Downloading mods through game always fails

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by RMayfield, Sep 2, 2013.

1. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

Hey guys, I tried to download the mods/series of the top 4 highest populated servers in the game and each one has around half the items failing to download, saying to check the download locations. I understand that the download links arent ISI's fault, but it seems crazy that im having trouble downloading most of the items when these rooms are so popular. Also, I checked my cars and tracks, and I now have duplicates of some as well. Not that the versions are different, I see those too, but I have 2 or 3 of the same cars such as the ver1.1 1960 F1 cars, and 3 Portugal tracks that look identical on the selection page. Very messy....

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

As of now I only know of one 3rd party mod that supports GetMod. Until more modders start taking advantage of it you will see lots of failed downloads.

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I also tried to download one of the hard to get mods trough server but like 4 out of 12 components failed to download. In this case I'm not sure if I can do anything with these components that I managed to download.

Any reason Noel why only some of the component downloads succeeded?

4. canastos

canastos Registered

Probably only some of the components (in that vmod) are properly hosted and redirected

byyyyyyyye

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Maybe we could list the servers we tried to join? and if the server admins can read this forum they might be able to sort the failed downloads? I tried the get mod feature yesterday, I thought it was because I hadn't opened ports or something but I failed to get anything downloaded.

6. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

If you can get in touch with the Admin of the server...asking him to increase the download size...It is defaulted at 500mb...I increase our servers to 1800mb...issue resolved..

Now I don't know the reasoning behind increasing the download size available...Just that it works for our servers..

Dave

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Dave, there are two stages to GetMod. The first is downloading the rfmod direct from the race server which should ONLY contain references to the rfcmp's. This rfmod will be less than 100kb. Increasing the download limit shouldn't be needed unless your rfmod actually contains the rfcmp's (which it shouldn't). The next step is the screen that lists the missing rfcmp's. When the admin adds the rfcmp's to the rfmod the download URL's for each rfcmp are embedded in the rfmod. This is where the problem is, mods rfcmp's don't have working download URLs in them. So now when the driver clicks the Get Missing Components button it attempts to download the rfcmp using the URLs that it embedded in the rfmod at package time. Most of these URLs are invalid and will fail.

The one 3rd party mod I know of that supports GetMod only supports GetMod on the very latest versions of each car (excluding one where the modder forgot to put a correct URL) and most servers are failing to stay up to date on this mod.

The other problem is rF2's timeout is way to short so it will give up on xfers without giving them a chance to even start. You can just keep joining a server until everything downloads. I hope this improves in future builds because it is a pain in the ass.

8. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

Thanks Noel :)

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Oh hi there Ryan. :)

10. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Yes Noel..Thanks for the detailed explanation... Like I posted..it would likely not be relevant to the above OP's post...just what worked for us a few builds ago..Same fruit basket...just not all apples..:)

Dave

11. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

Hey bud, long time no race :)

So is it just a crap shoot to find these mods that are being run since there isnt an rFcentral right now?

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

13. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered