like there is some stutter happening?!? - hope ISI will look into this as up till a few weeks ago my RF2 was running great! with very high fps.....

14. 88mphTim

Stuttering usually down to bottlenecking or CPU. How are you syncing?

15. mac22

mac22 Registered

actually v sync is off both in game and on my NVidia control panel (used to have it on in game (on software) when I had fps that was 60+) but nop with the low fps took it off completely.

I don't think its a CPU issue as I am running a i7@4.7 oc'd - which is generally more than enough for most games.......unless I am running it inadvertently with some option on that might be causing a bottleneck - think it must be on the NVidia control panel if it is as I initially reinstalled and ran with default in game settings and still had the problem - the weird thing is even if I drop the detail down the improvements I get are not that big (ranging from around 30-40fps)

16. mac22

mac22 Registered

UPDATE:
    Seems a lot of my issues have strangely been caused by my selection of AA in game!
    Simply changed the AA in game from 8 to 4 and my FPS went from around mid 25 to mid 45/50 when I was playing on Loch Drummond - and there is no real significant noticeable change in the visuals by making this change!?!
    Now that I have got the game a bit more playable have a couple more questions
    1)Noting my 40-50 fps I get on average now is there any point in enabling V sync? (I do play the game with track IR)
    2)In game if you select V sync - what is the best one to use GPU/Software/Video - what is the difference between them?