Adjustable High Luminance Sun?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Some1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Some1

Some1 Registered

Hey! There is this "High Luminance Sun" shader that most cars use for headlights and such.

In the shader description in 3DS Max, it says "Adjustable high luminance sun".

How and where can one adjust it?

2. Some1

Some1 Registered

Anybody?

3. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

+1, somebody from ISI please take some minutes and maybe explain us more about some shaders and so on?

4. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, please, give us some Information about how the Shader can be adjusted. :)
    That would help a lot!
    I've tried to adjust the Shader but with no success.
    At Daytime it looks too dark and at Night a bit too shiny (Screenshots).
    I would like to adjust it in a way that it looks good and is well visible at Day AND Night.

[​IMG]

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The brightness is controlled by the alpha channel of the glow texture. Brighter alpha means brighter light glow. It's very sensitive and you can operate in the dark rgb spectrum most of the time. There is not much difference between rgb 180.180.180 and 255.255.255, but you can create a very dim light glow with rgb 1.1.1 (no difference to rbg 0.0.0 on a monitor, so I use the color picker often).
    RGB 70.70.70 is ok for taillight, but you have to make sure that the diffuse texture (...glow01.dds) has a good brightness.

6. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

If you're still talking about high lum sun, I dont think that's true based on the actual pixel shader code, which was some test hack that was left in the coreshaders:

Code:
    struct PS_INPUT
    {
      float4 Color : COLOR0;
      float2 Tex0 : TEXCOORD0;
    };
    sampler2D sTex0 : register (s0);

float4 ps30_noShadeUserLumT0 (PS_INPUT Input) : COLOR0
    {
      float4 tex0 = tex2D (sTex0, Input.Tex0.xy);
      return (tex0 * float4(95, 85, 100, 1));
    }
    Just make your own version (call it something else) with vs, ps and gfx file, change the values, and include it in your mod.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

@Tosch: Thank you for the Suggestions, but i played around with everything and didn't get a usable Result.

@Joe Campana: Thank you for your Advice! Althoug i'm not sure if i'm able to do it, i will try it and report here if i fail. :)

8. redapg

redapg Registered

Here is the report.

I could manage to get a better looking Glow at Night, by changing these Values.
    float4(95, 85, 100, 1)
    The first 3 for the Color and the last seems to be a multiplier.

But what still stays the same, is that i can't get it looking good at Night AND Daylight.

If i get it good looking at Night, it is almost invisible at Daytime and if it looks good and is good visible at Daytime, it's much too "shiny" at Night.
    Seems as if something hardcoded influences the different look between Night and Day.

I'm pretty sure that i've changed/played around with all entries inside the PSH and VSH files, but that didn't change anything.