ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

In June Renato said "At this stage second half of 2017 is the most likely." talking about Reiza2017.

2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

They said 2017 even before that, if I remember right they said it when they changed the plans to the crowdfund/SCE and announced AMS (that didn't have a name at that time yet I think)
    I do believe DX11 would be a much more safe target for a small studio like Reiza. But if they are going to risk I wish they'd go Vulkan instead, who knows maybe they could even get some AMD sponsorship

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

means you have to use Win10 and let others dictate what you´re allowed to do on your PC and total transparency of all your doings on your super 10000 Euro machine?

Question: Are you running just one game or program that requires Win10???

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I have over 300 games on Steam, Games I recall from my memory which is DX12 are, Hitman, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Ashes of the Singularity, and Gears of War.

Edit your profile mate I doubt that you are still using Win XP.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

At least one good hint from you :p

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

ROTTR only actually started using some DX12 functions with the recent patch, before that you often got a worse framerate if you selected DX12 than DX11.

But as he said required, none of those you mentioned require Windows 10, they just require it for DX12... You can still use DX11 and Win7. :) It even is the base required for VR.

At this point (and the point he's making - I take it), no dev can abandon Windows 7 right now. DX11 is the focus platform for devs of any genre. DX12 is an extreme, future thing, or marketing.

A lot of devs (as I think I said before) will be in a lot of trouble with DX12, they won't be able to use it (as intended) as they'll need to learn quite a lot.

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes you are right, only Rise of Tomb Raider build 1.0.668.0. and Hitman are running better with DX12. I don`t recommend anybody to buy any games at the moment just be course they are DX12 games and as you mention It is still early days of DX12.

Community Q&A
    Graphics/Performance
    Q: Any internal talks about DX11 in the future ? Is the move to DX11 much to complex?
    A: It’s not about complexity, it is about benefit. There isn’t enough benefit to using it right now, though that does not mean there won’t be benefit going forward (though that might be with DX12, DX13, etc.

When I read your post above,Community Q&A and all posts from this topic, "Any internal talks about DX11 in the future" > "There isn’t enough benefit to using it right now" > "(though that might be with DX12, DX13, etc)" > "A lot of devs (as I think I said before) will be in a lot of trouble with DX12" = No DX11.:(

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

'does not mean', 'might', as per other comments from ISI regarding this area.

Why do you insist on distilling that to yes/no? They don't know, we don't know. That's it.

If DX11 would give no benefit, by the way, what are we losing by not having it?

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Just to clarify, "there isn't enough benefit" isn't saying there is no benefit. More a reflection on cost vs. benefit. This is my take on it.

Lets put the core programmers onto a DX11 swap, which will probably take many many months to properly implement or maybe even up to a year (iRacing for example). And the result of which might be better memory management, slightly higher framerates maybe, and features such as tessilation, some better driver support? Not sure, but I'm sure the devs have all done their research.

During that time, work on features to the actual core of the game have slowed down significantly. Possibly stuff like improving the physics models and systems in the sim (car systems, rules, AI, etc), better weather implementation, better lighting and graphics, whatever it might be.
    Those are things that everyone playing the sim can really get benefits from. To have them spend that time on wet weather racing and the racing environment for example, I would much prefer to see that and I think that would have a bigger impact than saying "we have DX11, and the small benefits that it brings". It does bring benefits, but for that amount of time, and possibly the risk of introducing new bugs, it isn't worth it.

Not to mention that I would bet people would continue to s**t on the sim as "it should have had DX11 at the start, we haven't had anything new added to the sim apart from DX11" blah blah. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Huge performance boost is not a benefit in your mind?

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Just to info iRacing DX11 gives me about 50-60 higher fps.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

While we know iRacing showed a nice fps improvement (+25%?), we don't know how much of that came from rebuilding content and how much came from programming. If rebuilding content is required to achieve the fps gain, then the effort required is significantly more.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That pretty much shows why it's time for rF3 :p

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

iRacing gave huge fps (+100) boost when first patch was released and of-course you are right final version of DX11 (standalone) is not released. You know as well as I do that Matsusaka is the first rF2 track that does fit to 2 GB VRAM with full details and a small grid. If you read technical forums you find out that there are loads of people who are suffering with all kind of performance issues, everybody can not afford GTX 1080 :p. I think it is huge time to make some changes before it is to late.

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

I race with a 7850 2Gb, that has been handling rF2 fine with a i5 3570k for a wee while now. Going back a few generations of cards, and they can still produce decent results.

The thing I forgot to mention is that ISI might have an idea on where rF2 spends all it's processing power at it's disposal. I wouldn't think the graphical side of things isn't what is having a big impact on fps, but more the physics processing behind the scenes. They may have also been able to figure out that it won't give them as significant of a boost going to DX11, being that it won't be affecting those areas of the sim.
    The tyre and physics systems being so complex and processing intensive I wouldn't think will be sorted with DX11.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm not sure it's physics being the issue, rF2 seems to not benefit much from CPU upgrades. But I agree I think the average user is fine with how rF2 runs at this point, I've had less and less complaints about performance from league members this year. Some ultra high resolutions and VR stuff will indeed benefit much from DX11, but to the average user who runs at around 100 FPS, adding another 100 FPS makes little difference. Soon GTX 1000 series cards will become mainstream and then that 100 FPS benefit already comes from updating your GPU. I think a high-end GTX 700 series card is already giving the performance needed to run rF2 at almost every maxed.

The Matsusaka VRAM thing I'm 99% sure is not going to be improved by any DX update, it's just that the high-poly objects and high-res textures used on this track take up a certain space in RAM, nothing of which any DX version can magically compress to my knowledge. Race tracks are a bit problematic because they need to have everything loaded into VRAM at once, unlike games like GTA V, which dynamically fetches stuff as you move in the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Wellll it's hard to argue with that sample size.

18. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Well maybe i'm an average user or not but with my setup i can just hold everything at 60fps. So a performance boost without me spending again a lot of money on the hardware side would be very welcome

19. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I didn't see arguments like #382 in iRacing forums when users was asking DX11 support. What an stupid company iRacing is when didn't think that soon GTX 1000 series cards will become mainstream and there is no benefit with DX11 support:)Seems that iRacing is waisting lof of time and effort to all kind unnecessary support like: "What’s New in Version 368.69 WHQL iRacing: Motorsport Simulator - added DirectX 11 SLI profile" when the the average user is fine with hes single screen 24" 60 fps system :) Posts like #382 makes me also to wonder why the hell I own modern car when I can get from A to B also with T Ford or with 40 years old Lada :confused:

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Too late for what?

Is the world going to end? Has there been some shocking revelation that sometime soon the game will become extinct?

Maybe stop over analysing statements and take them for what they say rather than reading between lines that aren't there. Go enjoy the game... I mean, that is what it is there for right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.