mouse steering.. request!!

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by HellzWind, Oct 16, 2013.

1. HellzWind

HellzWind Registered

to the DEVS! :p

Hi. I'm looking for a online simulation racer for the pc. I am currently using simraceway, and have experience with different products on the pc simulation wise, that offer mouse steering. Games like GTR (2), Race 07, LFS and everything in between. I find myself to be competitive and am willing to pay some money to enjoy a quality product.

I've been scouting around, and have figured out that I'm quite impressed with rFactor2. What it has to offer are features that are scarce as far as quality goes compared to other online racing games but one thing rFactor lacks IMHO is mouse steering and I'm in this asking for this feature to be enabled sometimes in a near future release preferably say for instance that model found in GTR2. The steering in that game was superb (all it had as an 'extra' was to be able to shift with the mousewheel) and rFactor (2) being a game I'd love to dig into my preferred choice of control would be keyboard and mouse. So if someone might have their ears and eyes open, you'll understand the 'need' for this feature.

Myself , and probably other people sake.

Thank you!

2. shabo

shabo Registered

"Myself and probably other peoples sake" doubtful. Most if not everyone that is serious about simulating racing actually uses a wheel just like a real car. In all the years that I've Watched these forums you r the first to have such a request. Iracing might have what u are wanting. Or try out a mouse to input program that would work in any game. Good luck. I for one wouldnt want to race next to someone using a mouse unless if course you are safe.

3. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I have a suggestion, stop playing rFactor at work, get it into your home PC and get your self a steering wheel (when you are so willing to spend some money on it)

:)

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I knew from quite some people driving with a gamepad but first time to hear about driving with the mouse. Get a nice wheel and enjoy simulation.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well that's the thing isn't it? Raced against a couple of keyboarders in public rooms in rF1 that were safer than a lot of the guys using wheels.

This is a wish list - if someone wishes to use a mouse, it doesn't seem a huge step to maybe make it an option in future (the mouse isn't doing anything else while in the car anyway), and I don't see why everyone else should jump in and say why they wouldn't do it. It's not about what people control their car with, it's about how they control their car...

6. shabo

shabo Registered

alright ill try and help other than pointing you the right direction even more

PPJoy, MouseJoystick, vjoystick all come to mind, plus there is always google. A cheap PS2/3 gamepad type device might work well for you as well, something that isn't just a full on or full off.

Also here something that worked for the old rfactor:

In order to use the mouse for steering in RFACTOR , here is a guide ;
    (tested on WinXP 32bit Pro En)

1 - Create a standard game port .
    Go to Control Panel->Add Hardware->Add a new hardware device->Advanced->Sound,Video and Game Controllers->Standard Systems Devices->Standard Game Port .
    You can verify that the port has been created by checking the device manager .

2 - Install mouse joystick drivers .
    Download jmouse.msi http://rapidshare.com/files/74498631/jmouse.msi
    LINK WORKED
    Install and restart the pc .

3 - Configure mouse joystick .
    Go to Start->Programs->Mouse Joystick->Mouse Joystick Properties and set the axis and buttons you wish your joystick to have .
    Button1=Left mouse button
    Button2=Right mouse button
    Button3=Center mouse button
    I recommend not using button1 because it may cause problems when clicking on games' menus etc.
    I also suggest leaving axis scales at their defaults .

4 - Add Game Controller .
    Go to Control Panel->Game Controllers->Add->Mouse Joystick .
    (-If you get an error message and you can't add it , go to device manager->game controllers->standard game port->properties->resources and change manually the configuration to a next one.This may happen because of conflicts.You can verify that no conflicts exist when no '!' symbol is next to the game port in device manager.When the port has no conflicts , try again to add the joystick ) .

5 - Calibrate Mouse Joystick .
    Go to Control Panel->Game Controllers->Mouse Joystick->Properties->Settings->Calibrate and follow the instructions .
    Make sure you move the mouse at the whole presented box area in order for the axis to work properly .
    ONLY after you see that the crosshair is moving along with the mouse movements , the joystick is ready for use .

6 - Mapping buttons and axis to the game .
    The last step is to map the mouse joystick axis and buttons to the game's controls .
    Go to controlls and do as you would with a steering wheel .

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I've seen this request before, not much, but it happens.
    what I don't understand is people disregarding a wish and just telling them to use a wheel. as if someone would not have come up with that on his own.

Kudo's for Shabo then :)

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am all for mouse steering. There are modders and plugin devs out here who could benefit from this. There are lots of people that develop stuff for rF1/2 that are on a development machines which don't have a gamepad or wheel available and keyboard driving is very difficult.

LFS and iRacing both have mouse support. I know iRacing got a bunch of crap for adding it. Some people totally miss the reasoning behind adding mouse support.

9. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Maybe is not the ideal for simulation, but can be helpfull to people who cant use a wheel because different reasons (ie. some disability)

10. RJames

RJames Registered

PP-Joy i think is your best bet for the time being as someone mentioned above, before we enabled Mouse steering at Simraceway most mouse users used PP-Joy.

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I don't think you understand the meaning of "Wish List".

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The same for you with "forum"
    Apart from ISI's opinion which is the most important for putting a wish in the "to do list" I guess that other people are free to give their opinion about the wish since it might be helpful for ISI to decide the convenience and priority of each wish. I myself have posted several wishes and I would prefer that ISI fulfilled my wishes rather than this for example. And if I think that the best advice I can provide is to recommend a wheel why shouldn't I?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

13. HellzWind

HellzWind Registered

Just a quick reply....

I'm glad I sparked a discussion, I really am! This is important IMHO, to get something done rather then just hate on it tho but okay. I've installed the DEMO and think that how great RfActor2 might be it's not my thing.... There is certain throttle lag with keyboard I´ve noticed which makes the car incredibly hard to handle in corners (also considering there is only a keyboard steering option). Simraceway did a really neat job with their implementation of the computer control system.

To the guy said something about taking this seriously and buying a wheel, if I took car racing (fully) serious then I'd be a driver by now... wouldn't be messing around with fantasy or 'simulations' in that case but since this is not the case I will be sticking to (PC) games thank you! just because they are that... games... Fantasy you know....

Lazaa, Noel Hibbard Denstjiro and realkman666 thank you for noticing and understanding this view, my view. Is important!

again, shabo thank you for explaining this PPjoY stuff, it´s too comprehensive for my taste lol... again it´s a PC game, this kind of things should be already implemented. Please adjust your mindset towards other gamers you have little or no respect and understanding.

pay2021, disability might be an issue with some people (there is another point you enlightened) but I assure you that this is not the case with me! It has to do with ease of use tho... (for me at least). A wheel I find cumbersome , like a joystick or other lame arcade computer hardware.... If I want to race for real I´ll go to a track... I would like to think that I do not lack in certain experience....

Thank you for your understanding and reply guys. I'll keep my eyes open to the developments in the industry.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

fwiw Hellz, in your situation I would seriously consider a gamepad. as easy to use but much more control, even analogue control for throttle, steering and braking. its cheap and can work very well, I've seen some really fast and stable gamepad users.
    if you happen to own a 360 I think its even as simple as getting a cable for the pad to start using it with the pc.

But then again, rf2 is much harder and challenging then the other (older) sims, so don't be expecting the same results. Most , if not all, drivers in rf2 had to drop their previous ways of driving and had to re-learn with rf2. its just a massive difference so i'm not surprised your keyboard driving from other sims does not port over to rf2. our wheel-driving from other sims did not port over either :)