KNOWN Performance issues with some tracks

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MarcusarilliuS_IRL, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

MarcusarilliuS_IRL Registered

Hey guys,

Installed rFactor 2 for the first time in a while yesterday and was having a mess around on some tracks. Mostly it runs fine, but some tracks like Brianza the frame rate is stuck around 35fps, even on a practice session with just me on track.
    There is no difference between 8xaa and no aa. This seems very strange.
    Is this track problematic for everyone or just me?

Settings are 1920x1080, 8xaa, sync set to video, refresh rate set to 60hz, HDR enabled and within the sim everything is maxed.
    As I said most tracks run fine, only having issues with some. I put it down to dodgy conversions with some of the 3rd part ones but assumed Brianza should be fine as it is ISI's track.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Tried to attach a Signature so you can see my specs, but having issues. It's saying "Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 2 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines.". I tried shortening it to less than 1 line and still getting the error so will attach it here so you guys know what setup I am running.

i7-2700K @ 4.8ghz / 2 x Gigabyte GTX 670 windforce OC in SLI / 16GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz(7-8-8-24) / Asus P8Z68 Deluxe gen 3 / X-fi titanium champion edition / Corsair HX850W / 1x120gb Intel 520 SSD / 1x240gb Intel 520 SSD / Corsair 600t SE(White) / Corsair K90 & M60 / Win7 x64 / Creative S750 7.1 surround speakers / Sony Bravia KDL-40Z5800 / Optoma HD33 + 100" motorized screen / T500rs + F1 rim + GT Omega Wheel stand

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Some tracks are a bit heavy indeed, try Silverstone for example. so its not just 3rd party tracks.

If you compare ISI's first tracks Spa, Monaco etc with Silverstone there is a massive increase in all kinds of stuff so they too are changing/adapting/improving/whatev's. Monaco got updated as the framerates where horrible so here's hoping in the near future this all will become less of an issue. And for modders as well of course.

However there are things going on on our end as well, never hurts to optimize your sim by tweaking and testing. Loads of dicussions and tips on those issues on these forums. There are still things to improve for us as well.

4. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Cheers mate :)

Will test a few different ones and report back.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Sync problem? Have you tried it with sync disabled?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't really judge/compare performance with sync on. If your PC can run it above 60fps you'll get 60, and if it can mostly only run it above 30 you'll get somewhere around 30. Depending what's going on and what part of the track you're on you might get something in between. (imagine your job is taking suitcases off a conveyor at an airport; if you can't do it fast enough to get every single suitcase you'll leave some on there, and if every one is quite heavy you'll probably leave every 2nd one behind)

7. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Haven't tried with sync off, will do but can't stand tearing.
    Vsync is not immediately capping me to 30 if I drop below 60.
    As most tracks are fine I assume it is probably a track problem and not vsync.

I will try later on though, thanks for the suggestion.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It won't cap you at 30, and I never said it would.

If you turn off vsync you will see the framerate fluctuates a lot. If your framerate is above 60 at most tracks, your vsync will stay at 60. If the 'raw' framerate fluctuates above and below 60, with vsync on you will sometimes be updating at 60Hz, and at other times it won't quite update fast enough to do 60 and will therefore drop to 30 (it waits for the next update, which happens 60 times per second, so if it misses one the next one will be 1/30th of a second after the previous frame).

This will vary a lot every second, so your average will end up between 30 and 60. You might average 45, but that will be some updates at 60 and some at 30. With vsync on each individual update will happen at one of those rates (unless it slows down even more).

As I said with the suitcases - some will be heavier, so by the time you manage to take it off you've missed the next one, while others will be a bit lighter and you can get to the next one fine.

But of course, this slightly lower framerate that drops you below 60 is due to the track. Vsync itself isn't a 'problem'.

* But it does mask the underlying performance. Getting constant non-vsync FPS of 35 and 55 will look the same with vsync on, because both will update at 30FPS.

9. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Tried with sync off and no difference.
    Silverstone is also atrocious, even with just me on track during a practice session. fps is sub 40's.

Is this normal?

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, until it is more refined in it's next update.

11. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Right so. Thanks Tim.