Multiple rFactor 2 installs?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by zim2323, Sep 4, 2013.

1. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Tired of mods conflicting with other mods. I'm back to the same issue as I had in rF1. I thought the whole ModMgr deal was supposed to fix this??

Anyways, I had to rename (rFactor2.old) my original install and install rFactor2 fresh (then copy UserData), in order to install and use the new SCES_V5mod for the upcoming Monza endurance race. I previously tried uninstalling original ISI Brianza/Monza and the GT2 Corvette trying to eliminate issues I was having (I also uninstalled/reinstalled the v5mod after the fact). Wrong tires, no tire/scrub sounds, etc. As soon as I installed the rFactor2 Lite and put ONLY that SCES_v5mod in the Packages folder and installed, now everything is working as it should.

Bottom line, what do I need to be weary of to do this (i.e. multiple rF2 installs). I'm extremely computer savvy, so you can ignore the mundane simple stuff. If it's possible to do, I only need to know which files to edit (like config.ini for rF1), or even registry settings to modify. It's simple enough for me to create/develop a launcher to do everything I need to launch which mod/installation I'm looking to use.

2. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

I see that rfactor2\core\data.path file has the "data" install location.

In my case, I installed both Core and Data to D:\rFactor2, so it looks like if I move/rename and install folder, I can change that path to the new and it should use the proper data file location?

Or, better yet, can I create a COMMON rF2 install and point every data.path file to that so that I have one userdata folder with settings/setups, etc.?

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You can have a common core and multiple datapaths and have you launcher modify the data.path file to toggle between datapaths. rF2 doesn't need any registry settings but the modmgr does. You could play with those paths with your launcher too.

If you want a common UserData folder, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is NTFS junction points.

4. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

I had rF2 installed on my HDD and now on my SSD (OS drive and the one i'll be using from now on)...i went to uninstall on my HDD and it kept everything on the HDD but uninstalled my SSD version. Having to download the latest build and reinstall :( I guess next time i'll just right click and delete the files on the HDD. Beware guys.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There should be no need for multiple installs. If a mod is conflicting, tell the mod maker or delete the out of date content which shouldn't be installed anymore. If it's happening with ISI mods, you have something installed which is out of date. From ISI, you should only have what we list on our downloads page, as I said about the Skip Barber etc here.

6. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Hello all,
    I like to use multiple installs, 1 with config for 3 monitors and 1 for 1 monitor. Is that possible in any way?
    Thanks

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

For sure

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I cannot agree on this one. I already posted the reason some time ago. I will bring the link back later when I turn on my computer.

Basically the reason is that leagues usualy need to modify some components to adapt them to the circumstances of a particular race. If you update the vehicle for example you mess up the original multicomponent and the mods using it. You cannot just uninstall an update or select which version of one component to use. What we are doing now is copying and changing the names of the components or alternatively doing different installations for isolated events where previous solution is too much work for just one race.

9. 88mphTim

Um... If the league rfmod includes a particular car and track, you could open mod manager, uninstall car, uninstall track, install league rfmod, race, then return. No? You're talking seconds and maybe 6 clicks, versus managing two installs.

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

One race is not just one day. It implies several days of practice prior to the race.
    When two races are close to each other in time and are using different versions of the same car, it is not very practical to do back and forth the procedure you mention when training for both races. To that procedure you mention which is not as straightforward as you describe it you would need to add the reinstall the components and mod part of it. IMO copying the whole rfactor folder (I never separate core and data) with a different name is much easier. After the event you might erase it if you want.

11. 88mphTim

I can't say I really understand the difficulty you describe, can you expand on what the process is for you using the method I described, what I miss? If it's as difficult as you tone of the post suggests, then that's not how it should be.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?p=195887

This is the post I was referring before. I will make a video with procedure so that you better understand the problem.

13. 88mphTim

Oh, that! I already had a major whinge at the devs about that when I was last in the office, last week. :)