Third Party Mod Database

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by 88mphTim, Oct 10, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Can't do that. we essentially (like the forum is) need to be a links database.

2. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

Could you host .torrent files? Like I said - i'm willing to seed with two machines / connections. I pretty much have utorrent running at both locations all the time anyways.

In case you aren't aware - .torrent files just being extremely tiny pointer that identifies data bits that are available in the torrent cloud.

3. Galaga

Galaga Banned

@ Tim

OK. Thanks. FWIW, it would be great to be able to pull out sounds in the future if possible. Thanks, again.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sorry apologies quite toasted (watching Engand win the footer!), talent files and that will not have to be packaged then as it currently is?

5. 88mphTim

No, they won't. They CAN be, but don't have to be.

6. 88mphTim

FYI I added a list of latest ISI downloads by date to the top of the forum. I'm trying to figure out how I can pull the latest modder uploads to the database.

7. moev

moev Registered

8. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Very nice addition to the forums Tim, nice to see the downloads can be edited too. As I run the same boards I am aware of this system so I'll be sure to post the IFS3 and Group C mods here when we release their updates soon, it will make it easier for ISI members to get them here.

What I would note to members is that if you get a .MAN file, you need to rename it to .rfcmp or .zip or .rar, whatever the file is originally packed as. Some browsers and download clients have issues with downloading from vB Downloads and turn them into .MAN files. Just rename and your good to go. We had this issue on our boards so just a note for people to remember here.

I'd suggest file posters to write in the description what the original file extension is so people know what to rename the .MAN to if it happens to them.

9. 88mphTim

That's weird. Does the host of your forum have the MIME options setup badly? Or your forum?

I'm possibly going to change the script I am using to a better supported one. Would have the same features, just allow me to work with it easier.

10. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

To my knowledge its not set up badly but I can't 100% guarantee that either. You mentioning it I'll have to check it out. But it has been an issue with our forums. Doesn't happen with all clients. I know some versions of IE do it but not all, and Chrome nearly always has issues but that's not surprising because Chrome has issues even processing .rar files at times, it mostly likes .zip files. But I generally put in the description a note to rename the extension to whatever the original is. Though also I post direct to the rfcmp, I don't zip or rar them and rfcmp for a downloader is not an understandable file which is why it downloads as .MAN.

11. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Hey Tim, any chance we can get a Prototypes category in the downloads section? Would be good for us to add our Group C mod there. Cheers mate.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that's great thanks ISI/Tim for implementing this, took long enough but we got there eventually :)

13. 88mphTim

I changed the script being used and simplified the categories. It's not possible to search downloads by the title and description, so splitting down the categories shouldn't be needed too much anymore.

You can upload an image, and use the first upload as the thumbnail in the listing. Come on guys, fill this thing up...

14. 88mphTim

The header now lists the latest upload.

Question... I can order them by the date they were FIRST uploaded (as they are now), or the last time they were UPDATED (which is why in the order they are now, you see their updated date), or the most downloaded at the top... Any preference? If you took how ISI is listing content, it's done by last UPDATED.

Bit disappointed to only have 5 mods in there... Wanted a lot more before I shared it on social media etc. :) Hint, hint.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Last updated

16. 88mphTim

Yeha, I agree. Will switch the code.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Pretty great thing this is Tim, thx for setting this up, its just what need to make things more centralized and easy to use :)

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think many haven't noticed this yet...

19. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

perhaps Tim should blast a message to each person who started a mod post under main / vehicles / tracks in the 3rd party area?

20. 88mphTim

I posted threads in the individual forums. I think it'll get there now. :)