Wheel problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Sep 20, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I recently bought a new pc and now I'm having some troubles with my wheel. I have T500RS wheel. No issues with old pc.

Now I'm losing connection every time I quit a session. Sometimes there's a calibration problem as soon as I enter the game. Replugging the wheel helps, but then it loses connection again after exiting session. In wheel profile it seems to work fine.

When I quit a session the wheel moves a little which it didn't do earlier...

Tried an update from the profile, it says that there's some update but then it ends up in error:

View attachment 10015

I hadn't these problems on Wednesday when I played last time, these started today. Haven't changed much...just tried some new graphical settings.

Help needed :(

2. datanode

datanode Registered

Have you tried different USB ports? Ideally at back on motherboard itself

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I have both 3.0 and 2.0 ports... There's two port on top of the pc and the wheel is currently pluuged in one of those. No idea which one is 3.0 port and where should I plug it (to 3.0 or 2.0)

4. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Back not top! 2.0

5. datanode

datanode Registered

Guessing it would make more sense into a 2, but any ports that are case wire to pin on motherboard (sounds like these could be I would avoid)

Do you have a spare usb cable and try back of pc, but again not a PCI slot extender of USB ports. Also unplug anything else in USB bus at the moment. Ideally use other peripherals if you have them :)

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

datanote, not sure what you mean by "PCI slot extender of USB ports" or by "other peripherals" but anyway thanks for quick answers and I'll try another usb port next time around.

7. kma

kma Registered

8. datanode

datanode Registered

No problem :) let me try to explain ;) as it might help you, no guarantees ! But worth a try.

Sometimes PCs have (typically four) USB slots down by the graphics cards to provide even more usb connectivity, don't use those either! Don't use any on the front, top, side, down with the graphics card slots. Use the ones next to closest to the on board audio / network.

My reasoning;

Any USB port that is not attached directly to the motherboard my have (for whatever reason) less power or incorrect termination. Regardless, at the back of the computer where the on board audio is, in the same area those USB ports should be used.

That could be a phone charging, a mouse keyboard (especially Bluetooth or wireless, often had problems with these kinds of devices) tablet, stylus, USB hdd or anything connected via USB :)

My reasoning is, maybe something has a large draw on the power of the entire USB system. (Slaps self for saying USB bus, not thinking straight at the moment sorry) drivers for things like Bluetooth mouses keyboards can do some really stupid things with sleeping and this does cause issues.

Do you have spare wires? Can you try just the pedals on their own, or just the wheel on its own?

My suggestion is to try this first;

Remove everything usb from the system. If you have a new keyboard and mouse, use old ones and preferably ps2 type, unless you don't even have ps2 on the pc ;)

Then with the minimal plugged in, ensure the pedals and wheel are plugged into the main part of the PC at the back.

If this is still happening then try just the pedals and just the wheel vice versa.

If it is still happening work your way back, what drivers do you have for wireless items etc?

It is gonna take a methodical approach to figure it out, as it is a new PC it will take a little, do you still have the old PC can you confirm the issue is only on the new PC?

By process of elimination, you will find the issue, I hope it is just a software issue that is easily resolved in the end :)

Finally, other reasons it could be bad;

Poor cable, got damaged.
    Poor power supply, pc
    Poor power supply for wheel
    Driver issue, of other devices
    Sleep issue, time how long it takes to disconnect, is it consistent? (Software mis configuration)
    Some other software/driver mis configuration
    Internal fault with the wheel, use old pc if you can to establish if it is just the new computer.

Basically, eliminate problems, where you can, methodically. Worst case scenario, it is a combination, which makes it harder to diagnose.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Other devices that uses usb port: headset, T8RS shifter, wireless keyboard/mouse transmitter, external soundcard (I had all these plugged in also in old pc)

I plugged the wheel to the back of pc now, result: No more problems when I start rf2 but as soon as I quit a session then the wheel stops working.

It probably isn't big deal because I mostly play online and offline only for testing purposes. I just hope that wheel works also after track is changed in online session.

thanks datanote for looking into this.

10. canastos

canastos Registered

This sounds to me like a driver/power problem, so the advice to plug the wheel directly to mainboard is perfect for me too, and I would add, don't let the software try to update itself (as it seems to be failing), uninstall it, reboot, and go yourself to Thrustmaster website and download and install software (and drivers, if they are spare)

byyyyyyyyyye

11. datanode

datanode Registered

Glad your making some progress :)

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya the fact you're gettin errors is weird, I would first try to successfully complete that. What version I'd your wheel? Should day underneath.

13. ferlob

ferlob Registered

14. datanode

datanode Registered

Can you try running without the USB sound card, just to see if that makes a diff

15. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Reinstalled driver/firmware, tried to unplug some devices (including the external sound card) etc. but nothing works...the same problem stays :p

Lets see if I can live with it. Otherwise the wheel works flawlessly.

16. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Do you only loose forcefeedback or the whole wheel ingame after a session change? I mean can u drive the car with the wheel and just the ffb is missing or doesn't respond the wheel to any input either? Iam just asking because i got a Fanatec wheel and i loose ffb every now and then in rf2,rf1,race series and gsc. Its not that big problem for me cause i use the Reset FFB button and everythings fine again. Except for the Race Series games cause they don't have that option and thats a big point for me not playing it anymore.

17. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I think it's a problem with the wheel. Send it to me to diagnose the issue. :)

18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I already posted this somewhere: Each time I needed to update the T500RS drivers the only working configuration was with my old laptop having Windows XP and only USB 2.0 ports.

My new laptop with Windows 8 and USB 3.0 ? fail, wheel turn "dead" (no light, nothing).
    My gaming desktop with Win 7 64 bits and USB 3.0/2.0 ports? fail with all USB ports, wheel was "dead".

My old laptop XP and USB 2.0? Wake up my "dead" wheel and after this I can use it on all my computers :)

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I explain what the situation is atm:

I start the game and start a session. Wheel works at this point. I can play how long I want, no issues... ffb is there all the time and everything works.

When I quit a session, that's when I encounter the problem. When I go to wheel settings nothing happens, wheel doesn't react to input anymore. If I go back to a race weekend it won't work.

At this point I have to exit the game. The wheel has its power on all the time so it isn't "dead". If I go to Thrustmaster control panel the wheel is working normally.

When I launch the game again the wheel is working again.

Really strange. Couldn't this be some kind of a settings problem with the game itself?

20. Bart S

Bart S Member

Try backup your .PLR your Multiplayer.ini and Controller.in then delete them out of your userdata folder start the game so new ones are auto created.
    Hopefully if your wheel works in game without selecting a wheel profile, then continue to quit session go back and test again if it still works on your next session it was probably a problem with one of your config files.
    Next you want assign a T500rs default profile to your player profile and test the same again.