rfactor 2 online = fun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlaringFiddle5, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

So ... I finally broke down and grabbed the ISR mods and files for their servers. Boy - i'm glad I did. Had great fun last night at the megane server!

I don't know how realistic or whatever rfactor 2 is simulation wise ... but i can definitely tell you that is the most fun i've had racing online. I have been racing iRacing for over a year ... most of the time, it is OK ... fun doesn't ever really seem to factor in much. Probably because the cars on the service are so bloody hard to keep on the road when going fast.

I didn't win any races last night but I did podium once. It just seemed so much more intuitive. I am aware that the megane is about the easiest car to drive on rfactor 2 (maybe toss-up between clio and megane). I drove some Howston over the weekend as well - that was big fun too only there were only like 3 other people in the race.

We need to get more online presence in rFactor 2 somehow!

Thoughts?

2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Easy, just tell your iRacing friends to upgrade to rF2.

3. BlaringFiddle5

LOL - that would require me actually having iracing friends :)

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Organization is key to getting a good league going. That takes time and patience since not all of your first batch of drivers will stay.

Sim racers are few and far between. Lots want the arcade driving with the sim label.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

That is a 10 points question.

I'll buy you a drink if you find a working solution.

There isn't really anything other like ISR atm (offering public racing every night with good amount of drivers)

I'm into league racing but atm my league is planning another season so I don't want to have too long brake... I'm planning my own event also but it takes time to get things going...btw, check it out in the Leagues section...Called "United Sim Racers"

See you on track!

6. BlaringFiddle5

i was in a league before ... on forza 4 ... it was ok - but the politics kinda ruined it ... i'd prefer no league ... i firmly believe people would play online if the interface to get online were better...

EDIT:

Let me elaborate on the interface being better ...

#1) right now - you have to create a vmod for your server ... this is fine ... someone operating a server should know how to do that ... it isn't that hard ... but the choice to make it accessible via port 443 instead of just dropping it into the stream from the regular server port means that many servers i've found can't (or don't) have 443 unblocked / forwarded and you can't get the vmod.

#2) Let us hide the bloody password protected servers!

#3) show a column with your ping to the server so that we can make a decision which server to join based on how close it is to us (not really a problem right now since only a couple servers ever have a decent amount of people on them).

#4) let us search for servers running certain cars or tracks presently ... so say I like Silverstone - let me search for servers that are running races at silverstone right now.

Most of the above is stuff that Quake 1 had available in 1996 ... It should be well known that those are desirable features for online play.

Additionally - There should be some official ISI servers that are fast .. data center in the US or whatever. Maybe just a couple running some good combinations... or perhaps one server per type of car setup in intelligent way - should be only official ISI content. I'm sure they have data center space somewhere - they run this site...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This is purely in ISIs hands, sure a few new mods/tracks will attract a few more people but ultimatley ISI need to deliver the base product and market it as they plan to do so, until then RF2 is simply a "word of mouth" game. They'll get there eventually I'm sure but as Tim said recently, their competition includes rf1 and until people sway from that to RF2 then I highly doubt we're gonna see many extra people online anytime soon.

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree with blaringfiddle suggestions. Actually I would make a filter for all appearing columns. A nice filter would be to show only servers where components referenced in the vmod where installed in your PC. The component missing message after downloading the vmod is frustrating.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

9. BlaringFiddle5

They should make more columns available in the list too - such as current car - current track ...

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry to focus on this slightly OT - but what do you mean? rF2 has a simulation port and a HTTP port defined. You don't need port 443. I'm currently operating a server with no open ports under 44000 and get mod works fine.

11. BlaringFiddle5

hmm - i swore i saw somewhere that 443 was required .. but I guess I didn't know for what - figured "GetMod" ... I run a server, forwarded 443, have done tcpdump and saw connections on 443 ...

In the case that I am wrong - then i don't know what is wrong - but about 25% of servers out there you can't get the mod ... you would need to go find it using other methods i guess ... Apparently some do ... as I have tried to join servers with people playing and could not "GetMod"...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  12. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Yes online is very fun. Who even cares if the AI are programmed perfectly, there is no satisfaction in racing AI. Everyone please get online. Finishing last against good competition is far more fun than beating the computer. You might even learn a few things online and get better, no chance against AI of that happening.

13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yes, please :)
    I sort server lists by players and ping when I play TF2 (TeamFortress2 - not an rFactor2 typo), then I pick a map based on good results from those two. The player numbers is more a key issue in rF, since there are relatively none. So, a user-defined sorting hierarchy, including ping, would be nice :)

14. BlaringFiddle5

I agree itis in their hands. However there seems to be enough users. The online experience needs to get easier for more users to show. I am IT guy and finfd it tedious, normal users may find it overwhelming.

15. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Don't forget the power of helping to seed servers. Many people don't join servers with only one or two or three players and that is unfortunate because often just one more person will draw many others. It may even be possible to be a "serial" seeder ; going from server to server and helping to light them up with participation.

16. BlaringFiddle5

I have a server running: "HG4 ~ HG6 @ Brianza 10k"

Was on there last night for a couple hours ... two people came and went. One other guy came and stayed. fun car/track combo, btw...

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They may have just disabled the HTTP server, or they haven't opened the port for it. I didn't try enabling it for ages after it had some issues early on, now I've got multiple servers (on different ports, obviously!) all working fine.

18. MMartin

MMartin Registered

Hi guys,

take a look at the IROn servers (forum www.iraceonline.com) we are starting a megane champ (1h race, start next Monday 14 october) each 15 days on monday.
    With historic cars, Howston G4 and G6 v1.2 (Lola T70), special events, each 15 days on Tuesday.
    If you have some questions pleas contact me on PM please.

;) see you
    Massimo

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  19. flitzi

flitzi Registered

Yeah, the ISR Megane server is fun. What I like most is that a race starts every 30 min. And 15 min race length is absolutely sufficient for a sim race imho, after that it gets boring most of the time. So much better than having to wait 2 hours for the next race. And the Megane server is usually quite populated during EU prime times.

And I also have to say, the physic of rF2 are very believable, really enjoy the Megane, C6 and 370z once the track is rubbered in.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  20. BlaringFiddle5

Me being from USA - there seems to not be as much online racing during my prime times. I watch http://rfactor.net/rf2mm.php and see lots of people on ISR and other servers throughout the day. However, i'm at work and so can't join in the fun :( More USA folks need to race online :)