"Are you sure?" When leaving server

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by lemming77, Oct 20, 2013.

1. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Just a confirmation which says "Are you sure?" when you click 'Leave Track' from a server, because there isn't one. And you can't always get back on a server when you click by accident, which can be a disappointing end to a race before it's even begun. :(

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

As annoying those messages are, it would serve a function indeed with rf2. too often you move quickly through the menu's, especially when rushing before race start and the somewhat unintuitive nature of the UI easily confuses.

That or move the exit button elsewhere where its not in line of sight with other items.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

5. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Nice idea, either that or a dedicated leave server button rather than it sharing the back button. Not that I have ever made this mistake...Yeah...Right ;)

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

+1. The are you sure question makes sense when the consequence of an accidental error is annoying, irreversible or time consuming. Right now it is used when it shouldn't just to leave the game from offline or online.

I would propose as well that the "back" buttons from the internal screen menus where located somewhere else from where the "leave track" or "exit" game buttons appear right after clicking "back" are to prevent double click errors.

This would be a kind of poka yoke type of design.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

8. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

In your .plr file, find this line:
    Exit Confirmation="1" // 0=none, 1=race only, 2=always

As far as I know, it does what you want.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not for me Butch. it just gives a window in singleplayer when leaving track asking whether to pause/replay/exit, online it remains the same.

It can of course be set by a server but that's too random imo.

10. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Okay, thanks for letting me know.
    The example I posted is from my .plr, but I have never tried leaving during a race so I didn't realise it doesn't work for online play. Since it is set for Race Only, I wouldn't be expecting to see it if leaving a practice or qualy session.

So yeah, you have my +1 for the addition :)

11. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I can't think of a time i've ever accidently left a server, i'd rather not have this forced on us, as long as it is configurable the same as it is for single player then it's all good. (the BACK button is actually staggered from the LEAVE button, so if you're clicking LEAVE after you go BACK you're moving the mouse over to the corner and not really thinking about it, but it's easy done by some I guess) The LEAVE button could also be made smaller, or even make us drag a slider or something, anything but another forced confirm button, which leads me to...

...having to confirm when I click EXIT in the main lobby of single/multiplayer. Has anyone accidently clicked EXIT before?! Even still it takes seconds to start up again, a lot less cost for a misplaced click than if you leave a server and potentially lose setup, received setups, precious qualifying time etc.

EXIT is small and right down in the corner, it would be nice to have one click close like an internet browser and have a separate button to view the credits, instead of having them forced on us every time we want to exit. Having an extra button might mean people actually sit through the credits at some point! Instead of confirming as quick as possible to shut down. I don't think it's a good time to catch people to have a look when they're leaving :p Most of us probably only ever see the top part before it gets to scroll down.
    Useful information could be added into the credits, like contact links for Tim, Twitter, the forum etc. as well as what the people named specifically do. It would make the credits more useful and help integrate those of the community that don't want to hang about here.

Even moving the confirm button to the opposite side was a bad move, to be like windows was something like the reason given at the time, it's a little bit further to move the mouse and overall, the do you really want to leave thing in any program does my head in unless it's necessary as protection against a user mistake that can be easily made. If the confirm to close stays it should really be put directly over the EXIT button so that you can double click on it at least. Saves a small amount of time but it all adds up over a long period of time.
    These things should be as simple and straight forward as possible.

As an aside, there will be plenty of users that would benefit from being more connected to the world of RF2 through the program itself, especially in the launcher with news feed etc. as they just want to drive and not trawl forums for information. But this has been suggested before and I hope will be implemented so that at some point people will be able to buy, install and run without all the messing about, frustration etc. thanks to a more integrated user friendly experience. The rabbit hole will always be deep with a sim like this, but making it more accessible e.g. the ability to modify configs more extensively from in game and have the information presented then and there as to what does what would be great. As it is just now is very limited.

It's coming to the point we should have a user manual so that someone new to the sim could pick it up and read it and be on their way with most of the knowledge that takes the average user quite some time to accumulate in the current environment.
    All the information is out there somewhere, it just needs someone to collate it all. At the very least the sticky FAQ thread should include one of the most important aspects of setting up the sim so that the user can enjoy it:
    Making it feel the best it can with their hardware/software settings(fps(input lag), fov, ffb, visual settings etc.). This would likely help many more convert to a purchase from driving the demo. Most complaints about the sim derive from this area I believe(hopefully the graphics hate will start to subside now and people should understand the performace issues that arise from the privilege of great complexity!) and cause a greater gulf in laptimes than the varying skill levels should. (Maybe this subject alone should have it's own sticky thread?)

Not many users will have anything like their optimum settings 'out of the box' and not all will be prepared to battle through to the point where they don't want to slate the sim for one thing or another when really they just haven't hit their sweet spot or even gotten close to it, usually from a lack of understanding. There are indeed a lot of settings to tweak and it can all be very confusing which direction to go in. Understanding is the first step to acceptance.

Anyway sorry for running off topic, but the devil is in the detail. I'd like a more streamlined experience for the benefit of the community as a whole. More users and a more positive feeling of the RF2 experience will be the result, this will help stop and reverse the rot from the momentum that negativity generates so easily. It's not for everyone, but it's for many more people than currently realise it, especially since we seem to be approaching the fields of gold :cool:

There has always been a really bright light at the end of the tunnel, it's now time to shine! :cool:

12. Pedro Martins

Pedro Martins Registered

I came here exactly asking for this. It's really frustating when just before race start, when I'll go check the race settings and then I used the exit button... a confirmation box would be excellent..

13. skovby

skovby Registered

We definitely need a confirm - or place the exit button far away from all other buttons. Maybe in the top right corner as in rF1.

14. Rinussie

Rinussie Registered

I had several unwanted leavings from servers all ready.

put the leave button somewhere else or put in a confirmation ? Please

15. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Really? Really ? are you really really sure?
    Never have I ever... look before you click peoples. Kinda reminds me of when one is installing software and just keep clicking "next" without reading what one is clicking.

16. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Reminds me of Gran Turismo, in which you have to click about nine times to install a muffler.

This is a sports muffler.
    Yes.
    Do you want to purchase the sports muffler?
    Yes.
    Are you sure you want to purchase the sports muffler?
    Yes.
    You have purchased the sports muffler.
    Yes.
    Do you want to install the sports muffler?
    Yes.
    Are you sure you want to install the sports muffler?
    Yes.
    You have installed the sports muffler.
    Yes.
    Go back to menu?
    Yes.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Kinda ignoring the issue with that imo. its not about accidently being stupid or not focussing enough, its about the UI being unintuitive.

Good ui's you flash through without even thinking, muscle memory after a while, instant quickness etc. something that is there to support our path onto the track. that is all it needs to do.

Less intuitive UI's wont ever get to that point, peeps need to 'think' their way through items and it gets annoying. especially when you know it could be so much better.

I don't want to look before I click, I want to click without looking.

18. Davvid

Davvid Registered

+1
    Loading track is really long in rF2 and it's quite easy to clik "exit/leave"

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

For sure loading track takes usually more than rf2 to launch from the launcher. Still the "are you sure?" will be asked in the second case since for IT people the main event is exiting their software. When you do that they feel offended because you stop using their software so they need to be sure of it by double checking. Exiting the server or offline keeps you within the game so that's Ok with them. When was the last time IT people cared about users time? One knows...

enviado mediante tapatalk

20. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Its too easy to exit an online server, and too hard to exit the matchmaker lobby.