Unable to run 2 instances on server after build 300

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by baristabrian, Sep 8, 2013.

1. baristabrian

baristabrian Registered

Hope someone can help with this as we have race coming up Tue.

We (Champion Motorsports) have been running multiple instances of rFactor2 on our game server for quite some time with no issues. However since updating to build 300 we are now unable to do this. We can launch the 1st instance no problem but....when we try to launch the 2nd instance we get the following message.

"Ensure ports set in multiplayer.ini are available"

It does not matter which instance we launch 1st. They both work individualy, but whch ever you launch 2nd gets that message.

We have checked and the port values in both of our userdata profiles multiplayer.ini's are different, and both are within the port ranges available.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't know much about the dedi, but I assume you're not using the different profiles in your shortcuts.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

3. baristabrian

baristabrian Registered

We have to userprofiles in the userdata folder, ("Player" and "NissanCup") each with their own PLR file named accordingly.

1. We launch rF2
    2. From the 1st screen we select "Host"
    3. From the drop down we select the profile we want.
    4. We select the mod
    5. After we click "load" all works fine

But when we try to launch another instance using the other profile we get the above mentioned "port" message. Each profile works fine on its own, but we cant run both without that error message.

The odd thing is we have been running multi instances (these same 2 profiles) fine for weeks. Didn't have this issue till build 300?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Did you update your multiplayer.ini files? The old lines (think there are 4 of them?) are no longer valid, so you need a different port set via the new line on each server.

*Just to be clear, and for anyone else who finds this thread, I'm talking about these lines:

WAN Query Port="44297" // range is 1025 - 65535
    WAN Join Port="54297" // range is 1025 - 65535
    LAN Query Port="44297" // range is 1025 - 65535
    LAN Join Port="54297" // range is 1025 - 65535

which are no longer used. They're replaced by this line:

Simulation Port="54297" // range is 1025 - 65535

If you continue to use an old multiplayer.ini the Build 298+ server will ignore those lines, and since it can't find the new one it'll use default. So multiple servers will be using the same default port. That may or may not be the issue in this particular case.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  5. Jean-christophe Pires

Jean-christophe Pires Registered

I have the same problem, I have chosen two different port for each profile:

simulation port = 54297
    HTTP server port = 64297

and

simulation port = 54298
    Http server port = 64298

Forcing a bit of both servers are getting, but there is a mistake. In the list of server, the first server have one track and one car, but I load server track and car of the second and vice versa.

6. gagipro

gagipro Registered

try 54297 & 53297
    64297 & 63297

works for us : atchoom.fr servers in the list

BUT : we didn't need this profile stuff before build 291.
    So there is a regression since that build

7. Jean-christophe Pires

Jean-christophe Pires Registered

It work well with your port thx so much !!!:cool:

Merci! Je ne connais pas votre team, si ça vous tente un pti tour chez nous eracing.fr et vive la France ;) MDR

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The drop down for selecting profiles is broken. The only way to launch the second server is by adding +profile "NissanCup" to the dedi command line.

Trust me on this. I have already helped a few other admins with this problem. This is the fix.

9. Radar

Radar Registered

What Noel said.. It's the problem I had, I then created shortcuts forgetting the +profile.

The new changes are much better, at least this time the +profile works where before it was having to select it.

Also @baristabrian, you can run rF2 dedicated server.exe file through the core folder rather then through the Launcher. The shortcuts (with +profile) you create for each of your servers saves you loading the launcher each time.

10. Don Fryman

Don Fryman Registered

One more question on this.
    Do we still need to go in and change the port numbers or does the +profile do this for us?

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you build a shortcut from the Core folder, make sure you set the working directory the root and not the core.

Don, you still need to set the ports in the mp.ini files. This cmd line just tells the server which profile to use.

Another option you can add is +oneclick. This option will start the server minimized without asking any questions. This is nice for fully automated startups.

12. Don Fryman

Don Fryman Registered

Well you guys gave me the idea now I have another question.........
    I made 2 shortcuts for our 2 separate instances pointing to rfactor2dedicated in the core folder and using the +profile and made sure to use the RF2 root as the working directory.
    When I click on the shortcut up pops an error box saying the it could not find "pthreadvc2.dll", and if I click thru the error box the starts and runs fine.
    What do I need to do to correct the error?

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I believe that dll is included in the VC runtimes. I don't understand why you wouldn't also get this error when running the dedi server from the launcher. I will have to look into that one tomorrow morning.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks noel

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

15. Don Fryman

Don Fryman Registered

Please disregard this question, seems I missed files needed for our tracking plug-in which caused the error. :eek:
    Thanks for all the help with getting multi-instances running, now someone needs to add this info to the wiki.......

16. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Wow, that's nice indeed! Thanks for the tip, Noel!