MANTLE, The Savior for AMD and ISI? Will we benefit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marvin Morgan, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech...pi-initiative-unleash-amd-gpus-full-potential

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/358351,amd-and-dice-move-beyond-directx-with-mantle.aspx

[​IMG]

This sounds VERY promising and could net us HUGE increases in framerates and performance.
    Question is, will ISI get on board and implement it?
    Tim, please tell us you guys are looking at it, better yet, tell us you've been looking all along and thats why the AMD talk has been kinda low and you guys already have this laying in the cut.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nope. AMD don't seem talkative to smaller devs like nVidia are. They had Chris "$20 Million crowdfunding" Roberts on stage for the announcement. If it is something we can use, we'll use it, of course. If the benefit is really there for us to do so.

3. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Damn not a promising response. At least you say if it's something you can use you'll use it. That's promising. So you guys will be looking at it. The way it reads though it really seems like a boost can be had with this. More junk out the way the better. Don't worry, I'll talk to AMD for you ;) lol

4. 88mphTim

Well it's sort of like the voodoo, glide era. This doesn't really help AMD, as far as I can see... It actually pulls the PC market apart, and might only get support with a few select titles (big money titles). Small guys aren't going to put the work in for two gfx pipes? Every Windows PC has direct x, and this is a competitor to that. I'm not a coder, but I can't see much benefit for anyone, especially the AMD customers.

5. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

From what i've read, it isn't like that at all because it will be open source, or at least the API open, for anyone else to write their own implementation of it, so nvidia could implement it too.

Sadly though, nvidia being nvidia probably won't bother and will try and peddle some closed, locked out propriety alternative of their own, just like they have with cuda, physx and the like.

In fact it's really sad when you see developers being bribed into using things like physx (the batman developers for example) and dumping on half of their user base.
    Particularly when there are just as good, hardware accelerated, free physics alternatives. Nvidia really doesn't have the consumer at heart sadly, and only cares about locking them off and building a walled garden, rather than trying to be better than the competition. The problem ati has is that it is a lot smaller and so can't really devote the resources to helping every developer i suppose. It's just, at least they are far more positive in their approach the the market, by opening up technologies and letting their products do the talking, rather than trying to shut out (and dump on) users of competitors' products, like nvidia does.

Perhaps it is worth trying to stir up some conversation with ati again?

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The reason why consoles can do so much relative to how weak their GPUs and cpus (especially GPU) are, is not only because the games are designed for the specific setup, but because there us no DirectX in-between it and the game.

About 6 months ago I heard that the overhead of DirectX could be as much as 80%!!!!! No wonder DirectX-less consoles can do so much with their crappy (relatively speaking) hardware.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Didn't realise amd had the new console markets covered too, that's good.
    anyway this new mantle thing, will it effect current gpus or well they have to be new ones? that's what's confusing me!

amd/ati need a mass email barrage from RF2 users...let's organise one!

8. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Worth a try (petition?) but these things rarely have any affect.

My next card will be from Nvidia if AMD won't work with the likes of ISI.

9. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Same here

10. elbo

elbo Registered

Whoa, implicit in that answer is that nvidia has actually been assisting or at least collaborating with ISI...as owner of what I consider to be a seriously under performing nvidia based rig when it comes to rfactor 2 this answer bums me out to no end.

11. 88mphTim

AFAIK the only real issue with nV still remaining apart from small changes, is SLI. Which in some cases might give better performance when disabled.