my rF2 looks like XXXX

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by shabo, Sep 3, 2013.

1. shabo

shabo Registered

after looking at so many nice looking screenshots of rF2, =I kept wondering what the heck are they talking about. mine looks like crap, I need help. Here is a picture of what I am talking about, check out the horizon and the trees close by. Its like they are transparent for some odd reason....

[​IMG]

the settings for the picture above:

[​IMG]

So then I decided to turn the settings down, same result:

[​IMG]

the settings for the picture above:

[​IMG]

and the Vid Res settings for both:
    [​IMG]

I tried every single AA level and not a one is doing the trick.

Continued next post................

2. shabo

shabo Registered

I even started to look in my NVidia Inspector for something to make it better, here are the recommended settings for it that I have matched with mine:
    [​IMG]

and all that does it make it look like every tree has "snow" on it!!!:
    [​IMG]

Please help, I am at a total loss now.

Thanks

Mike

Specs:
    i5 760 @4.2ghz
    8 gig ddr3-1800mhz
    128gig OCZ ssd
    PNY 460GTX
    Win 7 64bit

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

First off your Nvinspector should look like this.

[​IMG]

In game set AA to disabled and turn HDR on. Turn sun occlusion on. Did you mess with the config file? I think you either turned off or on the transparency mapping option I forgot the specific command in the file but the tree problem is what happens when you do. Anyway do what I have suggested and your rF2 will look great... but you need a strong computer and graphics card to make it look good.

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

You have to modify player.ini.

Set TransparencyAA=0

This is a problem with some tracks only.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Feels3 is aware of he problem and it will be fixed in the next update of his tracks (Putnam, Poznan and Croft). You have to modify the player.plr file (rF2DataFolder\UserData\player). Open the file in notepad and disable the transparent anti aliasing setting (Transparency AA="0" // Soften edges around alpha test objects) by setting the value to zero.

6. shabo

shabo Registered

Thx guys. Ill give it a shot when i get home this afternoon and update this thread for anyone else having the issue. Thank you all again!! Another reason the rfactor comminity is better than the rest

7. shabo

shabo Registered

Thank you all for the help, the plr file was the fix

[​IMG]

much better, now, what do I do to get my fps up a little more (atleast to match my refresh rate) get a new cpu/board? gfx card? more ram?

8. Tosch

Tosch Registered

To get better performance with your current gfx card you have to reduce the anti aliasing. Sparse grid supersampling is a performance killer.

The best upgrade would be a new gfx card. I believe Nvidia is the better choice because of the better driver support for non mainstream software like rFactor2. VRAM should be at least 2GB.

Around 200 Euro I would go for a GTX670 or GTX760 (GTX670 is 5-10% faster). The GTX770 is nice but expensive (350 Euro +).

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Agreed AA is to expensive (fps wise) for what it's worth

I ran for a while with it completely switched off & actually started to not even notice what jaggies existed

Now I run on lowest AA settings - just x2 with no multi or super sample
    This setting seems to smooth out edges enough for me

P.s I do have a high end over clocked system & run with most other settings around high
    I just like alot if fps ( around 100 fps )

10. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Well no. :)

The fix needs to be done by the track artist. What you're doing is just turning off the Transparency Antialiasing which is required to get a smooth alpha edge for 2D elements using the chroma blend. This mean you're going to sort this issue for this component but all tracks using proper vertex alpha values for trees will looks worse and every other 2D element using the same blend is going to be ruined by this choice. :)

11. rer8

rer8 Registered

Thanks for the insight Tuttle, but I am only a lowly user. In the current state of things how should I (we) set the video up to get the most out of the best built tracks. Next, in your opinion what track and car combination would best demonstrate (stress) the individual users computer. I have a 3 year old home built gaming machine. I will be building a new, probably, NVidia based machine with a video card budget of ~ 400 USD, in the near future. Have you any recommendations for me in that area, with respect to the video card? Thank you for your consideration.

Randy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  12. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Hi Randy.

Lesiu started a nice thread with few hardcore tests which are very useful to stress your machine on different conditions.

I suggest you to make the same, even if you don't have a High End gpu on your side. If your system will be killed by those tests you can start turning down your game settings, mostly on the visual aspect side.

Also, in the same thread you can find lot of systems which are capable to perform rF2 on highest settings. As they're all real values tested on real systems I think this is a good place where you can find lot of infos about a possible machine/hardware update for your rig.... :)

This is the thread:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ected-Need-help-from-680-770-780-Titan-owners

13. rer8

rer8 Registered

Thanks, Tuttle... I will take a look now.
    Randy

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Thanks for this!

15. shabo

shabo Registered

Greay info. Thanks again guys. One more question. $300 USD budget. What card should i get? I want to stay away from ATI cards as they perform terribly in FSX. I had a atu catd last year and it wasnt what i expected from the reviews online about it. So 300 dollars i have to spend on a Nvidia card. What should i go with. Id like to goba k to runnimg triple screens again so.keep that in mind.