Why is the steering so bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chunkyspice69, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah. The 990kg Renault with around 350-360hp, mid-engine, big downforce. The one that is almost an openwheeler, just with a shell over top of it.
    Crazy how the big Corvette with little downforce, and a monstrous engine handles nothing like it.
    If it's in regards to your steering settings...well...then it's not a problem with the car surely?

In terms of the wheel, I run a G25, and it doesn't seem to matter what I set the wheel rotation as in the control panel. I use the car specific setting, and it always overrides it and gives me good steering. Is there some issue with some other Logitech profiler software that is conflicting or messing round with it?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Of course the profiler can be a bit problematic. If you limit the rotation, rF2 could have less real rotation to work with.

3. antgen

antgen Registered

To me the only way to control rotation setting inside game is to force close the logitech software before loading rf2.

This happened since b300, along with the losing controls problem after exiting a track(also with b300), with previous builds it was working fine(and I haven't changed anything in logitech profile settings since a long time)

4. gagipro

gagipro Registered

same feeling for me with a csw.

Not happy with the feeling I've got ... no clue where to look anymore

5. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Hmmm, it's disturbing. Tim/ISI should check me on this but I believe the most direct test is as follows:

- Set your wheel in the Windows profiler to 900 degrees.

- Load the sim (SP or Online, doesn't matter).

- Now WITHOUT loading a track, just from the main menu select Settings and go to the Controls tab.

- On this screen you want to pay attention to the graphic for your wheel in the upper left, labeled Steering. As it says underneath the graphic, this should be a representation of your physical wheel's rotation.

- Turn off (uncheck) the Vehicle Set option.

- Now what should happen is that if you set the Steering Wheel Range to say 300, you should turn your physical wheel and hit a stop very quickly (at 150 degrees in either direction). At this stop the red fill inside the Steering graphic should be all the way to one side. You can play around with the Steering Wheel Range setting, trying higher numbers, and it will immediately be reflected in both your lock-to-lock range on the physical wheel as well as by the graphic.

It'd be great if you and/or the OP could try this and report back what you find. It's impossible to overstate how important it is that the physical wheel travel be matched to the car. If it isn't then it's just going to feel strange and unnatural.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What OS are you all using? Last time I lost my calibration (and felt reduced rotation) was with XP.

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

FYI steering is better in new build, or Im getting better :p
    I can catch slides with Eve F1 and Im using G25.

Do as above posts say, let game control rotation, set ffb as you like and leave everything else to 0.

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

t500rs give superb ffb. full on.

9. datanode

datanode Registered

For me also, feels awesome on the Megane ! Now I can start pushing more :D

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

+1

But you have to find right settings.

Clio feels superb.

11. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

I accept your comments Tim but the steering and road feel of GSC 2012 is so much more superior. I'm not bagging RF2 but to me many of the cars are very twitchy, have no feel and the steering is so light and floaty. When I turn the wheel (cornering) in GSC I feel the tension and pressure in the wheel, the weight of the car and I want to feel that in RF2.

12. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Windows 7 64bit

13. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Windows 7 64bit

14. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I feel all of that stuff right now in rF2. You are doing something wrong.

Could you post screenshots of your controller settings in windows, controller settings in rF2 and your "difficulty" page in rF2. Maybe we can spot something you missed.

15. benmttf

benmttf Registered

+1 Yes please give us somme screenshots it will be easier

16. jjcook

jjcook Registered

doesnt sound like you have any ffb working- ive never felt the ffb to be 'floaty' in rf2 expect when : 1. there is none, 2. there is not enough- turn it up 3. the car completely loses grip, at which point there is no feedback to the wheel

keep trying because i have a hrd time accepted what you said: about superiority- ive never felty ffb as good as rf2

17. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Again, this strongly suggests to me that the physical wheel isn't close to 1:1 with the car's wheel. Do you have to turn the wheel 900 degrees to reach full lock in every car in the sim, say for instance in the Marussia?

This is what a friend of mine reported - that no matter what he did with in-game settings for his CSW, the wheel would always go to 900 degrees and that was where full lock was achieved in every car.

When this is the case, not only is the steering sensitivity and your ability to control the car compromised, but the steering forces are spread out over a much wider range than they should be, which will make it feel "light and floaty."

EDIT: I'm a big fan of GSC as well, so I know what you mean about the steering feel in that sim, but rF2 feels even better to me. I don't feel any less tension or "weight" in the wheel. Something's very likely wrong in your setup.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

There are tons of issues with rF2 (just read this forum to see), but the one issue it does not have is poor FFB or steering or steering feel. The configuration and user interface is not as simple as it should be, but trust us that once you get everything set-up properly, you won't be thinking it's worse than an rF1-based title. rF2 steering feel and FFB is the best out there to date.

19. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I'm itching to help, could we see the screenshots please?

20. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

This. The more I drive it (and I've driven it a LOT), the better it gets. How often does that happen?