RF1 or RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ops, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ops

ops Registered

Hello,

I'm unsure whether to buy rFactor 1 or 2, what do you think..?

Is the core of Part 2 "finished" now? I've watched a few youtube videos, and don't see a huge difference in graphics - on contrary, part 2 seems to have just a solid blue sky, aren't there some nice skyboxes?

I'm also a fan of the Nurburgring Nordschleife track, it seems there's just one version for RF2, and also still not finished (in iRacing this track isn't available at all), where for part 1 there are several versions with different layouts... is the modder community working on this right now, or are they still focused around part 1 mainly?

And a last question, has the physics changed a lot so there's a noticeable difference in driving?

Thanks for tips and best regards!

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Both if you want to be sure, can't go wrong really.

Aside from quick conversions, graphics have definitely improved, but more importantly (for me), physics have progressed even more :)

A user on here, Peclair, is working on a conversion so you really should give that a try. I even believe there is a free demo for rF2 to try.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I agree with above, try both demos and make you own choice.

Imo rf2 tire model is eons ahead of rf1.

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Rf2 for Best feeling with the car and of course better potential. Rf1 for better and smoother graphics and much more quality content.

5. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

both

6. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Get GSC2013 instead. :D

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Physics and ffb are dramatically more advanced in rf2 plus you have real road, dynamic weather, etc.

The answer to rf1 vs. rf2 depends mostly on what you are looking for. Until ISI released the Howstons, for example, I was running rf1 historics (albeit rarely) to get my historic tin top fix. Now, however, I cannot see myself ever returning to rf1.

Some, however, have very specific desires regarding cars, track, online features, and full grids that are not yet available in rf2. So for you the answer may be both, depending also on your current hardware and budget.

If you know and want to share more information about your system and specific interests we may be able to help you more.

8. ops

ops Registered

I've purchased RF1 now but I fail to get any mods running :-/
    tried "F1LRClub 2013", "F1 2013 RMT" and "F1 Total 2012", but game crashes immediately after loading the track (Garage screen comes up, then crash to desktop)

do I have to do anything special?

9. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Entirely this.

I'd take rF1 over rF2 for the next year or so I'm sure, rF2's content list that is actually worth playing is so short right now. Sure, there is a lot of cars, there are a lot of tracks. Large chunk of those cars look like trash and drive like trash. To put it simply, rF2 is the only sim I would have asked for a refund on until the Howstons. Sure, it has all these cool features and so much potential, but potential doesn't mean much if you don't do anything with it. For the most part, it's unrealized now. When you get one of the good cars on one of the good tracks, it's great, miles ahead of rF1, though still somewhat wooden feeling. Just not a whole lot of content, and online in both is non functional in either unless you join a league or want to race Meganes for life. rF2 AI is better than rF1 default AI, though rF2 AI is improving, though rF1 AI can be tweaked and there is a ton of information out there on it, which makes them as good as / better than rF2 AI.

rF2 will pass rF1, no question. The Howstons are proof. Though it should say something that I'm excitedly nervous for the Indycar stuff, because if it sucks, well, rF2 is dead and I can walk away and never care about it again. This sim is that frustrating and all over the place at times. I'm excited for my favorite open wheel car ever, just to see if it's bad enough I can stop caring. I have that little faith. I haven't even written off pCars yet, and that shows far less potential than rF2.

If you are judging rF2's graphics by YT though, you are doing it wrong. Anything that has detailed textures nearly solely to create it's immersion will fail on YT.

The question of rF1 or rF2 isn't which is better, it's more of a question of how long are you willing to wait to get what you know is better, but isn't actually better right now. rF1 for now, rF2 a year from now.

10. ops

ops Registered

Well, I want to play now, not in a year ;-)

but not being able to get any mod running, for a game that advertises about being all about modding, without giving any error message at all (no fatal error in tracelog) gives a very poor first impression about that game.

11. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Thats rfactor unfortunately. Nice when running but get used to spending more time getting it to run / getting content / tweaking etc than racing. I Think thats just reality for most of us - and you kinda get used to it. I really wish it was more user friendly though :)

12. Jamie Shorting

Don't get netted. The op says he's looking to purchase, now he's saying he cant install mods. 2+2 ;)

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

atm it isn't newcomer friendly (meaning you have to use some time, probably lots of time, to get things going). After the initial phase all is much easier and well worth it. Personally I can't understand how people can still be playing rf1 over this.

I think rf2 already has lots of really good tracks, they just aren't all looking good just yet. Many needs graphical updates but tracks itself are nice.

There are also plenty of quality cars, if you are not too picky of what you drive (meaning that you are only interested in certain type of cars)

But if you are used to stuff that is "ready" then you should probably wait to not get too disappointed.

14. ops

ops Registered

I've already purchased it :p
    But still no luck getting it running, and google is full with "rfactor crash to desktop" results. I've turned off windows UAC, too.

Or maybe all those mods I tried are just trash? Maybe someone has a link to a working mod that adds some F1 cars?

15. Jamie Shorting

What did you buy? What are you trying to install?

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

start from there

17. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

he bought rF1......

18. ops

ops Registered

19. ops

ops Registered

I guess those mods all require something else to run properly, I found now a different one that's working :)

It's called "F1 RFT 2012 v2"

It comes with an installer, there's even DRS and KERS functionality, and no crashes.

I still wonder why the other ones didn't work though...

What do you suggest is the best way to switch mods? Is there some common tool for it, or do you use multiple installs (e.g. with rFactor Lite) ?

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

for me, definetly rF2, keeps getting updated, goes forward by massive steps all the time, has future plus if you have HW good enough, looks beautiful