Really mad at iRacing right now, please empathize with me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mattlambertson, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Radar

Radar Registered

An earlier quote from
    I was quoting POS as Piece Of Sh!t as some iRacing people call it..

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'd take car vehicle dynamics over track accuracy any day. Unless you're going to that very same track the next day or something in real life, than the accuracy to that level of detail, is irrelevant, a beautiful bonus of course, but really over-rated. Plus, how accurate is it to real life just because they say its accurate? Also, how much has it changed. Etc. etc. etc.

It's the same with very, very good fantasy tracks (in my opinion RFactor 1 fantasy tracks are some of the best in any racing game, PERIOD). Some people under-rate, even completely ignore/dismiss, a fantasy track just because it doesnt exist in the real world. How do you know that that track doesnt or couldnt possibly exist somewhere on Earth? If you were to find out that that track does exist somewhere on Earth, now you would just all of a sudden like the track??? If I lied and said it was a real track, and you loved it, and you then found out it actually wasn't a real track would you all of a sudden hate the track? Would the layout, the kerbs, bumps, the driving experience, etc. change just because someone told you it actually isn't a real track (or vice-versa?)?. Same sort of idea with laser scanning vs non-laser scanned (as long as the non laser scanned track is modelled with high fidelity with regards to the undualtions, bumps, ripples, cambers, etc. which in your defense is extremely lacking).

Play around with the visual settings, yaw, pitch, roll, head movement, world movement, vibration, etc etc this greatly affects everyone differently with regards to reading what the car is doing, the grip, etc etc. One of those things (like FFB) that can greatly affect how you percieve the pure physics/handling.

One of the issues is the sounds, they sound too weak/thin/simple/digital/feable at part throttle. I see guys going around corners at 6800 rpm when their redline is 7000 and they then touch the gas and get instant power and spin. The sounds just don't give you that feeling that you are at off or part-load throttle at a wayyyy too high rpm. ALso, the weak sounds at off/parth-throttle rpm give people the impression that they are not applying too much throttle/power and that makes them feel like they arent giving it much throttle so they apply more and more and next thing you know...SPIN. I find this to be the case with almost all cars, its a sound engine thing in general, has nothing to do with how great your .MP3 or .WAV engine sound file is. Then again, the sound engine is probably the least developed part of the game. It's only very, very slight updates from generation to generation going back to Sports Car GT from the late 90's. However in ISI's defence, sound has been the least developed/progressed area in the entire overall videogame industry.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  3. tHenOrthfAce

tHenOrthfAce Registered

Recently i read on another forum that Catalyst 12.11 beta and Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 give the best performance for AMD and rF2. The guys over there where running 7950s. Maybe it helps on your end aswell. Personally i switched to a used gtx 680 (quite cheap nowadays) with rf2 in mind and now it shines in all its glory, btw iam on an ancient i5 750 running at a mild 3.8 GHz so your 2500k should be more than suited for the task.

4. GoesTo11

GoesTo11 Registered

Do you have a link to that discussion?

5. GoesTo11

GoesTo11 Registered

Do you have a link to that discussion?

6. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

I'm going to try those drivers because the graphical anomalies and lack of FPS are dampening my enthusiasm to play frequently...

7. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Matt did you see the other ovals available? Not sure if you have since you were only running Joesville.

Texas World Speedway has been released, version 1.0

There's also WIP Indianapolis and Nazareth to download.

8. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

Welcome to rF2!

I don't post much, but I've been driving ISI sims since Sports Car GT and was an early adopter of both rF1 and rF2. A while ago I tried iRacing just because everyone was so crazy excited about it. I even had the opportunity to drive it in a high tech simulator with load cell brakes and state of the art wheel at a sports car event.

Maybe it's because I understand how to set up the ISI engine for best feel and response, but I was really disappointed in the iRacing engine and their tracks. It seemed like a 10-year-old sim where all the money had been poured into content and not simulation. Yeah, the default ISI settings for FFB and graphics are not optimal, but with a little work you can leave iRacing in the dust.

I don't regret for a moment purchasing the series of sims that has resulted in rF2. Altogether I've probably spent $300 in software and the same amount for computer and sim hardware that I would have for any racing game, which has given me about 15 years of fun so far. And I can race online, offline, develop my own content, change stuff to experiment, or use league packages - whatever suits me.

Incidentally, I loaded up GPL a few weeks ago just to see how it plays on a modern PC with modern hardware. It felt exactly the way it did in 1998 with a high-end machine: great for the time, dated by today's standards. If only they'd followed GPL with GPL2 or a series of improved sim engines like ISI has, there might be a worthy competitor for rF2 today...

9. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Well Matt, I'd like to say welcome to rFactor 2!

I definitely have had gripes with the iRacing service as well. Not only with their protest system, but also with the quality of competition...

Protesting: I was once running a hosted race, with the modifieds, and one guy was driving like a maniac. He was driving fast, but very stupidly (Kyle Busch comes to mind). I keep on asking him to be careful because he kept chopping me, blocking me, etc. I then pass him with ten to go and finish ahead of him. When I was coming to a stop, next thing I know, I'm flying over the tire barrier and flipping over and over. I check the replay, and see that the guy had slammed into the rear of me! I ask him about why he did that. His response: "For being a whiny little b****!!!" Well, I took a screenshot and saved the replay, and sent a protest (back when the protests were very difficult to send out.)

Two days later, I get an email from iRacing: I had been served a notice for using unsportsmanlike language! I know for a fact that I did not use unsportsmanlike language. I made no implications that I was going to protest (which could be perceived as threatening), I know the last time I said a foul word was quoting something my sister's drunk boyfriend said on June 7th. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated, but I knew they had nothing on me, so I shook it off and continued racing.

Competition: I feel like one of the things iRacing nails is the track accuracy. However, the car's realism and racing leaves something to be desired. I'm a fairly decent driver, I usually get top fives in the fixed series, but I feel like there are some descrepancies between real physics and iRacing's. I feel like some drivers have become masters at exploiting these descrepancies (we know these people as "aliens"). I just feel like sometimes I've gotten second place many times because of one of those drivers that drives absurdly fast, but maybe it's just that I may have too much concern because I don't want to get slammed by iRacing's draconian incident point system as well.

I've had many races where I'm just taken out by some guy never presses the brake pedal, and refuses to apologize as well.

I feel like once rF2 gets more solid, I will go exclusively here, maybe settle and find a league.

I feel rF2 has more of the thrill of driving a real race car, and if they can get the experience of RACING down as well, we'll be golden ;)

Also I think it'll be nice getting the DW12 on rFactor 2 before iRacing. In fact, I find a lot of the cars on rF2, and rF1 are more "desirable" than the one's on iRacing. I'd rather drive a FR3.5 than a Star Mazda at times, I can't wait until someone brings a quality F3 mod to the table :) IndyCar will be a blast (especially if someone nails Sonoma *hint hint*)

I think rFactor 2 may well revolutionize sim racing as we know it, and I am happy to say I'll be a part of it when it happens!

10. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

Yes I agree with pretty much everything you guys said in the last couple of posts.

But wow, I didn't realize those recommended drivers were almost a year old. Seemed to improve FPS a little but I still feel like there is tons of input lag so not really worth running such old drivers that already messed up another program I use. I'm going to try the very latest ATI drivers now.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

12. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Come check out Race2play if your looking for some brotherin to race with. We won't put you on a cross because your fast either.

If anything us members there welcome it. If you can't beat them, learn from them.