Controllers Lockup until track Reload

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by ZeosPantera, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I set the Data Directory for use in this version to the public Data folder so that I could use all the cars and tracks and settings without reconfiguring. Everything worked fine until I set off in the new Nordschlief. I set off in a new car and reset to raise the Car specific FFB multiplier. After I hit race all my controls--> G27 wheel, Leo Bodnar powered Shifter and Fanatec CSR pedals, all of them simply did not respond. When I went back to the controls menu it looked like this...

[​IMG]

You can note that the MIN values set on the axis' are not my settings. But this is how it looks until you reload the whole track from the main menu.

It only happened on the one track and car but each time the same. I will do more in-depth research into this tomorrow.

2. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Have the same problem with G25 with the pedals though a Bodnar cable . If I go into any menu the controls become locked , only way I can race is to get every thing set up as wanted then exit the game and restart then go straight to track without opening any menus .Was trying the Clio's at Lime rock .

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Glad I am not alone.

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This is not a new thing, already reported this in build 300 several times (at least 3 threads on this subject). I have T500RS and TH8RS shifter.

I know that I lost connection to my wheel when I suddenly get strong center spring.

I think it's mostly related to WIN 8 OS (something USB ports related), but might have something to do with rf2 also. Atm I have this problem only offline (mainly when exiting a session, restarting helps always but sometimes just reloading a track helps also).

5. Magus

Magus Registered

I'm getting this problem of losing the controller every time I exit a race and go to the menu to change track&/or car. In fact just going back to the main menu straight after a race I'm seeing a similar controller screen. I can only restart the game every time I want to change car or track. However this is NOT new. THIS THREAD highlights the problem & being a Fanatec user Terrence's suggestion no longer works for me. However, I believe this is down to W8.1 than the unstable build as the same thing is happening in Build 300. very annoying as I was only getting this issue occasionally but now happens each & every time without fail. My next step is a complete reinstall of both versions of rf2, if it still happens, then I need to consider returning to W7.

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

yea, I didn't meant it's perhaps build 339 problem but rf2 problem... I also have it in build 300. And I don't have WIN 8.1 but basic WIN 8 64bit and the same problem exists.

I have reinstalled rf2 several times and also my wheel drivers but this didn't help. So I doubt that helps you either. Better go back to WIN 7 if you want this problem gone asap.

7. Magus

Magus Registered

HI TIG, yeah just did some more testing & my findings are in THIS THREAD .

Basically it seems to be the unstable build causing this problem. Even though I do get it on Build 300, not each and every time I go to the main menu. Whether this has something to do with what the OP has stated here, I can't say, but I can confirm that (for me) it is build related (& possibly Windows 8/8.1 related).

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

The pattern in build 339 is this after my test: I load a track, enter the settings in garage and after that hit the race-->disconnection (strong center spring, wheel doesn't react). If I don't go to "settings" at any point then it works fine. You can go to "settings" in main menu, it doesn't disconnect the wheel. Other thing that disconnects the wheel is when exiting a session to main menu (almost 100% of the time).

In build 300 I only had disconnection only when I exited the session (maybe 60% of the time). So it's a lot worse in build 339.

Because there is a difference between the builds I can say that this is rf2 problem. Maybe also WIN 8 but not solely.

9. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Just disconnected my wheel and pedals then used a Xbox 360 controller , same problem but seems to only happen when going back to main menu so not as bad as with a wheel and pedals .
    Using Win 8.1

Trying to reload controller when in settings at track doesn't work but going back to main - settings I can reload and get it working again .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I would like to know if there is someone who isn't experiencing this with WIN 8/build 300 or build 339 combination?

11. Kev

Kev Registered

Did any of you guys try to experiment with controller.ini settings? Automatic steering range setting, reinitialization, etc...

12. Magus

Magus Registered

I've tried creating a new controller profile to prevent the loss. Once lost, I tried, 'detect controller' only to be given the message 'no controller detected'.

13. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Just a note, we're making another build this week and this should be fixed. We actually seemed to have it fixed in 336 (internal-only build) and after some code cleanup we broke it again (rookie mistake: never clean up code that works!). Due to the sporadic nature, I misidentified what part was breaking.

By the way, I'm now close to 90% sure that this is simply a Win8 problem, what we're doing is basically a workaround. Unfortunately, you won't have the ability to plug in or pull out controllers after starting rF2 under Windows 8. It was a handy feature, but re-initializing is apparently a no-no on Win8. A simple DirectInput call to enumerate attached devices tends to return the wrong number if you do it more than once. In at least one case that I have a trace file for, it returned the wrong number of controllers the very first time! Without going to your house and counting them myself, it seems difficult to detect this as an error.

14. evphelps

evphelps Registered

This is MOST DEFINITELY a M$ WIN 8/8.1 mess for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just reinstalled because of this (clean install of 8.1,ssd wiped and repartitioned!!) and windows still recognises my fanatec csw/csp without being setup/installed.
    M$ are seriously taking the piss now,they are clearly storing more than just your ID and and login and are maintaining h/w settings as well as pc spec!
    Win 8* usb issues are like a rash all over many forums and so far no solution appears to be working...
    Meanwhile I have a several thousand pounds worth of high tech junk that used to be pretty frakkin' awesome just sitting waiting for a solution to a problem that didn't exist 2 weeks ago...

15. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Nice to see that this is getting the attention it deserves. Workaround sounds promising.

I miss WIN 7 :(

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I installed WIN 8.1 and tried if the problem is still there: no disconnection when visiting "settings" in garage and then "race" or when going back to main menu after loading a track.

Wouldn't get my hopes too high yet. But the WIN 8 update seemed to help to some extend at least.